Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sleep, finally! And Mourning.

Only about six hours, but it was good, deep sleep. I set my alarm for 8 and I didn't hear it. At all. Not even a slight awakening. It was great. Sleep feels so good when you haven't had it in awhile. (Thanks, Edie!)

And I finally finished my latest WIP. And I am SO SAD. It is the most bittersweet ending I've ever written, and I cried. Hopefully it's not melodramatic and stupid in the reader's eyes. Or unsatisfying.

It's happy. It's just sad.

I've never been this sad before. Usually I hate my stories with a passion when they are done.

I distrust that they are so vivid to me. I'd rather them be fuzzy in my head and clear on the paper, but these characters feel so real to me. That worries me, because what's coming out on paper doesn't feel as vivid.

I miss them.

This is the fourth in the series, so maybe I just love these characters more. I don't know. Have you ever had a post-finish funk? A post-finish sadness? I want to unwrite the ending so it won't be over, so I can spend more time with them.

I already want to write the next one in the series.

Onward and upward. I'm burying myself in Anita Blake's world to finish an essay I've been plucking at for months. I'm struggling with the structure of it. I'm not sure it's working. We'll see.

And there's another novella I'm in the middle of writing. (Can you see why I lost my sanity?) I'd love to finish it by October 2, so I can spend a couple weeks just reading. I need a break.

One funny: when I was reading through my story and doing the final polish, I found a place where I'd used second person. I'd been so deep in my character's skin, I'd actually slipped and used second person. LOL!

So where are you in your writing world? How's the WIP? What's the WIP? Which genre? How much do you love your characters, at the moment?

30 bonus scribbles:

Melanie Avila 9/27/2008 10:37:00 AM  

Yay for sleep! I've caught myself slipping into 2nd a couple times and I've been wanting to ask when that's permissible. It's while he's musing on things and it only lasts for a sentence or two. Is it ever ok or should I reword it? Hmm...

I'm so curious to read your stories. Is this series available in a way I can get to it?

Stephen Parrish 9/27/2008 12:21:00 PM  

I had to cut three characters I loved out of a novel that was running too long, and it still bothers me. But! I can always go back and read the early drafts to spend time with them again.

Amy Nathan 9/27/2008 12:27:00 PM  

You've written about your writing, your books and your WIP but your work isn't listed on your blog - would love to read one of your books!

Good for you on the sleeping. I must sleep. All else pales in comparison to sleep.

I am still getting to know my characters, who are constantly changing. Every time they change, I like them more and more - they're getting feisty!

Robin 9/27/2008 12:44:00 PM  

I'm so happy you got some sleep. I was getting tired just thinking about you not getting sleep.

I've decided to bag the fiction project and stick with nonfiction/humor for now. I've developed this terrific non-paying, unpopular, time-wasting niche. Why not go with it?

spyscribbler 9/27/2008 12:45:00 PM  

Melanie, you mean a thought of his? You could do the italicized thought thing. Mine was more like: "I put a hand to his chest and you wrapped a hand around the back of my neck." LOL!

*sigh* I shoulda just been a blogger under my pseudonym. It's real name up there, and I need to keep them separate for now.

It's totally on my list to write you guys a story. I mean, you guys support me and I don't even give you anything for it.

spyscribbler 9/27/2008 12:50:00 PM  

Oh, Stephen, how awful! That would break my heart. I can't imagine cutting these characters.

I don't tend to have very many secondary characters to cut, considering my max is supposedly 40,000 words. (I generally end up at 52,000, oops.)

spyscribbler 9/27/2008 12:54:00 PM  

Feisty! I love it, Amy! You said it: sleep is good.

Okay, I promise I will write you guys something. I have no idea what. But I'll write you something.

This blog has turned a bit into my confessional on my writing life. I've got my real name here, and my pop essay/s, but pseudo is separate. Pseudo doesn't believe in talking about writing, thinks it spoils the magic.

spyscribbler 9/27/2008 12:55:00 PM  

Totally, Robin! And your stuff rocks. I don't understand this. You should definitely be getting paid a TON. Publishers should be knocking down your door!

Edie 9/27/2008 01:07:00 PM  

When I read "Mourning" in your title, I thought you were going to blog about Paul Newman. It's great that you loved your characters so much that you mourn them. I bet whey came out great on the page.

Glad the Melatonin helped you. I only slept about 5 hours last night, and I feel a nap coming on.

Melanie Avila 9/27/2008 03:27:00 PM  

I thought the same thing about the Mourning in your title.

Yes, please write us something - but only when you have a spare moment, lol. :)

Yes, my 2nd person is a thought, so I guess that's ok? LOL that you switched that deeply. You really DO love your characters.

Travis Erwin 9/27/2008 04:10:00 PM  

Six hours. You must feel like you have a new lease on life.

spyscribbler 9/27/2008 09:38:00 PM  

Edie, I hope you sleep well tonight! Yeah, I'm lame, didn't blog about Paul Newman. I admire who he was and what he did. And love the cookies. ;-)

spyscribbler 9/27/2008 09:38:00 PM  

Melanie, this is the first story I wrote that made me cry at the ending. Sad. :-)

spyscribbler 9/27/2008 09:39:00 PM  

Travis, I do! And what's crazy is that usually isn't enough sleep for me.

Angie 9/27/2008 10:16:00 PM  

I'm currently between projects. Not that I don't have any WIPs, but rather that I don't have any fiction actually due to anyone, and that's a nice feeling. Of course, I'm a lot more productive when I have a deadline [wry smile] but it's pretty stressful, so I have to balance things out.

