Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hasbro Killed Scrabulous

If you're on Facebook, if you're my friend on Facebook, then you might know I love Scrabulous.

Which is why I'm devastated they killed it.

What's more, the "Scrabble Beta" is too slow. Prettier, but... just more clunky.

I'm beyond devastated. What meanies. Couldn't they have competed with Scrabulous on their own terms and WON us over, rather than FORCING us over?

Please someone explain to me: Scrabble is over 60 years old? Isn't that beyond copyright?

Scrabble Beta is TOO SLOW! More is not always better!

12 bonus scribbles:

Melanie Avila 7/29/2008 12:33:00 PM  

Does that mean I win all my active game? ;) It still works in Mexico!

StarvingWriteNow 7/29/2008 04:45:00 PM  

How about we get together and just play the actual board game? It could start a nation-wide retro board game revolution!

Travis Erwin 7/29/2008 05:19:00 PM  

Let's all move to Mexico!

Zoe Winters 7/29/2008 09:28:00 PM  

It would depend on several factors. I'm not sure if Scrabble factors under patent, copyright, or trademark, or several. And sometimes these things can be extended. I'm not sure what the official "time limit" though is.

One thing is for sure, this move was very short sighted on scrabble's part. Yeah, so people decided to play a free version on the internet, at least they're PLAYING scrabble. When peeps get together in person to play scrabble, they're going to play with an ACTUAL scrabble board.

This makes no sense, they won't make money directly of the internet scrabble application, and they weren't losing money from scrabulous. Just plain stupid, and pissed off a bunch of people.

Peeps have enough entertainment options that they are no longer obligated to get something from just a big brand name company. The big brands should remember that. I know I'll never buy another scrabble board. This kind of thing irritates me.

spyscribbler 7/30/2008 08:04:00 AM  

Ohmigawd, Melanie, I can't tell you HOW JEALOUS I AM! I wonder, if I change my location to Mexico, will I be able to play Scrabulous? Or do they read it by IP address?

spyscribbler 7/30/2008 08:05:00 AM  

Writenow, when I was in Borders in Columbus, they was a group who met regularly having a big Scrabble fest. I was so jealous!

spyscribbler 7/30/2008 08:07:00 AM  

Zoe, it irritates me, too! Such a bummer! And, if they had made their application as good, I would have likely switched of my own accord. Now I'm not so sure.

Dube 7/30/2008 01:15:00 PM  

Getting rid of Scrabulous was a low blow. :(

Melanie Avila 7/31/2008 12:30:00 PM  

Did you hear that today the Scrabulous Brothers (not to be confused with the Fabulous Baker Brothers) launched a different scrabble type game on Facebook?

It starts as a blank box, and users put their own double, triple, and QUADRUPLE squares wherever they want. You can mimic the original Scrabble board or put them wherever you want. The article I read said it'll do to Scrabble what arena football did to the NFL.

We'll have to check it out!

spyscribbler 7/31/2008 01:33:00 PM  

Oh, Melanie! I want IT! What's it called???