Thursday, August 07, 2008

I Need Cookies.

imageWeird day. Just one of those days, you know? Where you're all stressed out and upset, and being upset makes little things more upsetting, so no matter how Zen you try to be, you end up with your stomach in knots, trying not to cry or get angry.

And when you fail at making yourself feel normal again, you add feeling like a failure to the whole emotional pot.

I miss DH, that's all. He's being a man and not thinking and not having any clue that he's stressing me out and hurting my feelings, like NONE at all. And you know those days when the dear men in our lives just can't stop saying the wrong things? And when you really, really, really wish that just this once they could read your mind? Just try to understand how you feel, try to put themselves in your shoes?

*sigh*

So on to better topics. In fact, Lainey and Melanie were asking for the link to Robin's blog and Robin's book. If you're in need of laugh, read the sample excerpt to Shrink Rap.

I've read a lot of books on child development and child psychology, but never a single one was entertaining. This is like relaxing reading. I'm ordering this book soon because I can't wait to read it because I know I'll laugh and have a good time, not because I try to keep myself informed about children for teaching.

It's like eating the above no-bake cookies. The oatmeal is healthy, but you don't know it because the cookie is oh-so-yummy. :-)

For Melanie, here's the recipe of my favorite cookies. (The timing is important; if you boil too long, they set too dry. Too short, and you end up with a pile of mush. Tasty mush, though!)

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
Pinch salt
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 stick butter
3 cups quick-cooking oats (The other kind work, but the cookie ends up a little chewier.)
1 tsp. vanilla

Bring sugar, cocoa, milk, butter and salt to a full boil, and boil for exactly 1 minute. Remove from heat and add peanut butter, oats and vanilla. Stir. Drop spoonfuls on waxed paper and let cool until set.

Finally, have you been to Hulu? It is the COOLEST! You can watch just about any show online now. With my computer, I have no need for cable! It's wonderful. Yes, there's commercials to pay for the shows being offered free, but they're only 15-30 seconds, and there's only four. Not like the 20 minutes of commercial you get on TV. Ick!

I love the internet.

All the networks have their shows for free online, too, but Hulu has them all in one place. Very cool. Have you tried watching shows online yet?

25 bonus scribbles:

Zoe Winters 8/07/2008 03:39:00 PM  

hehe Spy, I love the internet too. I'm sorry about your guy. Sometimes men are stupid.

My husband and I had a very rough patch we went through, and it's hard, but you have to communicate and make sure he understands how much he's hurting you. Don't make it about blame, but let him know.

StarvingWriteNow 8/07/2008 03:42:00 PM  

Sweetie, I've been there so many times it's not even funny. Just remember that men's brains are like waffles--everything in it's own little compartment, and women's brains are like spaghetti--everything intertwined all over the place. That's why we have so much angst and worry and suffering and men are like, "Huh?"

And thanks for the cookie recipe. I totally forgot about No-Bakes; they're so easy and good!

Now I've got Cookie Monster's theme stuck in my head... oy!

C is for cookie, that's good enough for me, C is for cookie, that's good enough for me, C is for cookie, that's good enough for me OH cookie cookie cookie starts with C!

conley730 8/07/2008 04:40:00 PM  

LOVE the hulu website. It's now in my faves!

Loreth Anne White 8/07/2008 08:12:00 PM  

Hugs, Spy. Just been there with my guy.

And now I am bummed -- Hulu can't be got up North of the 49th! :-/

Melanie Avila 8/07/2008 08:54:00 PM  

Thank you! And thank you!

I'm making the cookies VERY SOON! I've made them before and they're one of my favorites, too. I'll check out all of Robin's goodness soon.

I'm sorry you're feeling so down. I absolutely love starving's way of looking at it: the waffles and the spaghetti. That's pure genius. Communication is key... but you know that already. :)

I hate when my hubby gets like that because he's pretty much the only person I see on a regular basis (meaning more than every six months). It gets hard, but you'll come through it.

