Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Respect, Writing & Rolling on the Floor

1. Respect: I have to confess something: when I first meet someone, I don't always view them as someone I can learn from. And that's really sad, since one of my core values is that I should learn something from everyone I meet.

Recently, I've even found myself even disregarding some people when they say something I think is stupid.

But even more recently, I've re-discovered that you can learn something from everyone.

Everyone.

Treating people with respect and dignity, even when you disagree or they believe something you believe to be not smart--it's not just a value to be "nice" to others. It's one that pays back dividends.

Even intelligent people are "stupid" in some ways.

That's not a lecture, LOL. It's just a realization I re-remembered, recently.

2. Writing: I have two more weeks, so things aren't so hectic. Except I want to throw out everything I've written. I love the characters, hate the story. I have just a bit to polish on another story, so I'm going to finish that and then tackle this one with more perspective.

4. Life: My brakes went out. Terrifying. Now I have to walk over an hour to get to the garage to pick up my car. *sigh* What can you do? Life, huh? The walk'll do me good, I suppose. (Pardon me for a moment, I need to write a letter to the universe.)

Dear Universe:

When I said I wanted to work hard, when I wanted plenty of work... when I said I wanted to make more money and save towards our goals, I just want to be clear: my goals are NOT broken lawn mowers, exploded brake lines, and dental emergencies. The extra money coming in is meant for saving for a rainy day, saving for our dreams, saving for financial stability.

Just because there appears to be more money this month, does not mean I don't already have bills to pay with it. Remember taxes? And the whole savings goals?

There's really no need to find a use for that money, thank you very much, because I already have it earmarked for important stuff like medical issues, dental issues, and vision issues. And taxes. Forever taxes.

So no more surprises, 'kay?

Natasha :-)

5. ROFLMAO: I'm sure you've all seen Robert Heinlein's form fan letter he used until the advent of the computer. (Via Moonrat)

My favorite one just cracked me up:

"You say that you have enjoyed my stories for years. Why did you wait until you disliked one story before writing to me?"

image

19 bonus scribbles:

spyscribbler 9/10/2008 11:47:00 AM  

Hah! Wow! I can't count. 1,2,4,5.

No wonder I have such problems!

Mark Terry 9/10/2008 12:23:00 PM  

I think that's a nice way of looking at people. I tried to write a piece about the different types of intelligence on my own blog, but thought it sounded arrogant, so I deleted it. But I do think that most everyone has something to offer. And for sure there are people who have more social skills than I have, but may not necessarily be as "smart", which is to say, technical things may be harder for them.

I always tell myself, there's always somebody smarter or better looking or talented, whatever, and it's what you do with it that matters. I very much like the idea that we can learn something from anybody.

spyscribbler 9/10/2008 01:11:00 PM  

I would've loved to read that! Maybe you could send it to me, Mark?

And it diminishes. I used to be good at math. It disappeared. I mean, I can still do it, but it's not like it was. I haven't used that part of my brain!

Eric Mayer,  9/10/2008 01:56:00 PM  

Glad you survived the brake failure. A couple weeks ago my brake line burst but I had enough brakes left to make it down the mile long hill to the garage, fortunately. Bad brakes are not fun.

spyscribbler 9/10/2008 02:01:00 PM  

I was terrified, Eric! I had ZERO brakes. None. In retrospect, I know now when the other brake lines burst. I just thought it was rainy and they were slippery or something.

When the last one went out, I was headed right for a red light. There was no stopping. Luckily, I made a fast right, then downshifted until I slowed the car down.

I drove the rest of the way VERY slowly, with one foot hovered above the emergency brake. I didn't want to pay for a tow, but I swear, I was very careful.

It was annoying that I had the blinkers on and I was going 15 mph, and people were still tailgating me. I mean, hello? It was real fun when I had to slam on the emergency brake.

Leigh Russell 9/10/2008 03:27:00 PM  

I've been feeling really annoyed about a colleague who treats most people (myself included) with disrespect. He has tantrums when he doesn't get his own way, and is RUDE. It's unpleasant and completely unnecessary. He ought to read your blog!

Melanie Avila 9/10/2008 03:44:00 PM  

Wow Spy, I'm glad you're ok. We've had a variety of brake issues but nothing that scary. (We have driven with only an emergency brake).

I love your thoughts on finding something to learn from in every person. Sometimes I think the only good thing is that person serves as an example of why I have goals in my life, but hey, that's something, right?

LaDonna 9/10/2008 04:02:00 PM  

Hey Spy, glad you're okay. I've had bad brakes before, but never in a dire situation of having none.

And I'm always learning from people, and sometimes it's just to remind myself of how Not to be. So, that makes it all good. And loved the fan letter posted. Too funny!

Edie 9/10/2008 04:45:00 PM  

Spy, so glad you're all right. It scares me secondhand.

I'm going to write a letter to the universe too. Mine involves money too. Hope the universe listens to both of us!

ac 9/10/2008 07:32:00 PM  

"Treating people with respect and dignity, even when you disagree or they believe something you believe to be not smart..."

Up until a month ago, I believed the above. This election has brought out a side of me that belongs in a steel cage match.

Hopefully, I'll be back to normal after November.

But there's no telling what type of damage I may cause in the mean time.

marciacolette 9/10/2008 09:46:00 PM  

Whoa. Glad to hear you made it through okay with the brakes. The worse brake experience I've ever had was them going out again after they had supposedly been fixed. My older brother thoroughly enjoyed cursing the mechanic out. ;-)

I second your letter to the universe. When I realized I'd come into a little cash after The Man swallowed up our small company, everything seemed the break. The tops on the list...the heat pump. All $2000 of it had ot be replaced. Unless it's the lottery, I don't have high expectation for extra anymore. Something will break and it'll take the entire check to fix it. :-(

Robin 9/10/2008 11:14:00 PM  

Glad you're OK, Spy! That's frightening!

Love the letter to the Universe idea. I'm going to keep mine private, because it will probably be filled with all sorts of superficial things, like, couldn't cupcakes have no calories...

spyscribbler 9/11/2008 12:45:00 AM  

Leigh, that sounds awful. He sounds miserable. Gosh, miserable. I can sympathize with that, too. It's been a rough week at work. Rough, rough, rough.

spyscribbler 9/11/2008 12:46:00 AM  

Melanie, sometimes I start to worry I'm that person! I was driving with only the emergency brake. It is scary!

spyscribbler 9/11/2008 12:46:00 AM  

Wasn't that funny, Ladonna? I needed the laugh, I really did. Actually, it still cracks me up! It's true, we humans are like that, aren't we?

spyscribbler 9/11/2008 12:47:00 AM  

Oh, Edie, I could write a buttlong letter to the universe, but I have other writing to do, too. I'm so sick of working 24/7 at this moment.

I hope the universe listens to you! And I was serious about starting a visualization board.

spyscribbler 9/11/2008 12:49:00 AM  

ac, it does seem as though this election has brought out much passion. I don't remember things being this heated 4 or 8 years ago, even with the Gore thing.

I think times are a bit tough. We could really use a good leader.

spyscribbler 9/11/2008 12:50:00 AM  

Gawd, Marcia, isn't that the truth? I'm so darned fed up with it, some days! Really!

I am so playing the lottery on Friday.

spyscribbler 9/11/2008 12:51:00 AM  

Ohmigosh, Robin. You mentioned cupcakes! That would be PERFECT right now. Cupcakes are EXACTLY what I want. WIth tons of icing...

I think the universe respects what's important. And cupcakes are definitely important!