Right now I have to write an article on the pitfalls of small presses and brand new presses and brand new internet periodicals, and how to avoid them. It's for an LJ community for folks who get together and commit to write something every week, to a series of prompts. They recently had a post go up linking to a brand new online magazine. A friend linked me and I went and looked and thought the thing was horribly problematical, and so I wrote to the mod. They asked me to write a thing they could post on the subject. There's no actual deadline, but I said a couple of days and it's been that, so I need to get to it.

Fiction-wise, I have a novelette I'm working on. It's done but I'm doing a fairly massive rewrite on it; I ripped out the setting and am installing a new one. :P It's like jacking up a two-story house, demolishing the first story and foundation and building it new. It has to be different, stronger, but it also has to mesh seamlessly with the old second story which is sort of dangling there. O_O It's, ummm, challenging -- yeah, that's a good word -- but I really like this story and I think it's worth it. :)

Angie

Robin 9/28/2008 10:06:00 AM  

Funny you should mention the door thing, Spy. Someone did break down the door the other day, but it turns out it was someone trying to kill Kevin, because he hurt their ears with all his whining. We subdued the guy, gave him a cup of coffee, and commiserated with him. We all felt a lot better. The door guy's coming tomorrow to fix it.

Ello 9/28/2008 11:32:00 AM  

Hurray for finishing! And I am in the midst of major revisions and am still loving my characters so that's a good thing right?

Anonymous,  9/28/2008 03:48:00 PM  

I'm glad you have finished! I hear about the sort of "I'm done!" jetlag you talk about, but it sounds to me that you fell a sense of loss like anyone does when some project you were intensely involved in is over. Empty breast syndrome, LOL??

writtenwyrdd

Barrie 9/28/2008 04:43:00 PM  

Oh, I think it must be a very good sign if the characters are that real to you. And, to be honest, I'm usually very happy to be with a ms. Not that I don't love my characters. More that I'm behind with the rest of my life and need to catch up. ;)

Virginia Lady 9/28/2008 06:55:00 PM  

My last sleep was a mixed thing. I slept like the dead, but I'm pretty sure I tried to take out one of my eyes. It certainly feels like it right now. Ouch.

The end of a book is always a mixed bag for me. I'm bummed that it's over but glad it's a step closer to getting published. But I'm annoyed because I know there are things I could/should/would do better, but I know I need to step away for a while and get perspective. It's a phase and one that really takes some adjusting to.

As for my current work. I actually have several, but the one I've worked on the most recently is a paranormal urban fantasy. I have an affinity for things that go bump in the night. I love Anita Blake and have read the series several times over now. It's an addiction. I hope she helps you with your essay!

spyscribbler 9/28/2008 07:02:00 PM  

Wow, Angie! For being between projects, that's a lot! I think an internet periodical sounds fantastic. I've come across that pay well. I bet there are some scams out there. Your article sounds like a big help.

A whole new setting! That's brave!

spyscribbler 9/28/2008 07:32:00 PM  

LOL, Robin! Poor Kevin.

And coffee sounds great about right now! I hope the door repair guy is really hot. :-)

spyscribbler 9/28/2008 07:35:00 PM  

Ello, that's a fabulous thing! I'm still in love with my characters. I miss them!

Good luck!

spyscribbler 9/28/2008 07:36:00 PM  

Written, Empty Breast Syndrome is a great word for it. I like it! And so is jet lag. I had to get moving on something yesterday, but I just couldn't get much done.

spyscribbler 9/28/2008 07:38:00 PM  

Barrie, I know that feeling well! Actually, I usually despise my stories when they're done. Hate them! I can't wait to get caught up on my life, LOL.

spyscribbler 9/28/2008 07:40:00 PM  

Virginia, how cool is that? I love Anita Blake.

I think a book is always imperfect. No matter how good you make it, at some point there will always be something you find that you feel you could've done better.

Angie 9/28/2008 10:56:00 PM  

The basic idea of a webzine is fine and there are some good ones. The particular one which spurred this conversation, however, is brand new, doesn't pay at all, and "claims" four different sets of rights to your story, including first print rights and non-exclusive anthology rights. :/ Even if we assume that this is ignorance rather than malice, and what they mean is that they want a first option on your story in case they ever decide to go to print with an anthology, at which point they'll negotiate payment, that's not what they said. So figure, either malice or ignorance, and I'm not eager to do business with a publisher who displays either.

And even if they do mean to claim an option rather than the rights themselves for no compensation, if I thought my story might fly in the print market, I'd want to see some money from anyone who expected me to hold those rights reserved for them for any significant period of time. You want an option, fine -- where's my check? It wouldn't have to be huge, but some sort of earnest money would be nice.

It just all-around smells like some clueless newbie. It's one thing if folks who aren't serious about being professional writers want to give them a story or two so they can link their friends and say, "Look! I'm in an online magazine!" then that's cool. But for anyone who's looking to get serious with their writing, this is a great example of what to watch out for. [sigh]

Angie

spyscribbler 9/28/2008 11:01:00 PM  

That's crazy, Angie! I hate giving my rights away even with a check!

Angie 9/28/2008 11:06:00 PM  

SS -- isn't it? :/ I mean, I'll do it under certain circumstances (just posted about that recently) but for a brand new publisher I didn't know, for a webzine which might or might not end up with any respect or even audience at all, and four different sets of rights?? That's insane. But there are baby writers who'll go for it, because they're so eager to be "published." There's always a new crop of folks waiting to be ripped off, whether deliberately or just because a publisher/editor/agent doesn't know what the heck they're doing.

Angie

Lauren 9/29/2008 08:41:00 AM  

That's so awesome that you got so much into your charectors. I'm with edie--I totally thought you were going to be blogging about Newman :P

I usually feel a little sad when any big project is finished. Congrats for finishing the WIP! :)