Thursday, July 03, 2008

The Best and Easiest App, My Gift to You

So I have beta invites to Dropbox. Do you want to try it? I'll give one to you. 2 GB of free storage. I've been using it for two weeks, and Oh. My. Gawd. is it awesome.

Lifehacker offered 500 this afternoon and they were gone within the hour. I sent Bill Henderson an invite, and he responded with a great post about Writing the Next Dropbox, meaning can you write the next breakout novel that has everyone begging for it?

Just a quick glance on what it does seamlessly, behind the scenes, without me doing anything:

  1. It automatically backs up my document online as soon I close Word.
  2. It automatically saves revisions. Right now, it's got 78 "revisions" archived of my WIP. A simple click, and I can retrieve that big chunk I deleted a couple days ago. Or not. :-)
  3. If you have more than one computer, it will sync between computers, even if one is a Mac and one is a PC. If you make a change on Mac, close it, and open it up on the PC, the change will be there.
  4. It backs up to Dropbox FAST. We're talking instantly. It did take awhile for my first 900 MB to upload, understandably, but a change in a document is backed up in under a second.
  5. If you put a file in your "Public" folder, you just right click to "copy link" (on your computer; you don't have to go online) to get a link for others to download your file. So if you click here, you get to see my cutie kitty looking very relaxed. (Tell me she isn't ADORABLE, I dare you!) Can be used on websites to share excerpts or whatever you want.
  6. You can share folders with anyone. So if you have a critique group, everyone can upload their stuff there, critique each other, and then go back to see the edits.
  7. And it does other things I just don't know about yet. :-)

DH and I use it for the studio. When he edits something, it's automatically changed on my computer. When I change it, the file is changed on my computer, AND backed up online. Since he prints stuff after I make stuff, this is a HUGE TIMESAVER for us.

It does tons of other things. Watch the video below, then if you want an invite to the beta to play with it, just email me at gmail. Or you can contact me on my handy little contact form that I installed all by myself after hours of trying to make it work.

It's so easy, even Lainey figured it out. ;-P

PS: I'm told Syncplicity works the same way, EXCEPT it's not going to work on Macs until later this year. It does, however, automatically sync with Google Docs, and the photos in your Facebook account. The free version will only work on two computers and up to 2GB, while it will be $9.99 for 40GB, plus $9.99 for each additional 50GB.

I expect, once they're out of beta, Dropbox will be about the same price.

5 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 7/03/2008 09:47:00 AM  

Sure, send me an invite! I'd love to try it.

lainey bancroft 7/03/2008 09:54:00 AM  

"It's so easy, even Lainey figured it out. ;-P"

'K, just for that I'm gonna tell you your kitty isn't the cutest. (Awe shoot. Ya know I'm lying. She's (he's?) adorable!)

And dropbox is the BESTEST! Set myself up on Mac and then ran upstairs to set myself up on Evil Old Laptop and then ran downstairs to see if the changes made it. They did. Tee Hee. Lather, rinse, repeat. =)

(Yes, I am aware that Evil Old Laptop is portable and could sit down here beside me, but I've gotta fit my exercise in somewhere)

Robin 7/03/2008 10:00:00 PM  

Spy: you, Lainey, starving writer, and everyone else who reads your blog are about a million times more computer literate than me. It took me 7 hours to figure out how to put a picture on my blog. I was crying at the end. Google Reader is probably as cool as I'm ever gonna get.

Edie 7/03/2008 10:35:00 PM  

If you still have an invite available, I'd love one. Thanks! If Lainey can figure it out, I can. Well, maybe.

Kevin 7/04/2008 07:17:00 PM  

Thanks for the post! If you have any invites left i would love to get my hands on one.

Have a great 4th!