Thursday, July 10, 2008

Obama Writes to the Market

I wasn't going to blog about this, because... political blogging is just not my thing. But I can connect this to writing, watch:

I had hoped the end of Mad King George's reign would mean an end to the erosion of human rights, freedoms, and honor in our country's politics. Well, hell, it's not like I have high standards when it comes to politics. I didn't even mind so much about the blowjob of Clinton. After Mad King George's reign, it doesn't even seem that embarrassing. But this takes the cake. No, the waterboarding took the cake, although I will admit it took me at least a year to come to a firm decision on the issue.

And Obama.

I did not start out an Obama supporter. The health care issue is important to me, and I preferred Hilary's plan to Obama's.

I mean, all civilized countries have health care except us.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic to call us civilized.

But I'm a good sport. Obama won, cool, and I agreed with him well enough to vote for him.

The past few days, I've felt just sick to my stomach. Right now, I feel like crying.

I don't at all like the direction this country has gone in the past eight years. I had hoped the end of Mad King George's reign would mean an end to that direction. But Obama has made me sick to my stomach, just sick to my stomach.

Honor and integrity. What I wouldn't give for a smart man of honor whose politics I generally agree with. Not voting for Obama is a vote for McCain. Still. I may just be writing someone else's name in. Even if Hilary becomes VP.

I know my fault is idealism. But it's clear this country is craving some ideals. I hope we find some.

You know how the popular writing advice says to write the book you can write, don't write to the market? Well. Obama writing to the market is not going to sway McCain supporters; McCain IS that market. Obama writing to the market is just going alienate Obama supporters.

I'm pretty sure the terrorists have just won. I am disgusted.

I know voting is often voting for the least worst. But I had really hoped it wouldn't come to that, just this once.

Oh, to go back in time.

I wonder what's going to happen in the last few months of Bush's reign. Can't wait to see. Joy, joy. History in the making: a study in a tyrant's endgame.

I really don't know where to go from here, so I now return to playing with my computer.

Thanks to Barry Eisler:

Become a StrangeBedfellow!

31 bonus scribbles:

Aimless Writer 7/10/2008 07:49:00 AM  

Yikes! I'm a big political follower. I work in local politics and have a trickle up effect to the big games. I'm a democrat but vote for whoever I think is best for the job regardless of party lines.
"Mad King George"- lol. I love that phrase!
I don't think we'll see any relief in the economy until we have a dem in office. This is due to the fact that people have lost faith in Georgie and his peeps.
I didn't like Hillary because she didn't dump Blow-job-Billy when he cheated on her. And Monica was just 18 when this happened-still a kid in my book. I think Hilly stayed with him for political reasons. Not an honest reason to stay married.
Obama? Do we have a choice? Will he get us out of Iraq safely? Improve healthcare? Make Gay rights/marriage a federal law? (talk about discrimination!) Do something about these out of control gas prices? (my cousin had to take a second job to afford the gas to get to her primary job which has health ins so she can't afford to leave it. Is that crazy or what?)
Ooooo, I'm ranting now-sorry!
Obama, the lesser of two evils.
:)

StarvingWriteNow 7/10/2008 08:08:00 AM  

I must have missed something. What writing to the market did he do?

Karen Olson 7/10/2008 08:41:00 AM  

I've been a huge Obama supporter from the get-go. I definitely drank the Kool Aid on his "hope" campaign, and I truly believe that he believes it.

But I've been sorely disappointed these past two weeks, especially with FISA. And with all the Democrats on this issue. I have no idea why they keep pandering to the Bushies, when Bush's approval rating is so so low.

And this morning I heard that the Democrats are now considering that offshore drilling plan by the GOP. WTF???

I will not vote for McCain, and Obama will be better. I know that. But I just wish he'd go back to who he was six months ago and continue to rejuvenate the country rather than try to lure GOP voters who won't vote for him anyway.

Stephen Parrish 7/10/2008 08:58:00 AM  

He's reassessing his stance on Iraq as well, moving toward the center, saying what needs to be said to get into the White House. Anything is better than Mad George, but I was hoping to vote for an honest person this year.

