Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Do You Mistrust Love?

So I went up nine flights of stairs today without a single wince. I walked down nine flights of stairs without a single wince. I've lost 10 pounds toward Mission: TKD, and I didn't shake like a leaf at the dentist's today.

I'm pretty psyched.

I'm at the end of one of my WIPs, and I, um, love the ending. This is new. Usually I hate, hate, hate, HATE the ending. Usually, by the end, I hate the whole darn thing.

I love this ending. I have that satisfied, happy feeling, like when you rest a book to your chest for just a few minutes when you're done and you have a little smile on your face.

This scares the shit out of me, because, like I said, I usually hate the ending. I usually see a thousand flaws. I have to finish then work my way back in, but I think this is going to be one of my favorite endings.

I'm uncomfortable with this feeling. I am more comfortable with ripping my work to pieces and making fun of it to myself. Actually liking it at this point in my process is weird.

I've been focusing on improving my endings for at least a year.

What's funny about this story, is even though I love my ending, I'd say this story has the highest risk of being hated out of all my stories, ever. I did something a little different, and I can definitely see that it might not work with everyone. So who knows?

I'm behind on another WIP that I have to finish by next Thursday, too. So back to work.

How do you feel about your WIP when you get to the end? Sick of reading it? Loving it? Where do you struggle the most? When do you hate it? When do you love it?

20 bonus scribbles:

Edie 9/03/2008 07:55:00 PM  

Spy, so happy about the foot and the lost pounds.:)) I need to get serious about exercising again. I walk my dog almost every day, but I used to do strength training and should do it again.

With my two women's fiction books, I cried when they were done. A happy cry, because I loved them so much. I didn't feel that way with my wip. I liked the ending but didn't love it so much it made me cry. I think I need to amp up the ending.

Aimless Writer 9/03/2008 10:16:00 PM  

I have one book finished that I hate my ending. I feel it was a cop out and I could do better. I like everything tied up neatly but this one was weak. Its been sitting on the shelf for three years now because of that. :(
However I've finished other stuff while I stare at it. I'm sure it will come to me when the universe thinks the time is right.
I love books with great endings. An ending with a happy ever after.
So glad the foot is healing! Do you think its the chiro work?

Travis Erwin 9/03/2008 10:28:00 PM  

Good for you. I loved my last ending. I usually struggle more with middles than anything else.

Robin 9/03/2008 11:55:00 PM  

Congratulations on the foot and the return to TKD! Yay!
I don't really write stories, so it's hard to talk about endings. They're more like humorous essays. But I have to say, that when I read my stuff again, I laugh all over again at my own jokes. It's a little twisted.

Angie 9/04/2008 04:31:00 AM  

Sometimes the ending just flows. All the threads tuck themselves in neatly, the plotline(s) wrap in proper rhythm, the last bit of dialogue is snappy and memorable and has "Wrap!" stamped on it, and everything's cool and I'm grinning when I send it off.

Other times I have to struggle with every step. [glares at current WIP] I have to wrestle everything into place, and I'm not always sure where things should be or whether I can get them there without a lot of duct tape. Right now, I'm not even sure I'm using the right blueprints -- maybe a sheet from some other set of plans got shuffled to the bottom of this stack and I'm finishing off my birdhouse with a nice towel rack...? :P

When I love my endings, though, I just let myself love them. I say relax and enjoy. :D

Angie

StarvingWriteNow 9/04/2008 06:09:00 AM  

The fact that you're liking the ending is telling me that your goal to improve your writing is working! Good for you!

And huzzah for the foot! I'm glad it is feeling better!

Bernita 9/04/2008 07:03:00 AM  

I hate my ending.Something is missing. It needs something I haven't externalized yet.

spyscribbler 9/04/2008 09:18:00 AM  

Edie, half of my weight came off from housesitting and walking their dogs! Another great reason to get a dog. :-)

Awwww, that's so sweet. I think I would cry when this when ended, but it's a series. I'm like addicted to it. I already can't wait to write the next one.

spyscribbler 9/04/2008 09:21:00 AM  

That just cracked me up, Aimless: "I've finished other stuff while I stare at it." ROFL, that sounds so much like something I would do!

I do think it's the chiro. That and the exercises. I haven't gone back again, yet, but I probably will, for at least a couple more sessions. I'm not doing twice a week for six weeks, though. I need to see what I can do myself and save money!

spyscribbler 9/04/2008 09:22:00 AM  

Travis, I haven't been blessed with that struggle yet. Ends, though, have tortured me!

Hey, are you starting a new one? Btw, I haven't been able to figure out Texas Hold Em on Facebook. I mean, I know how to play Texas Hold Em, I just don't know how to work the game!

spyscribbler 9/04/2008 09:23:00 AM  

Robin, that's great! I would, too. :-) I do that with your blogs!

spyscribbler 9/04/2008 09:24:00 AM  

Wow, Angie. That sure is a dream ending! I'm not sure my current ending is that good. But a girl can dream!

spyscribbler 9/04/2008 09:24:00 AM  

I hope so, Writenow, I really hope so. I ache to get back to TKD, I really do!

spyscribbler 9/04/2008 09:25:00 AM  

Good luck, Bernita. I know the feeling precisely!

Michelle 9/04/2008 09:07:00 PM  

Sorry it's taken me so long to get over here. I saw you left a comment on my site a while back and have been meaning to drop by. Congrats on losing the weight. I need to get back into strength training too. I've been spending too much time glued to my keyboard.

When I finish a project after laboring over it, I feel a myriad of emotions: relief, satisfaction, pride and absolute terror. Terror because now I have to decide whether to chuck it under my mattress and keep it safe from the red pen of editors and agents; or take a chance and submit it.

I also feel a bit sad because it's like end of a vacation or journey with a great friend, and now you have to part ways. Usually, that results in me writing sequels.

BTW--I've made some major changes to my site, so stop by when you get a chance. I also have a really great news that I can't spill just yet. I will post it in a week or two on my site.

Warm regards,
Michelle Lauren|www.michellelaurenbooks.com

Eric Mayer,  9/05/2008 10:37:00 AM  

The only time I really love my work is when I first get the idea for something. At that stage it always seems fantastic. As I try to actually put the idea into words it begins to seem less amazing and by the time I'm through I never want to see it again.

spyscribbler 9/05/2008 10:54:00 AM  

Michelle, it's an emotional roller coaster, for sure! Rarely is it easy! Funny about sequels, because I can't wait to write the next sequel. I seem to have sequelitis.

Your new site is so pretty. No more blog?

spyscribbler 9/05/2008 10:54:00 AM  

Eric, that is SO my process, too. (Except this time.) I know that "never want to see it again" feeling well. I dread the idea of ever seeing it again!

Barrie 9/05/2008 04:47:00 PM  

Way to go on achieving your goals! Um, I hate my wip at some point during the editing process. That's how I know I've edited enough, and it's time to send it in.

spyscribbler 9/10/2008 10:40:00 AM  

Barrie, that's a good clue! I usually know it by when I go through and tinker with just a few words or so.