Sunday, July 06, 2008

No More Milk

It started with JUST one ice cream cone, because it's summer, and I'd just indulge in ONE ice cream cone.

And then I figured, since I'd already done the damage, I may as well have some cheese.  And then I'd go back to normal tomorrow.

Tomorrow never really comes, and just one more day has become one of my favorite sayings.

But milk gives me migraines, it makes me tired as heck, it makes me ADD as heck, and it even makes me depressed. It probably strange that milk can do all that damage if milk is cool with you, but it does.

You'd think with all that damage, it'd be easy to give up milk.

Nope. When I get tired and depressed, I want to eat. And of course I want to eat comfort foods. And every goshdarned comfort food in the history of mankind has milk in it. It's crazy.

Which leaves me to today. Do I throw away perfectly good cheese, perfectly good ice cream?

I have to. I hate wasting stuff, but I have to. I'm getting nothing done and I feel like I'm swimming in TV fuzz and going in slow motion.

Why do cheese and ice cream have to be so yummy? I think they're my favorite foods in the whole world.

You know, if I ate all the milk in the house today, I'd make myself so sick that I won't want to touch it for long enough to get unaddicted to it.

But then I wouldn't get anything done today, because I'd be sick.

*sigh*

This probably sounds ridiculous to you. Well, I had an ice cream cone last night. I can't come up with any other thoughts!

18 bonus scribbles:

Aimless Writer 7/06/2008 02:01:00 PM  

I've heard that you will crave what you are allergic too. True? Maybe.
When I first discovered I was Celiac I filled my house with things I liked that I could eat. (Celiacs can't have any gluten which is in wheat, barley, Rye or Oats-i.e.-bread, cookies, cake, breaded anything, crackers, pasta, etc)
So I found gluten free versions of these foods to indulge in. That way I didn't feel so deprived.
So, are there any milk free ice creams out there? Rice Dream? Toffutti?
I hope you feel better! Drink lots of water-flush out your system!

Stephen Parrish 7/06/2008 02:50:00 PM  

Of all the posts I've ever read about having an ice cream cone, this one is the best.

Travis Erwin 7/06/2008 03:24:00 PM  

I guess milk doesn't always do a body good.

spyscribbler 7/06/2008 04:42:00 PM  

It's totally true, Aimless. It's something to do with adrenaline. I'm not sure exactly, but my memory says that when you eat something you're allergic to, you get a rush of adrenaline. Then you get addicted to that rush of adrenaline.

So when I'm tired from eating dairy, I crave it all the more so I can get that jumpstart.

I think it's like coffee or something. And I don't know, just what my memory says.

I'm drinking a gallon of water today. Thanks for reminding me!

spyscribbler 7/06/2008 04:42:00 PM  

LOL, Stephen. That's a scary thought!

spyscribbler 7/06/2008 04:42:00 PM  

Definitely not, Travis! :-(

Robin 7/06/2008 05:01:00 PM  

That sucks, Spy. If I had to give up ice cream, I'd crumble into dust like a vampire in the sun. I'm going to devote the rest of my life to finding a cure for this malady. At the very least, perhaps we can make you a super hero. (Isn't that how most super heroes are created? Cure for malady gone wrong?)

Zoe Winters 7/06/2008 06:13:00 PM  

heh, I'm not allergic to milk, but I've found that milk DOES make sinus crap worse when you have it. So I try to avoid dairy most of the time. Though I have it on occasion. But I have found since giving up ice cream and cheese for the most part that I was able to get over my last weight loss plateau. Cheese and ice cream are evil on your abs.

spyscribbler 7/06/2008 06:42:00 PM  

Oooh, Robin, I like the idea of being super hero. I always wanted to be Wonder Woman!

spyscribbler 7/06/2008 06:44:00 PM  

Zoe, dairy is definitely evil. It often gives me asthma attacks, it keeps me awake trying to get my breath, and it makes me gain weight.

But you're right. When I cut it out, I love seven or so pounds within a couple days. I know it's water weight, but I don't care: it's gone!

Melanie Avila 7/06/2008 07:27:00 PM  

I don't think I could live without dairy. I try to stick with low fat yogurt and skim milk, but it MUST be full-fat cheese. I am throwing my encouragement behind Robin to find that cure!

Water is good, too. :)

Edie 7/06/2008 09:51:00 PM  

I can't have too much ice cream or I get a migraine and feel sick too. I can have a little, so it's not too bad. Aimless has a good idea. My vegetarian sister eats tofu ice cream and says it's delicious. It's also expensive, which is why I haven't tried it.

Hope you feel better soon.

StarvingWriteNow 7/07/2008 09:32:00 AM  

dear, dear... you've done it again, haven't you?

How did the writing go?

spyscribbler 7/07/2008 10:03:00 AM  

LOL, Melanie. I hope she does! I'm definitely a full-fat cheese person. Cheese rocks.

spyscribbler 7/07/2008 10:05:00 AM  

Edie, I can sometimes have a little. It's just that line is not clear, and a little leads to a little more, and I get stuck.

I hate tofu ice cream and rice dream, too. Ick. I would love to see someone make ice cream with almond milk, though. I keep thinking to try myself.

spyscribbler 7/07/2008 10:05:00 AM  

LOL, Writenow. I didn't do a spot of writing yesterday. I had a glorious day off. :-)

Melanie Avila 7/07/2008 02:49:00 PM  

*gasp*

I just had an awful thought. Can you eat sour cream? That's a regular in my diet and I forget it's dairy.

Oh, you poor, poor thing.

spyscribbler 7/07/2008 03:02:00 PM  

No dairy. I can sometimes stomach butter if it's not too much. (Try living with butter! Eating dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate!)

Dairy is in everything. You wouldn't believe! Even birthday cake. :-(