Saturday, June 07, 2008

Wow: I'm a Slash!

How freaky. This morning, I sat down and opened my Google Reader, and Mark Terry asked about identity in Who Are You? Then, I scrolled down, and what did I find? A Lifehacker post on a workshop at Google about  "Slash" identies.

A slash is like me: Pianist/Piano Teacher/Pseudonym/SpyScribbler: someone with multiple careers. It talks about an "Over work ethic," and the challenges of being a "slash."  Like juggling multiple identities, and using time wisely.

The workshop is at Google, and it's with Tim Ferris of 4-Hour Workweek and--my favorite--the author of One Person/Multiple Careers by Marci Alboher.

My favorite quote: "Being a slash is to allow yourself to inhabit all the roles you want to play."

That's hardest for me, because, for one, I feel like our society expects us to do ONE thing, that ONE thing being a mark of success. 

The questions I get all the time are: "Do you just write? Do you just teach piano?" That just is perceived as proof of success. 

That doesn't work for me. I don't want to be a just.

I'm not crazy about Tim Ferris, mostly because I don't like his story about how he won the kickboxing championship. I don't think that's admirable. But I have learned a couple things from his book.

What I really loved was Marci's talk. I don't know what her book is about, but I'm checking it out.

I find it overwhelming, at times, to manage multiple careers. I feel like multiple identities, and I've started to integrate them into one personal identity, but it's a challenge at times.

They certainly gave me things to think about this weekend.

So what multiple identities to you juggle? How do you feel about the juggling? How do you integrate them?

18 bonus scribbles:

Erica Orloff 6/07/2008 11:25:00 AM  

I'm a slash.

A novelist/mom/freelance writer/ghostwriter/editor/gardener/knitter/activist/ESL volunteer teacher/mentor.

You get the idea.

The Dark Scribe 6/07/2008 11:38:00 AM  

Aren't all writers "slashes?" At least all writers not named Stephen King or Nora Roberts...and even they could be slashes if you count home life.

I guess I'm a writer/law student. Notice the order...I think that's important.

Good to see you again, btw. It's been awhile :)

Mark Terry 6/07/2008 03:44:00 PM  

In Ross Thomas's "Voodoo, Ltd" he refers to it as a "hyphenate."

As in:
She was an actress-director-producer.

LaDonna 6/07/2008 05:02:00 PM  

A writer/wife/mom/Mimi to my grandkids/reader/avid boater....

Spy, I didn't mention domestic goddess, but that's a given. LOL

Christina 6/07/2008 08:45:00 PM  

I wanted to stop by and say hey. You always have such cool stuff up. I hope everything is going good with all your projects. I love the "slash" I am finally living up to my writer "slash" self.

I finally got my eyebrow ring. I have the video on my blog. It doesn't show anything gory.

Edie 6/07/2008 09:36:00 PM  

I'm a writer/wife/mom/grandma/dog owner/cat slave. And a few more. :)

Bernita 6/08/2008 05:17:00 AM  

I have many slashes - some of them are on my heart.

spyscribbler 6/08/2008 10:19:00 AM  

LOL, Erica! You're like, the Slash Queen!

(That kinda sounds like a horror movie or something!) :-)

spyscribbler 6/08/2008 10:21:00 AM  

Dark Scribe! I can't believe you're back! I'd almost given up. I'm glad your first year of law school went well. I'm glad you're writing, too!

spyscribbler 6/08/2008 10:22:00 AM  

A hyphenate! I love it! I think I like slash better because it sounds so ... I don't know. Like you're slashing through life!

spyscribbler 6/08/2008 10:23:00 AM  

LOL, LaDonna. Domestic Goddess is certainly not a given with me! :-)

PS: I love the name, "Mimi!"

spyscribbler 6/08/2008 10:23:00 AM  

Christina, that's cool! You're very brave. I couldn't even bring myself to watch the whole thing before I chickened out!

spyscribbler 6/08/2008 10:24:00 AM  

Oh, Edie, I'm a cat slave, too! I almost forgot that. Well, they don't let me forget it. I mean, I almost forgot to mention it. :-)

spyscribbler 6/08/2008 10:24:00 AM  

Aw, Bernita. I love that.

Melanie Avila 6/08/2008 12:25:00 PM  

Technically I'm a graphic designer/writer, but I don't do much of either these days.

StarvingWriteNow 6/09/2008 09:36:00 AM  

That's funny... back when I was writing (and yes, I'm still trying, don't worry) when someone asked me if I'm "just" a writer I got kind of... offended. Like being a writer wasn't good enough or something.

LaDonna 6/09/2008 01:27:00 PM  

Hey Spy, I used the "Domestic Goddess" title rather loosely, as in I'm Goddess of my domain, and pick and choose what I do! LOL. And some days, it ain't a whole heck of a lot! I'd rather have fun.

spyscribbler 6/09/2008 03:04:00 PM  

Aww, you're getting there, Melanie!

Writenow, that's funny. It's funny how people interpret things differently. We humans are such odd creatures.

LaDonna, that's awesome! That's the way to live.