Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Touch & Some Dumb Questions

It cracks me up: all the Seattle's Best cafes have the exact same recipes. They all use the same ingredients.

Have you ever noticed that some baristas can make a drink better than others? That some just have the touch? There's one drink I will only order if one specific barista is going to make it, because only he makes it just right.

I almost caved on the no dairy thing today. I ordered a pizza online at Pizza Hut. The order didn't go through, and then it wouldn't let me place another order for 15 minutes. I then ordered a pizza online at Donatos, and even though I got the confirmation screen and everything, it disappeared when I arrived at the pickup window.

Is that a sign or what? It's okay, because Erin just gave me an awesome recipe for dairy-free ice cream. (THANK you!)

Now I'm sure this is a stupid question: What is rock salt? Where does one get it? I've always wondered.

Also, I need to clear out the house. There's too much stuff. I hate stuff. (One reason I want a Kindle.) I'm having a garage sale.

DH is the opposite of me. He likes stuff.

My dream home has some furniture, lots of empty surfaces, the bare essentials in the cupboards, and that's it. And all music, movies, and ebooks backed up online somewhere. A computer, a Kindle (well, a girl can dream, right?), a cell phone.

And, like, five pairs of pants, five pairs of shorts, fourteen shirts, two dresses. A pair of running shoes (hoping I can run again, that is), TKD uniform, black flats, sandals, and a pair of Crocks.

Maybe a little water fountain, a couple bamboo plants that my cats magically avoid chewing to pieces.

I can't think of anything else. I don't even want my TVs anymore; I watch everything on my computer.

So that's it; that's my dream house. I've already gone paperless by scanning my receipts and storing them on Shoeboxed.com. I store everything online now. I'm even scanning all my student's records.

So what about you? Are you "paperless" yet? What's your dream house like? How does one have a garage sale? Any tips? How do you price stuff?

21 bonus scribbles:

Edie 7/16/2008 07:03:00 PM  

If you saw all the scraps of paper on my desk, you would laugh at the paperless question. But I only print out my wip on the last draft. I hope it's the last draft.

My dream house is one story and has a lot of windows and wood floors.

I think the universe was giving you a huge message about the pizza. :)

spyscribbler 7/16/2008 07:07:00 PM  

That's cool, Edie! I wish I could give you my wood floors. My dream house is an RV. With no stuff. :-)

So true about the universe. It's probably rolling its eyes at me, saying, "The asthma attacks? The migraines? The depression and the tiredness? The muscle aches? THAT WASN'T OBVIOUS ENOUGH, YOU FOOL?"

conley730 7/16/2008 07:08:00 PM  

I think rock salt helps to freeze the ice cream. You can probably get it either where they sell ice cream makers or maybe call your grocery store and see if they have it. I'm glad you like the recipe! Maybe that will make you feel a little better when you really need that ice cream fix.

spyscribbler 7/16/2008 07:15:00 PM  

LOL, Erin. I'm so bad at calling. I have trouble with the phone. I'm weird. At times, I'll love to talk to pure strangers around. And at other times, I just don't want to talk to any staff. So I'll talk to everyone in the grocery store, but I'll avoid the staff and spend an hour trying to find things myself.

I'm a little nutso.

conley730 7/16/2008 07:23:00 PM  

Okay...Spynut! I googled rock salt, and hardware stores were the first thing to pop up, so I'd try your nearest hardware store! My mom made homemade ice cream for the 4th of July and it was soooooo good. Let me know if you make it. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Heather Harper 7/16/2008 07:44:00 PM  

I always used rock salt for icy drives and porches. Hence, the hardware shops...

I can limit dairy, but I have a heck of a time eliminating it.

Susan Helene Gottfried 7/16/2008 08:30:00 PM  

I have become a pack rat, sad to say. But my dream house is cool and uncluttered. Definitely.

That's probably why it's a dream.

