Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wow ... times, they are a-changin ...

So I got an email from one of my seven year-olds, his own email address and everything. I'm not sure why this surprised me, but it did. It cracked me up.

But then I got to thinking.

It was rather practical and wise for the mother to reserve her son's email address on gmail. I mean, if she waits until he's older, someone with the same first and last name will take that email address, and then where would he be?

As I was thinking on this, I was wondering how soon it would be when parents reserve their child's email address when they're born.

And then I got to wondering how soon parents would check email address availability as a factor in choosing a name for their child.

Then I wondered if parents would start reserving their child's domain name upon birth, so no one else would take it.

It's practical.

But, man, times have changed.

13 bonus scribbles:

Zoe Winters 6/19/2008 01:05:00 AM  

hahaha that's pretty funny.

Aimless Writer 6/19/2008 07:20:00 AM  

Amazing. But would you want your child's name on the internet to be found by anyone? When my kids were little I made them use fake names like the old CB handles just for safety sake.
Now, what if...suddenly the internet & email went away? Would communication on this planet suddenly stop? No blogs to read? Cyber friends lost? Information stalled? What if?

lainey bancroft 6/19/2008 09:43:00 AM  

Great video!

Changing indeed. Much as I'm a web junkie and love the blogs etc. sometimes I think the world would be a better place without all the easy access. I mean, my kids come home and MSN their friends. We used to walk to the park to chat with our friends--fresh air, exercise???

And I had a drink last week with the two ladies across the street. They're both on facebook and spent the winter sharing pictures of their home reno's over the facebook site. Um, I'm certainly not a coffee klatch sort, but in the good ole days, when you painted your kitchen you invited your neighbor over for tea to check it out! Actual face time, ya know?

StarvingWriteNow 6/19/2008 09:59:00 AM  

It probably won't be any different than planning your child's birth to fall under a certain sun sign or Chinese Zodiac symbol. But I can't begin to imagine being that--shall I say it?--anal that you would reserve an email for your kid.

Travis Erwin 6/19/2008 02:44:00 PM  

This is something that I never thought about, but I think my kids have odd enough names they should be fine.

mom2brie,  6/19/2008 10:22:00 PM  

Brie has her own email address - we had to get her one last winter so that she could participate in the family's Pro Football Pick'em game via Yahoo. In order to play, you had to have a yahoo email address. I laminated pictures of all of the helmets, and whichever helmet Brie touched first, that was her pick.

Anyway, that was so long ago, I forget her username and password - opps! But I do remember her email was her name @yahoo.com :)

spyscribbler 6/20/2008 11:45:00 AM  

Zoe, it's a different world!

Aimless, I'm not sure a name, if not paired with identifying information, is dangerous in itself. I mean, it's just a name. But I agree ... maybe the real name email should be kept under safekeeping until the son/daughter is old enough to need it for the professionalism they'll need for, say, college applications or their career.

ROFL, about your what ifs! I'd be devastated. Too many cyber friends lost, definitely.

spyscribbler 6/20/2008 11:46:00 AM  

Lainey, that's funny, because I'm mostly about face time with my local friends, to a fault. You know how I am about the phone. I'm just TONS more likely to email them and set up a meeting at a coffee house or martini bar, rather than call and chat, or even email much.

spyscribbler 6/20/2008 11:48:00 AM  

Writenow, true, LOL. Although, a lot of parents select names for the ... prestige-sound it may have when they're adults, you know? So those type of parents, in my mind, are more likely to secure that email and web address, so their kid can use them for their future professionalism value.

spyscribbler 6/20/2008 11:48:00 AM  

Travis, I never thought about it until I got that email. It did strike me as practical, LOL.

spyscribbler 6/20/2008 11:49:00 AM  

Ohmigosh, mom2brie, I have this insane urge to email her! Even though I know she can't read it, LOL, and I'm sure I'd have nothing interesting to say.

Melanie Avila 6/20/2008 12:46:00 PM  

Aimless - bite your tongue! I had a mini-panic attack at the thought of losing my online friends.

Eek!

spyscribbler 6/20/2008 04:37:00 PM  

LOL, Melanie! Me, too!