Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Two Easy Tricks to Save You Time

So, do you ever get tired of having to stop typing, take your hand away from the keyboard, move the mouse to the programs menu, and select your program? Do you ever get tired of having to open the calculator in the middle of something? Of having to run over to IE, Firefox, or Explorer to pull up dictionary.com?

I have THE coolest thing for you: Enso. (Download both programs.)

It's free. All you do is press "Caps Lock" and then type "Open Word," and then hit the Enter key. Bam, up comes word.

Hit the Caps Lock again, type "define ratchet" and bam, up comes a definition of ratchet.

You can teach it open specific documents. 1.) Highlight the document you want to "teach" Enso. 2) Hit the Caps Lock key and type "Learn Novel."

That's it! Next time you want to open your novel, you type, "Open Novel," and Bam! Up comes your novel in word (or whatever program you set it to come up with.

It'll open ANY program. Once in awhile you have to "teach" it, but the website offers extremely easy directions. And really, there's nothing much to it except hitting Caps Lock and typing what you want.

It is SO handy. Enso rocks.

(You have to hold down the Caps Lock key while you type, unless you go to preferences and set it so you don't. I set it so I don't; I prefer it that way.)

Okay, one more:

I don't check my statistics often, maybe once a month or so. But I checked last week, and noticed that instead of one person a day clicking from Google Reader, ALL OF YOU are using Google Reader! Okay, not all. But a ton of you have made the switch, LOL.

Here's blogging timesaver number two:

You know how you leave a comment, and then you have to keep checking back to see if they've answered? Well, you don't have to anymore.

(This is easier than Dropbox, Edie, I PROMISE this time!)

  1. Go to co.mments.com.
  2. Register.
  3. Go to this page. Drag the appropriate button to your bookmarks toolbar.

That's IT!

Now, whenever you comment on a page or want to follow a discussion, click that little button. When you feel like checking to see if any other comments have been added to the discussion, you can go to co.mments.com and it'll display all your conversations!

All of them!

Sometimes I have to hit "refresh" to see if new comments have been added. And I have to remember to hit "remove" once I'm done following a conversation. But it's a HUGE timesaver.

I've noticed that all my friends now hang out on my other friends' blogs. I think that's the coolest. You guys probably found each other through each other, but still. It's the coolest.

The internet may be a huge place, but somehow we still find little communities for ourselves, don't we?

I was thinking of starting a little blog sometime, maybe like an AuthorHack blog, about ways to trick out your computer to save time and make the authoring business a little easier and less time-consuming. Is that a silly idea? What do you think? If you haven't noticed, geeking has become a bit of a hobby for me. :-)

10 bonus scribbles:

Susan Helene Gottfried 7/09/2008 10:24:00 PM  

Wait. You close your tabs and windows?

Does that mean you turn your computer off, too?

Wow.

spyscribbler 7/09/2008 10:30:00 PM  

LOL, Susan!

Off? The computer turns off? I don't think mine has an off button. Maybe there's one up there in the corner, but I can't see under the dust bunnies.

Last night I went to the bathroom and realized I was holding my computer.

Yikes. I shouldn't've admitted that.

Edie 7/09/2008 10:39:00 PM  

I'm not sure if I'd use this as much as Dropbox (which I love!). It doesn't take me long to go into programs and click on something new. I'll check it out but might pass. I wouldn't want people to think I know what I'm doing and ruin my reputation.

Melanie Avila 7/09/2008 11:22:00 PM  

That program sounds cool. I'm pretty fast with quick keys, but I might check that out.

Oh, and I think I'm the one person not using Google Reader. Every time I come to your site I think, Oh, right. I was going to look into that, then I get caught up in your post and forget.

*sigh*

Melanie Avila 7/09/2008 11:24:00 PM  

Oh! And I love that I see the same people at the different blogs I read. Just yesterday I was telling my gramma that the online writing community is surprisingly small.

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 02:42:00 AM  

Edie, we couldn't have that, LOL! One must preserve one's reputation at all costs.

Barrie 7/10/2008 04:43:00 AM  

How do you find all this stuff. You're a genius!

eric-mayer 7/10/2008 10:40:00 AM  

Both of these sound interesting, particularly the comments thingee. I generally keep programs I use a lot and documents I'm using on my desktop but, yeah, I need to reduce my browser to get at them. I use Bloglines to track blogs myself.

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 11:33:00 AM  

Melanie, so true! It's really huge, if you get out there, but it seems to break off into small, little communities I love.

Enso is awesome. I haven't completely integrated it into my routine (I forget it's there), but it's getting there. I haven't touched the Start button in days.

I use it a lot to spell check (it'll spell check anywhere), word count (it'll even word count this comment), and do all sorts of random stuff. I learn new features every day.

spyscribbler 7/10/2008 11:34:00 AM  

Barrie, I don't know! I just stumble across them.

Eric, the comments thingy is even cooler than a feed reader. I never tried bloglines, but I hear it's awesome.