Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Pull of Materialism

I have been SO good this year. I told myself I would not buy another book until I could afford a Kindle. And in the past year, I've bought maybe three books.

But I am DYING here. DYING, I tell you! DYING!

It's been ten months since I made the decision to save up for a Kindle. And yet, I still don't feel like I should. But, geeze. I don't think I've wanted something so much and put it off for so long. (Well, something smallish/mediumish.)

Don't you think a year of not buying books + no more cable + no more gas-guzzling car + saving $120 a month on fuel + three "extra" gigs worth much, much more than a Kindle + 60% cutback on writing at Borders + 50% cutback on going to movies + birthday + Christmas should equal a Kindle?

(Say yes, please? You're my friends, right?)

And if the above answer is yes, do you think I should have to wait until Christmas or do you think I should get it now?

*sigh*

I have to wait. I have been SO goooooood! Just a little longer. And it's really starting to pay off. It's sort of like... what it called? Snowball effect or something? I just balanced the books last night, and I am SO happy! This summer was tough.

Now that I'm Ms. Tightwad, it's hard to spend the money on a Kindle. It's a big chunk. Sure, I've saved well over $30 a month for the past ten months. I could deal with $30 a month, but I can't deal with it all at once.

Did I mention I've donated half the stuff in my house? 80% of my books?

I don't think it would be so hard if I were actually buying a book now and then, but I don't feel right buying a book when I'll eventually want it to be on my Kindle.

Are you saving up for anything? Is the wait killing you? How do you stay strong? What's the most exciting thing you've ever saved up for?

15 bonus scribbles:

Aimless Writer 9/20/2008 03:43:00 PM  

Go to The Wild Rose Press. They have some free stories you can download...

its all I got.

spyscribbler 9/20/2008 04:10:00 PM  

I'm there! Thanks, Aimless! :-)

Heather Harper 9/20/2008 04:37:00 PM  

I really want one, too. But I am waiting for second generation before unloading that many $$$ on an electronic device.

But if you don't care about that, I say buy it now. :-)

spyscribbler 9/20/2008 05:18:00 PM  

I've been thinking of that, too, Heather. The second gen was rumored to come out in October, but it's going to be next year some time. So long! Yeah, I should wait for that, too.

*sigh*

Melanie Avila 9/20/2008 06:11:00 PM  

I was going to say buy it now, but I think Heather's right about the second generation. That at least gives you motive outside yourself to wait a little longer.

Edie 9/20/2008 08:40:00 PM  

Get the Kindle now! But if you decide to wait for the next one, then start buying books. You've saved and sacrificed enough. You deserve it.

And you can always go to the library. They're free. I love my library!

Robin 9/20/2008 11:07:00 PM  

The Kindle sounds totally cool, and I have to agree about the second generation. Plus, do you know anyone who has one and if they like it?

I'm saving to fix the basement so the boys want to stay here with their friends instead of going over other kids' houses and potentially smoking crack. If they're going to smoke crack, I'd prefer they do it here.

Zoe Winters 9/21/2008 02:24:00 PM  

I went a whole year without spending any money. It was kind of bizarre. now that I have my money here for my business stuff I have to remind myself that it is okay to spend it, especially when I've planned how I'm spending it for months now.

Susan Helene Gottfried 9/21/2008 03:43:00 PM  

Given the way Amazon is taking over publishing, no, I don't think you should save for a Kindle. A different kind of e-reader? Definitely.

Hell, I'm avoiding Target right now. 'Cause they're now selling the Sony e-Reader and all...

Susan Helene Gottfried 9/21/2008 03:44:00 PM  

(btw, if I have any books listed at my BookMooch inventory that you'd like to read, holler. I'll send 'em to ya. Just pass 'em along to someone else when you're done.)

spyscribbler 9/22/2008 01:13:00 PM  

Melanie, you're right. I keep thinking that!

spyscribbler 9/22/2008 01:14:00 PM  

Edie, I love the library, too. I use it for DVDs, but lately, the books have this smell. I seem to always get the books smokers have read. I should just sniff before I check out!

Why do I never think to? LOL!

spyscribbler 9/22/2008 01:16:00 PM  

Hah! My mother used to say that if I'm going to drink, I should do it at home. Thing is, she never would've let me drink at home! LOL. I didn't actually drink outside at home.

Except for the month I spent in Germany. And I think the 30 pounds I gained that month says it all.

spyscribbler 9/22/2008 01:17:00 PM  

Zoe, I will do that for weeks. I don't know why. I'll just not feel like spending a dime. The most I've gone is two weeks. But then I need groceries and stuff!

spyscribbler 9/22/2008 01:19:00 PM  

Hey, thanks, Susan! You're right, the DRM is driving me nuts. If I had a Kindle and was using Amazon, it wouldn't bother me.

The thing is, Sony has a terrible selection, and I'm not real clear on the formats they accept.

I know they accept pdf files, but now Adobe has all this DRM. So I bought Eat, Pray, Love digitally, but I can't put it on anything! Not my palm, not a Sony, not a Kindle.

TOTALLY peeves me!

But not enough to cut the number of books available to buy by 60%.