Robin 7/16/2008 09:50:00 PM  

Unfortunately, I love stuff. I have my earrings all out on a counter in my closet, neatly arranged on earring trees. My younger son looked at them with a perplexed expression once, and asked if he'd have to buy his wife lots of earrings one day. I assured him that I would buy her earrings, to thank her for taking him off my hands.

Zoe Winters 7/16/2008 10:54:00 PM  

You can order pizza without cheese. Believe it or not lol.

spyscribbler 7/17/2008 08:14:00 AM  

LOL, I like that, "Spynut!" Sheesh, I know rock salt. I didn't connect the driveway with the kitchen. Sheesh. I am losing all my intelligence, LOL.

spyscribbler 7/17/2008 08:45:00 AM  

Heather, I know just what you mean. It's in EVERYTHING! Plus, it's yummy. And a life without butter???

spyscribbler 7/17/2008 08:47:00 AM  

Susan, it's my dream, too! It's not such a hard dream. I'm doing it next week! (But then, I don't have kids!)

PS: I thought you were in seclusion! Good luck on your story!

spyscribbler 7/17/2008 09:38:00 AM  

Robin, pretty earrings! I hardly have any earrings. In fact, I haven't put a pair of earrings in my ear but two or three times in the past five years! (I got them pierced at 4 years old, so they always stay open.)

spyscribbler 7/17/2008 09:39:00 AM  

Zoe, I know it! That's what makes my almost-faltering all the more shameful. :-) I wanted comfort food. :-(

lainey bancroft 7/17/2008 09:39:00 AM  

Gas and Groovy are terrible pack rats, Tech and I, not so much so we compromise. The garage is a disaster and the family room is a mess of shelves, books, dvd's, games....
the office and living room? MINE Barren to the point that my good friend (who has a gorgeous, Better Homes & Gardens decorating style) is forever nagging me to let her help me "finish" it pictures, faux greenery, candles vases etc. NO! It is finished!!!

Can't help you with the garage sale. I stink at them, particularly the pricing part. The last one we had was ten years ago before we moved and we got rid of all the baby furniture toys etc. A young couple walked over--very pregnant girl, scruffy guy, baby in derelict stroller. When she asked how much I wanted for my $300.00 tandem stroller I think I said three bucks. She got it, a change table, a miniature picnic table Gas made and a highchair all for about ten dollars and Gas delivered it for them because they didn't have a car. *shrug*

spyscribbler 7/17/2008 10:03:00 AM  

Oh, that's so nice, Lainey! I bet you made her year. That's awesome. I'm with you, though. I'm getting rid of EVERYTHING. I just can't take it!

StarvingWriteNow 7/17/2008 11:01:00 AM  

I'll never go completely paperless. I love the feel of it in my fingers. I love watching words flow across it. I love holding a real live book in my hands far too much to consider giving it up.

Word: Stay Away From Dairy! Or Else! :)

Michele 7/17/2008 01:52:00 PM  

Spy, I'm exactly the same way with the phone. Exactly. ::shaking head::

Love e-mail! :-)

spyscribbler 7/17/2008 07:39:00 PM  

Writenow: Yes ma'am! No dairy for me. I am eager to go paperless, particularly with receipts and office junk. With books, it's true I love the smell and feel of them.

But I love the idea of carrying eighty books in my purse more. :-)

spyscribbler 7/17/2008 07:41:00 PM  

Oh, Michele, I love it! I always feel so neurotic about the phone. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to hear a kindred spirit!

And you know, it also makes sense: with the phone, either you're interrupting someone, or they're interrupting you.

Melanie Avila 7/18/2008 11:47:00 AM  

I'm a little late to the party. I had a garage sale a couple years ago and had a terrible time figuring out pricing. Really, people will try to barter whatever price is on there, so as long as you don't price things TOO high, it should sell. And be ready for lots of two-for-one or five-for-one type offers.

My dream home will have lots and lots and lots of beautiful built in shelves for all my things. Some with doors, some with decorative boxes & file thingies, some open so I can look at my pretty books. Hardwood floors, overstuffed furniture, surround sound... ahhh....