Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Howdy...

I have nothing interesting to say today, so I'll just start writing and see what happens. I don't promise to make a point, though. I'm in the middle of my last twelve hour a day teaching week. It sorta wipes my brain of thoughts.

I have two in an intensive camp which is a blast, four hours a day. They pretty much learn more in this week than they learn in five months. One is going home and practicing five hours a night!

I have a new student, and it was really cute: her mom walked her into the waiting room, and the girl was all business and walked straight into my studio, as if thinking, "Finally! I've been waiting to take lessons for YEARS! Let's get going!"

Her mom's jaw seriously did drop, LOL.

She's very cute. It's funny to see a little one who just sorta starts so strong, as if she knows with certainty that this is her thing.

One of my adult students is going out of town next week, and since I have the week off, I offered to housesit. How cool is that? I will actually get to sit on a couch and have a living room for a week!  I'm so excited!

(My house is my piano studio, so I have no living room.)

And I'll get to play with two dogs. That will be fun. It'll feel SO relaxing to get away. Even though it's only a couple blocks away, it'll be nice to get out of the studio for a week. I'm going to read and write and that's it. I have about ten hours of studio stuff to squeeze in and a dental appointment.

Is it just me, or is the blogosphere really quiet? Either I'm so distracted I'm somehow missing the posts, or people are quiet. What's up?

23 bonus scribbles:

Melanie Avila 8/13/2008 03:08:00 PM  

I have a lot to respond to for a post about nothing, lol.

1st - yay for almost finishing your crazy week. I've noticed your absence. 2nd- awesome for house sitting. I'm babysitting a couple dogs and it's fun. 3rd - will you have internet access at this house?

And finally, I think it's just you. ;)

Zoe Winters 8/13/2008 06:02:00 PM  

maybe she played piano in a former life.

Edie 8/13/2008 07:05:00 PM  

It's not that quiet for me, but I think you blog hop more than I do. Your new student sounds lovely. You said not long ago that it had been a couple years since you had a new student. Now you have a new student and a temporary change of place. Things are looking up for you!

Susan Helene Gottfried 8/13/2008 07:26:00 PM  

Quiet doesn't even begin to describe it.

Eric Mayer,  8/13/2008 07:41:00 PM  

Around here there's nothing much up which is on the whole just fine but not very good for blogging.

spyscribbler 8/13/2008 08:26:00 PM  

LOL, Melanie! :-)

1- I've felt absent!
2- I'm so psyched for the housesitting gig. I told them they should pay me next to nothing because it's a vacation for me, but they wouldn't hear of it.
3- Will the sky be blue? :-p

Yeah, I have been distracted. :-)

spyscribbler 8/13/2008 08:27:00 PM  

Zoe, maybe! She's also watched her older sister and brother play, and her two best friends play.

spyscribbler 8/13/2008 08:28:00 PM  

Edie, actually, it's only been a year since I've had a new batch of students, but in that year, I hadn't had a call from someone who had a piano, which was bizarre! It was definitely freaking me out!

Yes, I feel my luck turning. I love when that happens!

spyscribbler 8/13/2008 08:29:00 PM  

Susan, so it's not just me? I wondered!

spyscribbler 8/13/2008 08:29:00 PM  

LOL, Eric. Clearly that doesn't stop me from blogging nonsense, LOL. :-) But, yeah. It has felt quiet to me!

Robin 8/13/2008 09:57:00 PM  

I can't tell if it's slow or not. The only reason I can keep up at all is your brilliant Google Reader advice!
The house sitting sounds fun. Especially with dogs. It's like a little mini vacation.

Aimless Writer 8/14/2008 09:19:00 AM  

Glad your hectic week is over.
And yes, the blogospere is very quiet lately. I think its because of vacations. And summer makes us lazy. lol
I know I'm getting too lazy!
Have fun playing with the puppies!!!

StarvingWriteNow 8/14/2008 10:25:00 AM  

There's definitely a hang time feeling for me; I start school in about 10 days and I'm mentally gearing up for that; son starts school too, work, home... I"m blogging, but only monday and thursday because I just don't have any other sit down time. I think once the new "normal" starts I'll get more out there.

Amy Nathan 8/14/2008 12:24:00 PM  

A change of scenery is a good thing, no matter where it is.

Bernita 8/14/2008 02:04:00 PM  

I've found it quiet too - holidays, conferences...

LaDonna 8/15/2008 09:45:00 AM  

Hey Spy, have fun housesitting! I can see you doing the Risky Business dance in your undies! LOL. Enjoy your quiet time away from the music room.

And I love that little student already. You must keep us posted. She'll go far in life, I bet.

spyscribbler 8/16/2008 09:49:00 AM  

Robin, I'm so relaxed I can't get anything done! And I love Google Reader, too! :-)

spyscribbler 8/16/2008 09:52:00 AM  

Aimless, I admit I'm a little lazy myself. :-) The heart the doggies. So loving and affectionate!

spyscribbler 8/16/2008 09:52:00 AM  

Writenow, I know what you mean. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and busy myself!

spyscribbler 8/16/2008 09:53:00 AM  

Amy, totally! Sometimes when my writing is stuck, I write in a new place. Works magic!

spyscribbler 8/16/2008 09:53:00 AM  

Bernita, right, the conferences! I felt lonely, left at home!

spyscribbler 8/16/2008 09:54:00 AM  

LaDonna, me too. She's great. No dancing here, though. I feel like a cat. I'm suddenly so relaxed, I'm getting nothing done!

Angie 8/17/2008 01:20:00 AM  

I don't know about anyone else, but I was at WorldCon from Wednesday through Monday, then this last Friday I was back in the air and now I'm in Reno visiting my mom. [flail] I'm trying to catch up with blogs, haven't touched journals in a couple of days, and I'm watching the Olympics too so it's all going slowly.

Writing? Oh, right, I'm supposed to be writing too.... [laugh]

Angie