Sunday, August 10, 2008

A 4 a.m. Story

I haven't written more than a few hundred words here and there these past two weeks. I haven't even had time to think about my story. It's been 12 - 14 hours of non-stop studio work every day. One more week of it, too.

I can't WAIT for fall and a REGULAR SCHEDULE!

You?

Before these three weeks, I was waking up at 4:30 to write on my front porch. Heaven. Strangely, I can wake up at 4:30 somewhat easily, but getting me out of bed anywhere between 6-9 is pure torture.

But when I'm working from 8am - 9:15pm, the 4:30am wake-up to write just does not happen.

And I was thinking today, I want a 4am story, a story that so possesses me I want to jump out of bed at 4am to write, no matter how tired I am.

Ever have one of those?

I get to write this evening, thank goodness. I miss it! I haven't even had time to imagine my story, that's how busy it's been. A priest once said that fasting (food or sex, he said, LOL) helps us appreciate what we have more.

I think that's true.

So I'm on a quest for a 4am story.

Can't wait for the Gymnastics events in the Olympics? Check out this video (thanks, Dube!). I'm pretty sure even the gold medalists can't do this stuff. I mean, WOW! At the end, your jaw will drop.

I can't believe that's possible!

21 bonus scribbles:

Melanie Avila 8/10/2008 11:44:00 AM  

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Wow. My jaw dropped at 1:41. Then again 30 seconds later, then at the big finale. Wow. I'm glad they had spotters!

I hope you find your 4am story. I love that excitement when an idea bursts into your head and must be written RIGHT THEN. :)

Zoe Winters 8/10/2008 03:56:00 PM  

Why are you working this hard? Is it a HAVE to situation for the money? Unless my only other option was living under a bridge, I wouldn't work this many hours.

I guess this is probably why a service business dealing directly with people in person is not for me. I cannot STAND to be beholden to other people with my time.

Zoe Winters 8/10/2008 03:57:00 PM  

And I don't mean I can't stand to give people my time to help them. I mean I cannot STAND: "every tuesday from 2:30 - 3:45 you will be at this place doing this thing."

No, epic fail. Can't do it. Can't stand it. Unless it's that or a bridge.

spyscribbler 8/10/2008 04:25:00 PM  

Isn't it amazing, Melanie? It's like a cross between diving, trampolining, and a balance beam! That is so cool.

And yeah, love the 4am stories!

spyscribbler 8/10/2008 04:27:00 PM  

LOL, Zoe. It's really not like that. In the summer, I do lessons very flexibly, so that whenever they're in town, cool. Most of my students do the "all-in-one-week" intensive, and there are always 2-3 weeks in which every student wants their week.

So in the summer, I get 3 weeks off, 2 three days weeks, 2 decent weeks of about 9-5ish, and then 3 crazy weeks of 12-14 hours a day.

It sort of evens out.

But every week is different, and by the end of the summer, I crave a regular schedule like you wouldn't believe!

Dube 8/10/2008 07:24:00 PM  

Cool! I'm glad you liked that video. It's being passed around the blogs it seems. :)

Edie 8/10/2008 07:59:00 PM  

That is awesome! I can't imagine being that brave.

I don't get 4am stories but I do get ideas at night that keep me popping out of bed and rushing to the office or bathroom to scribble notes. Love it when that happens.

Hope you get the 4am ideas again soon. :)

Robin 8/10/2008 09:10:00 PM  

I hate to tell you guys, but those are computer generated images. Human beings can't do that.

bellamocha 8/10/2008 11:54:00 PM  

Wow. I'll have to head for the gym after seeing that. Even if it isn't real....it's left me feeling very knotted.

I get 4 am stories too, but the worst for me is the 'in the middle of washing up, with my mother-in-law standing next to me' type...She doesn't appreciate it when I dash off to find a piece of paper, leaving the tap running :).....

bella :)

StarvingWriteNow 8/11/2008 06:53:00 AM  

I agree with you--I need some kind of regularness back in my life. School starts in 2 weeks for Son and I, so that should be interesting. And as for your previous post--man, do I ever need to get organized!

Michele 8/11/2008 01:41:00 PM  

Wow, I'm always floored by what athletes can do.

Hope you find your 4 AM story!! It's going to find you soon, no doubt. I guess what I mean is...you'll find each other. :-)

M.

Zoe Winters 8/11/2008 05:00:00 PM  

hehehe Okay Spy. I'm in mother hen rescue mode right now. I've offered rescue boats to two other writers with crazy schedules in the past 48 hours. Like, I will come beat up the mean people for you. :P

LaDonna 8/11/2008 07:32:00 PM  

I love your title, Spy! I've had a few, and haven't forgotten them either. I love a character that nudges, and wakes us up.

Here's to all those great characters!

spyscribbler 8/11/2008 11:49:00 PM  

Dube, it's awesome. BEAUTIFUL!

spyscribbler 8/11/2008 11:50:00 PM  

Edie, I am so lazy. When they pop in the middle of the night, I just keep imagining the story and I ALWAYS forget in the morning.

And let me tell you, they are my ONLY brilliant ideas!

spyscribbler 8/11/2008 11:51:00 PM  

LOLOL, Robin! It's astonishing. :-) When the two flipped together, I wanted to take physics again jsut to figure it out!

spyscribbler 8/11/2008 11:52:00 PM  

Bella, I need to work out SO much. BIG time. It inspires me, too.

The mother in law thing would drive me crazy. I couldn't bear that!

spyscribbler 8/11/2008 11:53:00 PM  

Writenow, I can't wait. When I got done teaching today, I told myself that I was halfway through my last week. Then I realized it was still MONDAY NIGHT!

I'd thought I'd taught two days, but it had only been one. This does not bode well!

spyscribbler 8/11/2008 11:54:00 PM  

Michele, if I could re-do my life, I think I would have been an athlete first. How cool would that be?

spyscribbler 8/11/2008 11:54:00 PM  

Zoe, read what I just wrote to Writenow, and float the rescue boat right on over here.

Four more days. Then a normal life again.

spyscribbler 8/11/2008 11:56:00 PM  

Ladonna, my current characters are nudging me. I gotta get on them! I re-read their story last night because it'd been awhile, and I'm in love again. :-)