Friday, September 05, 2008

T.M.I.

I love my writing lair in the basement, but I hadn't been out amongst people for five or so days, and I was getting a little crazy, a little wild-eyed.

So here I am at Borders, writing.

And, walking through the store, I realized I love books so much, being in a bookstore turns me on. Strolling through the aisles, I feel such intense desire for the smell of books, the possibilities of books, the energy of books, that I can't bear to even touch the books.

I don't look at covers; I don't look at titles. I don't pay attention to genre or author.

I just walk the aisles, with the same pleasure a dog gets from rolling in the grass on a bright summer day.

God, I love words.

I love bookstores.'

I love stories.

Totally turns me on.

Ever feel like that?

21 bonus scribbles:

Barrie 9/05/2008 04:47:00 PM  

I love libraries. And bookstores. And, um, stationery stores.

Amy Nathan 9/05/2008 05:03:00 PM  

Yes I love bookstores, just wandering, touching, picking up books and leafing through.

Heaven!

spyscribbler 9/05/2008 05:08:00 PM  

Oh, Barrie, yes, paper! Paper! And ink. Fountain pens, nibs, ink, ink, ink.

A blank page has the same possibilities as an unopened book, I think.

PS: I love your new pic!

spyscribbler 9/05/2008 05:09:00 PM  

Amy, yes, yes, yes. The touching is good, too. :-) The smell.

I want a Kindle desperately, and I don't want any more books cluttering my house, but... I love the bookstore.

Susan Helene Gottfried 9/05/2008 06:12:00 PM  

No, but the fact that you do is what I like about you. Among other things.

J.K. Mahal 9/05/2008 06:22:00 PM  

Totally. Libraries do it for me too.

Edie 9/05/2008 06:50:00 PM  

Absolutely! But I think more when I was younger. We had a bookmobile stop a couple blocks from my house when I was very young. My mother would walk us there, and I can still remember my excitement walking into this mobile trailer filled with shelves of books.

Ello 9/05/2008 07:26:00 PM  

Yes all the time! Libraries and bookstores are my favorite places in the world.

Heather Harper 9/05/2008 08:38:00 PM  

Barnes and Noble was the happy place I would visualize during all three of my labors. Not a tropical beach with lulling waves, but a bookstore with lattes and comfy chairs. ;-)

LaDonna 9/05/2008 11:05:00 PM  

Spy, I love this post! My favorite job was working at the library. Just touching the books and, yes, smelling them placed me in Nirvana. I love the feel of them, and have slept with one under my pillow before. I have them surrounding me in my home, office, bedroom, living area. I'm always within distance of a book.

This love affair has been going on my whole life. Love book stores too, it's an experience for all the senses.

spyscribbler 9/06/2008 12:59:00 AM  

Aw, shucks, Susan! Thanks! I think you rock. :-)

spyscribbler 9/06/2008 01:00:00 AM  

J.K., I totally miss the library of my childhood. The one in this town doesn't really do it for me, don't know why. Too small? I don't know. It doesn't take my breath away like a good bookstore does.

Or a BIG library. Give me a multi-floor library and see me go faint!

spyscribbler 9/06/2008 01:01:00 AM  

Edie, the BOOKMOBILE! Ohmigosh, the bookmobile! I forgot about the bookmobile! I haven't seen one since grade school, but can I tell how much I loved it when the bookmobile came to school?

That was one magic bus!

spyscribbler 9/06/2008 01:03:00 AM  

Heather, that would SO be me! I'm more a Borders girl, but same idea!

When I heard Borders might go under, I was in tears. Really. If I ever get my name on a cover all by myself, I will be DEVASTATED if Borders isn't around to house it.

spyscribbler 9/06/2008 01:05:00 AM  

Ladonna, I know, exactly! There's an energy about them! Before DH, I would sleep with books. STACKS of books. We're talking twenty - thirty book on the other side of the bed, falling onto my pillow, sliding under my covers, and, of course, one always in my hands because I'd fallen asleep reading it.

I seriously dream of working at Borders.

Robin 9/06/2008 11:58:00 AM  

My house's main decorative concept is books. Strewn everywhere. And I don't think it looks messy. I think it looks great!

Lauren 9/09/2008 02:11:00 PM  

I love bookstores. All those thoughts and ideas crammed into one little store (or big store, depending on the chain).

My hubby hates when I see a bookstore. He knows if I go in, it'll be at least a couple of hours before I come back out.

Oh, and they usually have coffee. I love coffee.

spyscribbler 9/10/2008 10:39:00 AM  

Robin, I can see that! I know someone's house that has tons of shelves: going up the stairs, through the living room, in the bedrooms, the hallway... and it looks FANTASTIC.

My books don't have that same... effect. I'm not sure why, LOL!

spyscribbler 9/10/2008 10:39:00 AM  

Totally, Lauren! Ohmigawd, it's like dope. I walk in, and I'm practically giddy!

Melanie Avila 9/10/2008 03:51:00 PM  

I meant to take a picture of the bookstore and completely forgot! Ugh!