Friday, September 26, 2008

It's Funny Now.

Whenever I do something really stupid and make myself angry at myself, I tend to tell myself off. And then I make fun of myself. I glory in making fun of myself. And pretty soon, I totally start cracking myself up.

So remember how I mentioned I live in my fictional world a lot more than I actually write it?

Well, when I sat down to write my last chapter, due Thursday, I read my whole manuscript from the beginning. Problem is, I'd compiled it from separate chapter documents in Liquid Writer.

And I forgot a chapter.

So looking at my notes, I couldn't figure out how I was going to fit all that stuff into one chapter. I thought to myself that I'd written a few of the scenes already, but they weren't there.

I gave it a moment's thought, and figured I'd just imagined them so much it felt like I'd written them.

So I proceeded to squeeze two chapters worth of scenes into one final chapter. Sent it off.

I recompiled my document. I noticed I was missing a chapter. Huh.

I found the chapter.

With the many of the same scenes I'd just re-written in a squished version because I didn't have enough room.

CRAZY!

With no sleep, with DH unreachable for another week, with a student's and parent's drama, it was just too much. I just fizzled and fried. Went to two movies and slept.

Oh well. I'll re-write the chapter again today. Even though that pushes back a bunch of other projects that are due soon, so I sorta flipped out.

Have you ever re-written scenes you thought you wrote, couldn't find, and figured you'd just imagined them so much you only thought you'd written them?

I feel like a crazy person! I feel like I must really be losing it, LOL. Geeze. It's embarrassing. (Which is why I'm telling the whole world, LOL.)

Anyway, I changed my iPod battery! It was HARD. But I did it all by myself and I'm so proud I want to share. I've grown addicted to it in the short time since one of my student's (God bless them!) gave me their old iPod. Isn't that the coolest?

And today I'm going to an out of town Borders and only writing. I have to get work done. One thing at a time.

8 bonus scribbles:

Melanie Avila 9/26/2008 11:51:00 AM  

I think the break was well deserved. You sound much better. :)

I haven't overlooked chapters, but I have found that I'm very true to my voice. You know how when you type something in you tend to finish the sentence in your head based on what it sounds like should come next? (or am I the only one who does that?) Well several times now I've done that with whole phrases and it's what I actually wrote. I guess I know my story, lol.

Kath Calarco 9/26/2008 02:34:00 PM  

You are not crazy. If I had a dime for every time I didn't do something because I thought I already had, well, I wouldn't be trying to get published because I'd be LOADED.

P.S. Spy, you said you have something due Thursday. Is that as in, meeting a deadline because you've got a publishing contract? If so, YAY YOU!

Edie 9/26/2008 03:32:00 PM  

I've had to rewrite scenes I've deleted. And scenes where the computer inexplicably went down and didn't save what I wrote. I hate it when that happens. And I've written down important and terrific notes about my plots and my characters -- and then can't find where I put the notes.

I'm sure I've done lots of other stupid things. And I'll do a lot more. You can make fun of me, too!

Happy writing today!

Robin 9/26/2008 06:35:00 PM  

Don't worry, Spy! I am so much more spazzy than that. I actually forget if I've said the jokes I think about in my head or not. It gets horribly confusing. I have to ask friends all the time, "Did I actually say 'such and such' to him?", and the answer is usually, "Thank God, no!" (Or, "No, but you should have!")

spyscribbler 9/27/2008 09:44:00 AM  

I feel much better, Melanie. I have decided I am only doing one thing a day, not counting teaching. I am also starting a honey-do list for when DH gets home.

I need my partner back. :-)

Very funny about that! Wow! That is definitely true to your voice. You have a really good memory, though, don't you? I think I remember you mentioning something really cool that made me want your memory!

spyscribbler 9/27/2008 09:47:00 AM  

LOL, Kath! That makes me feel better, definitely! I have a pseudonym which I try not talk about much 'cause, ya' know, real name up there and little pitchers have big ears. Or google does. I write novellas and stories for two online publishers and pop culture essays for SmartPop/BenBella books.

Thanks for the Yays! :-)

spyscribbler 9/27/2008 09:48:00 AM  

LOL, Edie, I could never make fun of you! :-) This does rank as one of the stupidest things I've done. I did something really stupid with saving last weekend.

Gosh, this is really a trend!

spyscribbler 9/27/2008 09:50:00 AM  

HAH! Robin, you make me wish I lived in your city! I'd buy you lunch every week just so I could hear all you had to say. You crack me up! :-D