Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Chuck It All

Man, it's been non-stop, lately. I've been working in bed in the mornings, not because it's a treat, but because I wake up and feel like I have so much to do that I don't have time to take a shower and get dressed first.

It's crazy.

And my house is such a mess. I finally devoted a whole hour to cleaning my kitchen yesterday.

It's still a mess, but the second shelf of my refrigerator is now spotless.

That's crazier.

I am grateful for work, I am. It's just, I hate busywork. There's just gunk I have to do that doesn't mean anything. Like organize receipts, bill students, write their assignments, clean the house, do the laundry, keep up with email, etc. Tons more than that, but you get the point.

Pretty much, I just want to read, write and teach, but there's a cost to everything, I guess.

Anyway, I'm thinking of taking a two-week vacation from writing and just using my off-time to read and relax. Two weeks to refill the well.

I am SO behind on reading, I can't tell you. I MISS READING! I never feel like a writer unless I'm reading a ton. I have been in the middle of five books since June. I've started at least twenty. I haven't finished a single book since May, except Eat, Pray, Love. (Maybe a couple more, but I forgot already.)

It's like Groundhog Day or something. I keep working and everything keeps being unfinished.

Do you ever just want to just stop everything, curl up in a window seat, and read for a month? I just want the whole world to stop, for everything to be finished, so I can relax and read, guilt-free. And after a month, I'll add some teaching and writing. A nice, balanced life.

Things should be better October 2. And even better October 9. And best of all October 14. And then it will be October 31, the time I make my New Year's resolutions again. At the top of the list is BALANCE and READ!

Below is the season premier of Chuck, a week early, courtesy of Hulu. I just think it's the coolest that I can embed a whole episode of television in my blog. So here it is. :-) If you click it, it will take you to hulu and you can watch full screen.

11 bonus scribbles:

Travis Erwin 9/23/2008 09:47:00 PM  

I'd like to watch but will have to wait until I venture to town and log on to faster internet.

Edie 9/23/2008 10:17:00 PM  

I saw the last 3/4 of The Mentalist tonight and enjoyed it.

I hate busy work too. I balanced my checkbook today and tommorow I'll do the bills. One thing a day. lol

Bernita 9/24/2008 09:09:00 AM  

"And my house is such a mess. I finally devoted a whole hour to cleaning my kitchen yesterday.

It's still a mess, but the second shelf of my refrigerator is now spotless."

Ho, ho! I SO relate to that!

Melanie Avila 9/24/2008 11:48:00 AM  

"Sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed from within the United States"

Sad.

Spy, you deserve a break! I find that when I get to the point when I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels, a day or two of rest (or vacation) really sets my mind straight again. My trip home did that for me - my mom even commented this morning that I seem rejuvenated - so I hope you can take an afternoon to just read.

When does DH arrive?

spyscribbler 9/24/2008 12:39:00 PM  

LOL, Travis. I chucked my cable bill, so now I rely on the internet for my TV. :-)

spyscribbler 9/24/2008 12:40:00 PM  

I almost watched the Mentalist! I'll have to check that one out. I did the whole balancing thing last night, too. For the first time in a long time, I smiled the whole time.

And then today, I got the gas bill, and my monthly budget amount went down $30! :-)

spyscribbler 9/24/2008 12:41:00 PM  

Bernita, it's pitiful! I bet people think I never clean. A few weeks ago, I spent something like 30 hours cleaning. It didn't look one bit less messy when I was done.

*sigh*

spyscribbler 9/24/2008 12:43:00 PM  

Melanie, my mind and body will sort of go on strike on me. Like yesterday, I could not, for the life of me, get myself to do ANYTHING. In my defense, I'd worked 60 hours in 4 days, beforehand!

He comes home on the 9th! 15 days? *sigh* I can't wait!

Lauren 9/24/2008 03:28:00 PM  

Good luck with getting in the two week vacation. Everyone needs some time off! :)

We chucked the cable bill too. With all the tv online (and the fact that we hardly watch it) seemed a bit wasteful.

Kath Calarco 9/24/2008 07:57:00 PM  

Spy, if you feel the need for time off from writing, just take it. The time away will be priceless and when you return you'll feel so on-board that you'll wonder why you hadn't taken time off sooner.

Good luck!