Monday, September 01, 2008

A Lot Happy, A Little Sad

I went to see the World's Prettiest Baby today! My niece is SO adorable. She's going to be a chatty girl, I bet. She's getting older, so I'm going to have to start calling her the World's Sweetest Girl.

Made me sad, though. I played my Happy Music all the way back home, but it sounded so sad. Funny how music can suddenly sound so bittersweet. It was nice to drive in the Jeep with the top off on such a beautiful day, though.

It took two hours for her very shy cousin to give me a smile, LOL. Which is funny because yesterday, in Walmart, a girl started following me around. I Didn't Know It! I swear to God. I was trying to get through my list, and suddenly there's this girl underfoot, staring up at me expectantly with a smile on her face.

Expecting what?

I always feel so awkward, I've mentioned this before. I was certain the mother was going to come tearing around the corner accusing me of kidnapping her child, LOL. When I was housesitting, I was walking a dog and that's even worse because dogs attract kids! Two different girls came up to me to talk.

What do you do in those situations? I still haven't figured it out. How can I not be friendly, you know? I'm not going to cut off the conversation and be rude to a child.

Oh well. I've decided it's the parent's responsibility to look after their own child, and if they haven't taught them not to talk to strangers, it's none of my business.

I'm back in my writing room. Feels a little lonely today, but still cozy. People always say to "use it." I think they mean to pour the feelings into your fiction.

I don't know. The way I use it, I figure, I want to entertain the people who feel sad, to give them some fictional friends that will keep them company so they don't feel so lonely. Kinda how listening to Stephanie Plum makes me almost feel like DH is in the car with me. (We always listen to Stephanie Plum while driving.)

34 more days.

Many of my readers yearn for something they can't have. I've been there. I don't want to write about how that feels, I want to give them what they can't have, if only for an hour or two.

I don't know. How do you use it?

8 bonus scribbles:

Amy Nathan 9/01/2008 04:06:00 PM  

Great post. I think it's ok to harness your emotions and channel them any way you see fit. If you're sad, write happy. You can use the same energy, pour it where you want it to go. Make yourself feel the way you want your reader to feel. If it's authentic, it will come through.

It's hard for me to write some difficult parts of my book when I'm really just having a normal, easy, fine and dandy day. I find that I don't want to depress myself, or my reader, just give them the lay of the emotional land so they can feel whatever they want or need to feel. Not that a couple of tears while reading or writing are a bad thing, but I often want to get myself out of that quickly - for my own sake and my readers. I can only hope that "using it" as you put it (which I love) works for my reader as well as it works for me. :)

Can I ask where your DH is? I'm rather new around here...

Caryn Caldwell 9/01/2008 08:12:00 PM  

I've had the same thing happen with random kids following me around. Once when I was walking around my neighborhood with a friend of mine, a little girl waved to us cheerfully from the small tree she had been climbing. We, of course, said hello and began to move on. But she wanted to strike up a conversation. She jumped out of the tree and came right up to us, talking. When we tried to move on, she grabbed my hand and tugged me onto her porch, where her grandmother (whom, it turned out, I actually knew) was now standing. The girl talked to me the whole time. When I finally did extricate myself, she insisted on a giant hug. This little girl I had never before seen, have never seen since, and whose name I don't even know. It was awkward but kind of sweet. I worry that someday someone will take advantage of such warmth and trust.

Edie 9/01/2008 08:47:00 PM  

Spy, I know that happy edged with sad feeling. I use all my feelings while writing. I dig deep inside me to feel what my character feels, the dark and the happy emotions.

Children love me! I think it's my size. I'm short and non-threatening. Yesterday a toddler at the next table in a restaurant was playing peek-a-boo with me. She was so cute.

spyscribbler 9/02/2008 10:11:00 AM  

Amy, I once read that the most uplifting books among the classic novels were written when the author was very depressed.

I forget who at the moment, but if I remembered, you'd recognize them!

DH is on a ship in the Pacific, working. He'll be home in 33 days or less!

spyscribbler 9/02/2008 10:13:00 AM  

Caryn, I know. Although, I do think kids have excellent instincts. But with the number of kidnappings, at least in Ohio (I think we're number 1 in the country), I guess maybe not.

It's one of the reasons I always feel guilty. But what can I do? I'm not going to tell them not to talk to me, particularly when they could show up at my studio later wanting lessons. It would be bad business!

spyscribbler 9/02/2008 10:14:00 AM  

Edie, I might be splitting hairs. I pour tons of feelings into my works. I feel what my characters feel deeply, but I'm more likely to walk in their shoes rather than have them walk in my shoes.

Robin 9/02/2008 09:20:00 PM  

I love the story about the girl following you around! So cute! The funny part is that your fear of her nutsy mother accusing you of child molestation is probably possible. I totally agree - people, keep your kids by your side and don't blame the stranger they talk to.

spyscribbler 9/02/2008 09:55:00 PM  

LOL, Robin. It's true! I am permanently scarred by the mother that once FOLLOWED me, kept BUGGING me into a conversation. Quite rudely, as a matter of fact. She would not let me walk away. She followed me through two aisles insisting she knew me, when I KNEW I had NEVER seen her before in her life.

When her daughter finally spoke to me, she then turned to her daughter and started yelling at her for talking to strangers.

I was so pissed. She basically sought me out just to use me as an example for her daughter. It totally hurt my feelings. And I know I sound like a whiner, at the moment, but still! She used me!

So yeah, ever since then, I'm afraid to talk to kids I don't know in public!