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 09:06:00 AM  

I agree about having a dem in the office. I hear about your cousin. That's horribly common, now. It's horrible, horrible, horrible.

Aimless, at this point, I have little hope left for any real change.

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 09:08:00 AM  

Writenow, he voted for warrarntless wiretraps, with retroactive immunity for telcoms. Just google "Obama FISA." I am so disgusted, I can't tell you. (Not that you didn't notice, eh?)

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 09:13:00 AM  

Karen, I watched that Kool Aid. I really hoped it was real Kool Aid. Considering how upset I am right now, I'd say I hoped a lot more than I thought that it might be real.

A surprising number of people are upset about the reluctance offshore drilling thing. They haven't read into it past the words "we have oil," and assume it will mean quick relief for us.

My guess is he's aiming for those Dems.

Which makes me have the unfortunate thought, "Would you citizens read just a LITTLE before you start jumping on a bandwagon???"

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 09:17:00 AM  

Stephen, I was, too. I was really hoping for some real leadership out of the current mess of things. I'm actually scared for the country at this point. I was counting on the Dem to be a leader of real solutions.

Aimless Writer 7/10/2008 09:24:00 AM  

I wonder why we don't hear more about McCain's involvment in the Keating Five?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five

Karen Olson 7/10/2008 09:30:00 AM  

We don't hear about McCain because it's easier for the pundits to go after "the liberal," the guy no one knows very well yet.

As for offshore drilling, the oil companies own about 60 percent of leases already that they've shut down and claim are not producing. If they shut them down, I think they should lose the lease. Why is this so hard to deal with?

We just put a deposit down on a pellet stove after getting a $704 oil bill from our oil company for topping off our tank to the tune of 150 gallons at $4.699 a gallon. I think people who try to move away from oil dependency and try to conserve should get some sort of tax writeoff for it, an incentive. Because there are going to be a lot of people here in the Northeast who could freeze this winter because they can't pay their oil bill.

Karen Olson 7/10/2008 10:00:00 AM  

Although I've just read this column, and it makes loads of sense:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/opinion/10collins.html?ex=1216353600&en=2167011d8e272af5&ei=5070&emc=eta1

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 10:01:00 AM  

LOL, Aimless, I forgot about that. I haven't paid much attention to McCain because I know I'm not voting for him for sure.

Edie 7/10/2008 10:09:00 AM  

As far as I'm concerned, the only politician who stands by his principles is Russ Feingold. I was hoping Obama would be better, but, nope. McCain is an even worse choice. It's disheartening.

eric-mayer 7/10/2008 10:52:00 AM  

It's all very sad. The shrub is probably the most hated president in history and still the Democrats are too spineless to stand up to him. Or...wait...maybe they like big business better than people too! Seems like the Americans are just a bunch of sheep, kept penned in by the government -- no rights, no health care, not enough jobs -- just there to be fleeced by corporations.

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 11:11:00 AM  

Karen, I heard someone say our gas bills this winter could be up to $2,000 higher. I couldn't find any source for that, although I didn't dig real deep. Is that true? If it is, I'll be shivering all winter long.

I can't get that article to open for me. It's not you, my internet is whacky today. Maybe Bush is fucking with my internet because I called him Mad King George. ;-)

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 11:22:00 AM  

Finally got the article, Karen. I understand that, and I understand his desire to appeal to the middle. (I should point out that didn't work for Gore or Kerry.)

Perhaps I am more left than I thought. My problem with Obama from the start is that I think his half measures will do very little good, particularly for health care. This country has gone far past half measures, in my opinion. I think we need BIG solutions NOW for the energy and healthcare problems.

But half measures are better than no measures, I will definitely concede that.

This vote, yesterday, violates our rights, though. It violates them.

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 11:25:00 AM  

Totally disheartening, Edie. Totally. Sometimes it's no wonder at all to me that some people don't vote. I disagree with it, but at the same time, I understand how they get to that place of just not caring and feeling like their vote won't matter.

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 11:28:00 AM  

That's the FREAKIN' TRUTH, Eric! Cripes! Totally! That's exactly how I feel, at least. Every time I imagine us in two years' time, I'm horrified. I'm actually scared, although I'm a little embarrassed to admit it.

