Sunday, August 17, 2008

Thoughts? What thoughts?

Oh, WOW! Did you hear the Orwell Trust is publishing George Orwell's diaries as a blog? How cool is that?

Other than that, I seem to have no thoughts this week. I am working out a lot: there's plenty of room in this house, plus a workout room that rocks. Not to mention the dogs need walked around the house about once every hour and a half, and then there's the morning long walk, where they go one at a time.

Suffice it to say, I'm spending five or more hours a day on the dogs.

I'm actually loving this. Every hour and a half, we walk around the house, smell the roses. Just stand in the grass and watch what the wind does with the plants and trees and grass.

I could live like that.

Working out a lot more means I am napping a lot more. Not my favorite thing, but these naps are not a request, LOL, they are a demand.

I could do coffee, but I'm feeling like I need to just let my body do its thing this week.

I am also reading a ton. I just finished Eat, Pray, Love, and I really want to read it again. But I brought a stack of eight books with me, and I'm really hoping to get through all of them. (Hah!)

My brain is blissfully blank. Relaxed. Except I'm not doing a great job on posts. Well, better luck tomorrow.

What are you reading?

And I'm curious: my thoughts tend to repeat themselves over and over ad nauseum. If I'm thinking about something, it's generally the same thought I've had a million times before, except I keep working through it, the same conversation. Generally, these are worries, or "fixes" of actual conversations. Since I repeat them so much, one would think I enjoy these mental conversations I have with myself.

I don't.

So I'll take blissfully blank for now.

Do you have worries or mental conversations that repeat themselves over and over in your head? Do you have a technique for getting rid of them?

18 bonus scribbles:

Zoe Winters 8/17/2008 05:22:00 PM  

Hey Spy, I just finished reading "Pleasure Unbound" by Larissa Ione. It ROCKED! So So hard. OMG loved it. And if you like your boys growly, and at all like the paranormal stuff...holy hell, this book is for you.

Amy Nathan 8/17/2008 05:44:00 PM  

I'm re-reading Pride and Prejudice. A quiet week sounds divine to me...I already have three dogs though and there is nothing quiet about them!

Travis Erwin 8/17/2008 06:14:00 PM  

thanks for the heads-up on the Orwell blog. Should be interesting.

Melanie Avila 8/17/2008 06:19:00 PM  

I'm reading The Faith Club and having trouble getting into it. I like the premise - three woman from different religious backgrounds discuss the similarities & differences of their beliefs - but so far it's moving slowly for me.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on EPL. :)

I talk to myself a lot and have many solo conversations. Journaling seems to be the best way for me to release them.

I'm glad you're loving your mini vacation!

Jenna,  8/17/2008 06:28:00 PM  

I'm reading Losing the Moon by Patti Callahan Henry. The Alemist by Paul Coelho and The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell are waiting on the proverbial nightstand.

Repeating thoughts. Oh I have lots of repeating thoughts. Sometimes running them over and over in my head helps me work through problems, in life and writing, but other times they seem to create an anxiety only a big bottle of wine can squelch.

Susan Helene Gottfried 8/17/2008 07:18:00 PM  

Keep on working out at this rate. Your body will adjust and you'll soon be able to forego the naps.

And you'll look darn good, too. DH won't recognize you when he gets home and he'll be asking himself what happened to the hot woman he left, and why this ultra hot one is here in her place. :D

spyscribbler 8/17/2008 09:31:00 PM  

Wow, I'll have to search that one out! Now that's a recommendation, Zoe!

Eric Mayer,  8/17/2008 09:31:00 PM  

Sounds to me like you're having a great time. I just finished From a Buick 8 by Stephen King which I loved. I am a sucker for inexplicable artifact stories - Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama, Rogue Moon by Algis Budrys, Blindsight by Peter Watts.... Alas I do have recurring thoughts and never figured out how to derail them, even staying awake all night trying.

spyscribbler 8/17/2008 09:31:00 PM  

Oh, Amy, that's awesome! I love Pride and Prejudice.

spyscribbler 8/17/2008 09:32:00 PM  

Travis, it is a novelty. I'm enjoying the posts so far. I need to expect less from myself in my diary, LOL!

spyscribbler 8/17/2008 09:33:00 PM  

Melanie, that's the lovely thing about journaling!

About EPL, I have to read it again. First of all, I read the last half during a two-day headache. And there's just SO much in it, so much I liked, that I need to read it all over again. I feel a bit overwhelmed.

spyscribbler 8/17/2008 09:35:00 PM  

Jenna, I keep wanting to read The Alchemist! As for the Tipping Point, it's a great idea. It's more a book for skimming, in my estimation.

My repeating thoughts get a little insane. They just go on repeat and keep me awake.

spyscribbler 8/17/2008 09:37:00 PM  

Very true, Susan! I'll admit we have enough money to try a new doctor for my foot. I'm praying to the whole universe that he actually fixes it, because I'm DYING to get back to Taekwondo.

My hopes are way too high: I know I'm setting myself up for a big crash if I waste my money and he doesn't fix the foot, but I can't help it. I want to be back in TKD so much I can TASTE it!

spyscribbler 8/17/2008 09:39:00 PM  

Eric, I stay awake all the time, too, for the same reason. I'll tell myself: "Dude, you're having the same thoughts again. This is silly. You're not even thinking NEW thoughts about it." And then I'll refuse to allow myself to think about it.

And I don't know what happens, but suddenly, ten minutes later, I'll notice the same damn record playing in my head. It drives me insane!

I don't know any of those books. Must investigate. :-)

Bernita 8/18/2008 08:43:00 AM  

"Do you have worries or mental conversations that repeat themselves over and over in your head?"

Aye, usually when I'm trying to go to sleep. Takes a conscious effort to break the cycle.

Melanie Avila 8/18/2008 01:50:00 PM  

The Alchemist and Tipping Point are on my Want to Read list, too.

spyscribbler 8/18/2008 01:54:00 PM  

It does, Bernita! It takes me many conscious thoughts, LOL.

spyscribbler 8/18/2008 01:55:00 PM  

The Alchemist, definitely. The Tipping Point is, imho, a skimmable book. The idea is great, but he didn't need so many words for it.