Saturday, July 26, 2008

Speaking of Admirable People...

How can you read this article on all Anatoly I. Pristavkin and not want to pick up a copy of Inseparable Twins? He led the Presidential Pardons Commission:

The commission dealt with sad, perhaps small cases.
They included the father of three small children who had
stolen a gas tank worth $10.80 and who, for that crime,
had served three years and three months of a four-year,
two-month sentence. Another case involved a widow with
a disabled 4-year-old son doing five years for stealing a
purse containing $31.

He reduced the number of death penalty executions from 228 a year to about 10. Wonderful, no? And he had a Dickens childhood:

Anatoly Ignatyevich Pristavkin was born to a working-class
family on Oct. 17, 1931, in a Moscow suburb. When he was
9, his mother died, and a few years later, so did his father.
He was sent by train to an orphanage in the Caucasus. At
12, he went to work in a canning factory.

I'm definitely checking out his book.

8 bonus scribbles:

Stewart Sternberg 7/26/2008 12:21:00 PM  

I don't know why this reminds me of Les Miserables, but that reminds me of something else...have you ever been tempted to take a classic, well known work and twist it into something of your's doing your own take. You know, like the guy who wrote GRENDL as a response to Beowulf. Or WICKED, as a different take on The Wizard of Oz.

Melanie Avila 7/26/2008 01:16:00 PM  

It sounds like an interesting story. I just finished reading a book that revolves around Russia and I love that setting.

Edie 7/27/2008 08:36:00 AM  

Very interesting and admirable. I'm reading Destiny of Souls by Michael Newton right now. But I love reading auto-biographies and haven't for a while. Too many books to read and not enough time, dammit.

spyscribbler 7/27/2008 10:16:00 AM  

Stewart, it reminds me of Dickens. But YES I've been tempted to take a classic and twist it. I've been dying to play with Les Miserables, actually! It's haunting me!

spyscribbler 7/27/2008 10:17:00 AM  

Sounds good, Melanie! What book was it? My favorite book used to be a biography of Catherine the Great.

spyscribbler 7/27/2008 10:24:00 AM  

Edie, have you read the Reincarnationist yet? It's fiction on the same subject. Oh! And actually, there's another story I loved that revolved around the subject: Law of Love by Laura Esquivel. The last one really touched me. If I still have it, I'll send it to you. I'm not sure, but I think it's out of print. She's the one who wrote Like Water for Chocolate.

Edie 7/27/2008 05:40:00 PM  

I think it ws your blog on The Reincarnationist that inspired me to search out books on reincarnation and life between lives. I found out I'm more interested in the between lives stage.

I wasn't that crazy about The Reincarnationist. Can't remember why. I just went over to my library's website and ordered The Law of Love. I heart my library.:)

spyscribbler 7/27/2008 05:49:00 PM  

Oh cool! Edie, I've been having trouble with reading, lately. I love beginnings a whole lot.

I think you'll love Law of Love. It really dealt with reincarnation as a plot line and philosophical idea. It was very uplifting, too. Interesting.