I'm assuming Hulu can't be got South of the 49 either. ;(

Robin 8/07/2008 09:34:00 PM  

Awww...Thanks for laughing at my jokes, Spy! Maybe annoyance is in the air. I was really annoyed at Adam today for a multitude of stupid reasons, all having to do with his awful Y chromosome, and then we went out to Thai food. I ate 2 salads in a really hostile way. I crunched super loudly, and looked disdainfully at his crunchy duck. Boy, did I show him!
DH will come through! It's a bad man moon out there.

Edie 8/07/2008 11:13:00 PM  

I just read the Shrink Rap excerpt. Hilarious.

Is there a bad moon that's putting the Y chromosone in a twist right now? I hope not. And I hope DH stops stressing you out.

Bernita 8/08/2008 08:57:00 AM  

That recipe is close to mine for chocolate macaroons!

Avery DeBow 8/08/2008 09:47:00 AM  

I have a wintertime fixation with Ugly Betty online. I take a longer lunch break on Thursdays so I can watch an episode.

Avery DeBow 8/08/2008 09:54:00 AM  

That excerpt is brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

LaDonna 8/08/2008 11:01:00 AM  

Hey Spy, hugs on the man issue. I absolutely adored the spaghetti and waffle analogy from Starving. I'm saving that one.

And thanks for the cookie recipe. Yum... I haven't watched any shows online yet, but did play a few DVD's before I bought my player. This was a while back.

mom2brie,  8/08/2008 11:06:00 PM  

{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

mom2brie,  8/08/2008 11:15:00 PM  

Oh - have you seen this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7522952.stm

about the poor girl who was named Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii?

spyscribbler 8/09/2008 11:18:00 AM  

Hey, Zoe! It's not such a rough patch, but it was frustrating. I wrote him an email, but he hasn't read it because the internet prices went up AGAIN: $1.75 a MB!

spyscribbler 8/09/2008 11:19:00 AM  

Writenow, that is an AWESOME analogy! Ever since I wrote this post, I've been dying to make some No-Bakes. In a few minutes!

spyscribbler 8/09/2008 11:20:00 AM  

Conley, it's incredible! I can't stop watching Burn Notice!

spyscribbler 8/09/2008 11:21:00 AM  

Loreth, that sucks! There are proxy workarounds if you're so inclined. Can you watch tv on the Networks's websites?

spyscribbler 8/09/2008 11:22:00 AM  

I'm with you, Melanie! I don't much have anyone to talk to, either. I did when I was doing Taekwondo, but I only meet parents now, and all my friends except one have moved away.

spyscribbler 8/09/2008 11:23:00 AM  

Robin, that's hilarious! I once wrote a story where a wife took away her husband's food because the salad-crunching crunched on her last nerve.

A bad man moon. I like that!

spyscribbler 8/09/2008 11:24:00 AM  

Edie, I love the Shrink Rap excerpt! DH seems to have improved today. :-)

spyscribbler 8/09/2008 11:24:00 AM  

Yummy, Bernita! When I was searching for the recipe online, I came across the macaroons!

spyscribbler 8/09/2008 11:26:00 AM  

Avery, I missed Ugly Betty on TV, but I loved the first episode. I keep meaning to check Ugly Betty out!

spyscribbler 8/09/2008 11:26:00 AM  

LaDonna, the world of online TV is awesome. Once you start, it's hard to stop. I've canceled my cable. :-)

spyscribbler 8/09/2008 11:28:00 AM  

Thanks, mom2brie! We're going to have to stop talking completely pretty soon: they raised the rates to $1.75 a MB.

Isn't that COMPLETELY INSANE?

Speaking of completely insane, about your article: WHAT WERE PARENTS THINKING??? That's just crazy!

Dube 8/10/2008 07:26:00 PM  

I love love love oatmeal cookies in all forms. Now I'm hungry!