Thursday, August 21, 2008

How Do You Slow Down?

One of the dogs I'm housesitting has this wonderful enthusiasm. It's infectious. When she's let out of her crate in the morning, she can't control her excitement. As soon as I let him outside, she starts bounding around, jumping up and down like, "Ohmigod! Ohmigod! It's a new day! Do you see? Look at this! New sky! New sun! New dew! Ohmigod, ohmigod! Can you believe it!"

I wouldn't mind starting every day like that.

Wow, this is a great talk on how life is TOO fast, and how to slow down, how to live our lives instead of hurrying through our lives. I like his talk, LOL, but it cracks me up that he talks so quickly about slowing down. :-)

Here's a website on the Slow Movement. And here's the Harvard letter to students: Slow Down!

One of my New Year's goals was to do one thing at a time. I'm not doing so great on that front. For example, right now I am listening to music, listening to this video, writing this blog, and writing my WIP.

I think I need to get in touch with my "inner tortoise," too.

How do you slow down? Do you slow down? How do you focus? I have such trouble focusing on one thing.

15 bonus scribbles:

Amy Nathan 8/21/2008 08:07:00 AM  

I can focus, but I always also have a new focus waiting in the wings. I have a book in every room, preprogrammed radio stations, favorite television shows and a Bloglines with 59 blogs I keep up with. Daily.

But I do slow down - I live my life in the moment. I am conscious of even a jam-packed day and that slows the pace of it all, and increases the intensity and value of the memories.

Heather Harper 8/21/2008 08:47:00 AM  

"I have such trouble focusing on one thing."

Fuze green tea with honey and ginseng. Works every time. ;-)

(Vicki Petterrson told me about that one. I owe her big.)

Edie 8/21/2008 09:48:00 AM  

Spy, I'm the same way. Sometimes I think my day is too full. I don't know how people who are on Twitter, MySpace and Facebook can find time. I'm having a hard time with blogs and a few loops.

spyscribbler 8/21/2008 09:56:00 AM  

Amy, I envy you your focus and slow-down ability! You are SO right about all of it. And it's funny, running scatter-brained from one thing to another gets little done, but going slow and a doing one thing at a time gets ton done, and gets it done better.

spyscribbler 8/21/2008 09:56:00 AM  

Seriously, Heather? Ohmigosh, I am so going out and getting some green tea and ginseng! And honey!

spyscribbler 8/21/2008 09:57:00 AM  

Edie, I'm wondering how I used to have the time! I feel so behind!

Melanie Avila 8/21/2008 11:38:00 AM  

I'm a very good multi-tasker but when I'm rushed, nothing gets done. I need to pick one thing to be my primary focus, then go from there, otherwise I end up spinning my wheels.

I typically have a lot of energy but the last time I was home (Thanksgiving) I had several people tell me they've never seen me so calm. I don't have as many responsibilities right now so that's probably why, but I do feel like I'm more focused on my inner self these days. Does that make sense?

Leigh Russell 8/21/2008 02:30:00 PM  

Oh the inner tortoise... Does it have something to do with the weather, do you think? It's so much easier to do nothing when the sun's shining.

I agree, it's hard to do one thing at a time. I sometimes think I find it easier to do one task if I'm also doing something else at the same time - or am I just kidding myself, doing nothing properly?

Robin 8/21/2008 05:57:00 PM  

I can only focus after I've had a nice, long, snuggly nap. Then I'm ready for anything!

LaDonna 8/21/2008 06:30:00 PM  

Spy, great post! I think I've hit a good place in the slow-down area of my life. I pretty much decided to be kinder to myself. If I feel tired, I rest, etc. When I look back, I have no clue how I did all the stuff I did all those years ago. I'm all about staying in the flow now, and it feels better, and fits me.

spyscribbler 8/21/2008 08:13:00 PM  

Wow, Melanie, I've always wanted to be one of those people with a lot of energy. I have to work hard for my energy.

I spin my wheels a lot, lately!

spyscribbler 8/21/2008 08:14:00 PM  

Leigh, that's a good point. I get nothing done when it's sunshining! I don't know why, because it's not that I go outside and play in it. I focus so much better when it's thunderstorming.

That sounds crazy.

spyscribbler 8/21/2008 08:15:00 PM  

Oh, Robin, I've taken a nap every day this week! I can get used to it, definitely!

spyscribbler 8/21/2008 08:16:00 PM  

Ladonna, I know what you mean. I'm finding that my body and mind have these limits, and if I try to push past them, they go on strike. And then, instead of relaxing, I feel guilty and beat myself up.

So I'm trying to focus and find time for reading and relaxing.

Zoe Winters 8/21/2008 11:33:00 PM  

For me slowing down is usually reading a book (not off a screen), watching movies or TV on DVD. Or soaking in a hot bath. Sometimes going for a walk.

I don't typically stress myself out anyway. Sometimes I get a little high strung but I pull back quick.