Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Formulas for Success

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure. ~Mark Twain

Was it Michael Phelps who said he trained by doing what he knew others would be unwilling to do? That's one of my life philosophies. If I want to compete at something, the first thing I do is try to figure out what others are unwilling to do.

That space is the only place to find an edge, unless you've got tons of talent. I never bank on that, though.

When you want to "win," where do you look first for your edge? Where do you find inspiration? How do you plot your way? Any favorite quotes?

***

And sorry for the absence and late response to comments in the last post. The internet and electricity were out, and then I got hit with a major flu. Major yuck. I hope I'm feeling better today. I've got that post-fever headache. Ick.

Do you ever have certain fond memories connected to your illnesses? Like this flu: it had the same taste in my mouth as one I got when I was young. And that made me remember my daddy brought home this kit to cut out, fold, and make houses. I laid on the living room couch with that, hot Jello, and Campbell's chicken noodle soup.

I strangely found myself yearning for those things when I was in bed, this time.

Isn't that weird?

12 bonus scribbles:

Melanie Avila 9/16/2008 05:34:00 PM  

I know what you mean. It's amazing sometimes how something so minute can bring us back twenty years. The only thing that's weird is the hot jello.

Is it basically hot Kool-aid?

I hope you feel better!

spyscribbler 9/16/2008 07:33:00 PM  

Isn't it crazy, Melanie? And SO true! Hot jello is weird? I kinda miss the stuff. :-) I've made it a few times as an adult. It is basically hot koolaid, but it has a sort of thicker, smoother texture. Great for sore throats.

And then as it cools, the edges start to turn into jello. Yummy. Strawberry is my favorite.

It's a bit too sweet for me, now. Once in a great while. :-)

Edie 9/16/2008 07:55:00 PM  

I'm glad you're better. This is the first time I heard of hot jello. When I was recuperating from an operation, I listened to Eric Clapton's Unplugged album over and over and over. I never got tired of his songs. When I hear one of the songs now, I get a yearning to sit in my recliner and listen to the CD.

I heard Micheal Phelps said that too. I also heard he swam 5 hours every day. Imagine if I wrote 5 hours a day how much I would get done. I should do that. And after I'm done, I can treat myself and listen to Eric Clapton. :)

LaDonna 9/16/2008 09:35:00 PM  

Spy, glad you're back and feeling better. I was a daddy's girl, and once on Thanksgiving I was in bed all day. We had guests, and when everyone left that night, I slipped out of bed and he found me in the living room. He was so worried about me, and tried to tempt me with icecream. I hadn't eaten all day, mostly cause I was vomiting all day. LOL.

And when the girls were little, my mom's friend was a nurse and told me about using jello (liquid form) in their bottles. This was the 70's, and widely used for flu and to prevent dehydration. So, your hot jello sounded yummy to me. :)

Angie 9/16/2008 09:46:00 PM  

For me, just getting from one day to the next without falling into a debilitating depression is a triumph -- I'm easy to please. :)

I hope you're feeling better, hon. [hugz]

Angie

spyscribbler 9/16/2008 11:05:00 PM  

Wow, Edie! That's a lot of swimming! I wish I wrote more. My biggest laziness is when I first sit down, I have trouble focusing. Sometimes it takes me an hour to really get writing!

I wish I had more time to read.

spyscribbler 9/16/2008 11:30:00 PM  

LaDonna, I was growing up in the seventies, and my mom worked in a hospital. Hence the Jello! Although, I wonder, now. The sugar lowers the immune system.

spyscribbler 9/16/2008 11:32:00 PM  

Awww, Angie. I hope you have many depression-less days. :-)

Hugs!

Bernita 9/17/2008 09:30:00 AM  

Whenever I was really sick as achild ( and I caught everything going, chicken pox, measles, mumps...) my uncle would deliver a giant bottle of orange pop.
Can't see one without remembering.

Lauren 9/17/2008 11:17:00 AM  

I hope you are all better! Being sick is no fun.

I dunno about hot jello, but my mom would always make me raspberry jello when I was sick as a little kid. Always made me feel better.

And I love the Mark Twain quote, by the way.

spyscribbler 9/17/2008 09:36:00 PM  

Bernita, that's so true! I find the craving for those things interesting. Like hot jello, and Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. And yet, I can't stomach the stuff, hate it!

But still, there's something about them I crave.

spyscribbler 9/17/2008 09:38:00 PM  

Aww, Lauren! Raspberry is one of my favorites!

And gosh, I forgot how to spell raspberry. Isn't that funny? I'm pretty sure we worked on that one for a year, in one class!