I never, until the reign of Mad King George, understood the President had this much power. I still don't understand how this President has this much power. It's like we've got a dictator on a throne, with no checks and balances. For the last eight years I keep saying, WTF?

Karen Olson 7/10/2008 11:50:00 AM  

We are a bunch of sheep, Eric. When it came out that the government was checking everyone's phones, I had friends say, Who cares? I mean, what about our right to privacy? They didn't care.

Spy, oil prices are through the roof. Not sure about gas, although I'm sure everything will be higher this winter. Our electric rates keep going up, too. This is what happens when you deregulate everything.

And don't get me started on credit card debt...

Ted Koppel is doing a fascinating series on China on the Discovery Channel. It started last night and is continuing tonight. Watch it. It's very eye opening...

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 11:55:00 AM  

I think I will. I'll write that down. I have to remind myself, because I never watch TV anymore. It honestly hasn't been on since DH left in May. I hear Burn Notice is on tonight, too, and I've always wanted to catch that.

Melanie Avila 7/10/2008 12:35:00 PM  

Spy, first, I fricking LOVE the Mad King George. I plan to use that from now on. :)

I'm with you - I favored Hillary for the health care issues (and experience) but I'll support whoever is the Democratic nominee. I have to get my absentee ballot in the works so my vote actually counts.

As for everything else, I'm as disgusted as the rest of you and I worry for our future. Sometimes that's the only thing making me pause when I say how badly I want to move back to the US.

Karen Olson 7/10/2008 12:38:00 PM  

The China show is on at the same time as Burn Notice, but you can watch full episodes of Burn Notice online anytime.

I don't think anyone really realizes the huge role China is going to be playing in the world in years to come, and is already playing.

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 12:59:00 PM  

China is a HUGE issue, I agree. Huge, huge, huge.

I forgot about online viewing for that. I watch online for the Big Three, but I forgot the cable networks had online episodes, too! Very cool!

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 01:35:00 PM  

Melanie, it definitely falls into the category of one of "little darlings," LOL. I was kind of disappointed it never caught on.

Yay for voting! I confess I haven't pressed to order DH's absentee ballot, just in case he's not back. I'll support his right to a differing opinion, but I'm not going to go out of my way to order him a ballot if he's not going to.

*sigh*

Heather Harper 7/10/2008 03:38:00 PM  

I normally vote conservative (and yes, conservative voters feel Washington has screwed them), but I voted for Hillary in the primary because of Obama's lack of experience. (No use voting for a republican because McCain was already winning.)

I don't believe voting for McCain is a vote for Bush. Hillary is more conservative than McCain. But I'm not crazy about either candidate. I think everyone is scratching their heads this year on who to vote for. I don't blame them.

Zoe Winters 7/10/2008 04:28:00 PM  

The problem with our healthcare is that they've let the pharmaceutical companies take over. Most doctors now know more about the "products" they're pushing than they do about medicine as a practice. Which makes any health care program on top of that scary no matter how it works or who's paying for it.

Edie 7/10/2008 07:12:00 PM  

I'm with Eric. And I don't think the problem is just the pharmaceutical companies. Some of the cried to the health insurance companies and the politicians who let them screw us.

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 07:26:00 PM  

Heather, I honestly have no idea whether I'm conservative or liberal, or whatever, although I'm pretty certain it's liberal. I don't believe McCain is a vote for Bush, either, but I know I don't want McCain.

I will, however, concede that it is a democracy and boty you and my husband are allowed to vote for McCain. ;-)

I'm starting to feel like it really doesn't matter who we vote for. I hope I feel better tomorrow.

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 07:27:00 PM  

Zoe, AMEN! AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!

Amen.

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 07:30:00 PM  

Edie, you're right. It's a freaking mess. The medical business has completely messed up health care. It always boils down to greed.

Let's make more profit this year; who cares how many people die. Not our fault.

Heather Harper 7/11/2008 01:43:00 AM  

I'm very conflicted about who to vote for because I don't support tax and spend. But the conservatives of this admin have been BIG spenders. Voters values have gone out the window.

But I do lean moderate to liberal on social values. I would probably be swayed with Hillary on the ticket.