Friday, July 18, 2008

Talk About Awkward...

You know, I do not condone raping and killing teenagers. However, there are rights. There is the golden rule. How we treat foreigners, whether we deny them access to a consulate or imprison, torture, and interrogate them without trial, we can expect our citizens to be similarly treated in other countries.

The U.S. embarrasses me sometimes.

As Mark Goldberg wrote in the article above, "I know if I were arrested in a foreign land, I'd want access to my consulate."

***

I keep writing, even though I should be going to sleep. I love when the story takes off like that.

But one thing: when writing in first person and the main character meets someone new, how do you handle the introductions?

"Hi, what's your name?"

Sometimes, they're practically all the way up to you know, and I'll have to stop and say, "what's your name?"

Ridiculous.

It's a problem. How do you do it? With, say, heroine and hero meeting alone, no third-party introductions?

I think I've mentioned before: I'd really just rather leave my characters nameless.

2 bonus scribbles:

Bernita 7/18/2008 07:53:00 AM  

I'm rather fond of "Who the hell are you?"

Melanie Avila 7/18/2008 01:03:00 PM  

My MC didn't get introduced for awhile, and then he was giving a fake name, lol. We'll see if that proves too confusing. Because he doesn't trust anyone, he doesn't tell him name till he's talked to someone a bit, so there are plenty of times I don't use any names.

BUT! this morning a small plot twist came to me that I couldn't believe I came up with! Look at me, creating plot twists! lol.