Saturday, August 02, 2008

Freedom and Niceness

Google locked my blog for what felt like ever (but was really a day or two), telling me I was spam. I was horrified! All the time, all the friends, and I'm merely putting spam out into the world?

Talk about demoralizing.

Today I finally got in, and what do I see? An APOLOGY! How nice is that? It seems like no company every apologizes anymore. So kind. I'm considering sticking with Blogger out of sheer loyalty, even though I've been considering a switch to WordPress for awhile now.

My Jeep is out of its winter garage (it's 145,000 miles old, and doesn't have rust-proofing), so today I perked it up with an oil change and other miscellaneous charges, and had a blast driving it around town with the top off.

Yesterday, one of my adult students was here and I was petting my Jeep and showing it off, when I realized he didn't have a red BMW for nothing. So I politely told him that he had a cool car, too. I'm not sure he bought it, which is kind of sad, because really: why do you buy a red BMW except for people to be impressed that you have a red BMW?

And there I was, fawning over my green, detailed 1995 Jeep Wrangler with 145,000 miles, as if his red BMW didn't exist.

image If I had enough money for a red BMW, I would instead buy a Tomb Raider Jeep. They came out in 2002. I wanted one REALLY BAD, but I thought it was frivolous just to buy it because I wanted it. I bent the frame on my Honda Civic only a year later, and hardly a day goes buy where I wish I could have a Tomb Raider Jeep.

Someday, I will have a Tomb Raider Jeep. If you still want one seven years later, I'm pretty sure that's a big enough want to justify buying one. Right? (Just nod, please.)

I love riding in my Jeep with the top down. I'm not very good at being cooped up. Even when I'm teaching, you'll often find me with my hands and nose pressed to the all-glass front door, all the shades in the room raised all the way up.

And guess what? It cost ONLY fifty dollars to fill my gas tank up!!! Since the Cherokee topped out at $75, I'm pleased. And I drove to Walmart, Trader Joe's, and Borders, and not only did it not use up a quarter tank of gas, but it's STILL ON FULL!!!!

I love my Jeep. :-)  I'm pretty sure 90% of why I want to live out West is so that I can drive the Jeep with the top off year-round.

I am, evidently, obsessed with freedom.

So have you ever lusted for a car? Just because?

How's your weekend? Anything interesting? Your writing? (Eek! I'm asking that question on a Saturday instead of a Sunday??? What is the world coming to?!)

15 bonus scribbles:

Zoe Winters 8/02/2008 07:30:00 PM  

hehe I started out with blogger, but I went to wordpress very quickly because the blogger blog layout annoyed me. Actually there were a million little things about it that annoyed me.

I don't think I've ever lusted for a car, except maybe the newer VW beetle. I think those are pretty adorable. Otherwise as long as it gets me where I'm going and has AC in the summer and Heat in the winter, I'm cool.

Of course right now I don't have a car, so these needs are in the cars I ride in, lol.

lainey bancroft 8/02/2008 07:30:00 PM  

I have a secret (very secret as you--and your gazillion readers--are the first ones I've told) yearning for a red mercedes benz convertible. Partly because the off spring swear I sing like "that shrieky lady" and, Lord wont'cha buy me a mercedes benz...
and partly because I loved the show Hart to Hart and watching them tool around in their hot little car.

Had a jeep I adored, then traded it in for a mommy-mobile to truck around the kids I adored far more!

Yes, when I checked your blog earlier I got a 'internet explorer can not connect' message. Glad they apologized!

Melanie Avila 8/02/2008 07:59:00 PM  

I wondered where you were!

I've wanted a Jeep for as long as I can remember. It must have started before I even hit double digits, yet I've never owned one. We've had many problems with our car here and I've made sure my husband knows what I'd like if we have to replace it. (He wants an original Beetle, which are also cool, especially since they customize them here.)

My writing is going well, thanks for asking. :) We're on the run from the FBI!

Eric Mayer,  8/02/2008 08:05:00 PM  

Somehow I expect my 2000 Hyundai Elantra doesn't qualify as a cool car. However, it meets my exacting specifications for cars -- it runs.

Robin 8/02/2008 10:12:00 PM  

OK. I'll admit it. I lust after a Mini Cooper. A little green Mini with a beige interior. But it doesn't get good enough mileage, so now I'm lusting after the new Prius which will have solar panels. How cool is that?

Edie 8/03/2008 12:19:00 AM  

I don't lust after cars. I lust after a vacation to Scotland and Ireland, and maybe a detour to a few other spots.

I'm watching the links for the RITA/GH winners. I heard Karin Tabke won Mentor of the Year. Yay, Karin!

I'm stuck on my scene. It's the stage managing, of all things. I need to know where they are and it's not clear to me. Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and it will be clear.

Karen Olson 8/03/2008 11:13:00 AM  

You're not the first Blogger blogger to say you were mistaken for spam recently.

Like Zoe, I don't lust after cars. I drive a Honda Accord, my husband's got a Honda Civic. They're both good on gas (I only gas up once a month because I take the bus to work) and I figure they're cars, they take us where we want to go, why do we need more than that? And after years of doing the Car and Truck section at the paper, any luster is off that car shine...

As for writing, I'm reading through the hard copy of THE MISSING INK and plan to send it to my agent this week! Yay!

Natasha 8/03/2008 12:48:00 PM  

Definitely, Zoe. I had to make my own layout. Very ugly layouts, and WordPress has so many free templates!

spyscribbler 8/03/2008 12:50:00 PM  

Aww, Lainey, that's cute! And wow, giving up the Jeep for the kids. You must love them. :-)

The site was down due to Sitemeter. It was a buggy sort of weekend in the blogosphere!

spyscribbler 8/03/2008 12:51:00 PM  

Melanie! But you're in Mexico! You have no idea of the joy of riding in an open Jeep. Take hubby on ONE test drive of a Jeep with the top off, and he'll never look at the Beetle again. :-)

spyscribbler 8/03/2008 12:51:00 PM  

Oh, ROBIN! I am TOTALLY lusting for a solar-powered car! I do hope they make a solar-powered Jeep someday. :-)

spyscribbler 8/03/2008 12:52:00 PM  

Eric, that's pretty much me, which is why I didn't want to trade in my Honda Civic for a Cherokee. But then DH brought with him a Jeep Wrangler, and it's the first time I had FUN in a car. :-)

spyscribbler 8/03/2008 12:54:00 PM  

Edie, I hope it was clear this morning! Yay for Karin! To me, riding in my Jeep with the top down gives me the instant feeling of the freedom of vacation. Next is an RV, where I'll "live" on vacation.

I was meant to be a gypsy, I think. :-)

spyscribbler 8/03/2008 12:56:00 PM  

Karen, I was a Honda Civic girl, too! I'm not one for cars, either, except the Jeep. You could never get me to buy a BMW even if I had a gazillion dollars. It'd be a Jeep and a solar-powered car for me.

Good luck with The Missing Ink and GREAT title!

Bernita 8/04/2008 08:45:00 AM  

I don't drive, but I like jeeps.