Monday, June 09, 2008

Thinking Differently

So a few years back, I was talking to another author, and I said how I expected things to start trending towards seeing more omniscient POVs in the next 5-10, maybe 20 years.

She basically looked at me like I was an idiot and told me no way, things were getting closer and closer every day. (Which, by the way, I completely agree with.)

I basically looked at her like an idiot and said that, at some point, there would be no closer to go. Why couldn't she see that if things were getting closer, that at some point, things were going to cycle around to more distant?

Nothing stays the same.

It's going to trend in the other direction, at some point. Who knows when. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it'll be 100 years before things start trending a more distant POV. Could be 200 years. Could be 50.

My point is, I'm not sure why people get so caught up in defending how things are now.

Because it's going to change, and that's a guarantee. The only guarantee.

I've been thinking about my ego and writing lately. Sometimes I wonder if I'm pursuing NY publication for ego reasons.

I haven't done anything on pseudonym's site for months, not a real update for about 2 years. And yet day after day, I get traffic. More and more traffic that I'm just letting pass by.

I don't know.

I need to start thinking differently, too.

2 bonus scribbles:

Edie 6/09/2008 07:29:00 PM  

Thinking differently depends on what you want, your ultimate goal. As for POV, I wouldn't care that much either way. Whatever works. If omniscient becomes more acceptable and I could see it working in a book, I'd use it. Why not?

The Dark Scribe 6/09/2008 08:13:00 PM  

But shifting thought is always a good thing. The industry backs me up on that, too. One week memoirs are hot, the next they're overdone. Most publishers won't even look at something even remotely Dan Brown-ish. So a shift in the way you approach your writing should be welcome, and it should be natural. I always try to approach every story I write a little bit differently. It helps keep the words coming and the ideas fresh.