Monday, September 29, 2008

Whatcha Doing Thursday?

A couple people mentioned they were going to watch the debates the other night. A ton of people have mentioned they are going to watch the debate this Thursday.

Usually the vice-presidential debate is a bit of a blip. Usually I watch one debate. (I teach at night, so it was never a choice. We didn't have TiVo during the last election!) I've never watched a vice-presidential debate.

Oh, but I will this time!

What about you? Do you think more people are watching this debate? Are you?

I'm just terrified. I find myself staring at her, mouth open, mentally putting her at a negotiation table with China or Russian or Iran. I'm trying to imagine her as Commander in Chief.

Let's include some YouTube on McCain, a man who admits he still needs to be educated on the economy:

And what a sense of humor! You gotta wait for the punch line at the end:

Now back to Sarah Palin. Can you imagine her negotiating with Vladimir Putin? Only the first 40 seconds is stuff I haven't shown before. You can hear she's got the talking points memorized, but she doesn't seem to be able to think on the spot.

Oh, how nice: Palin is willing to put blind faith in our allies with no second-guessing. And, thank God, she knows the good guys from the bad guys.

What a relief. Because we all know the world is black and white, and the best way to keep the peace is to pretend the gray area doesn't exist.

Anyone who knows me knows that one of my "button" issues is the treatment, respect, and care for the elderly. But if you want to accuse me of ageism, I'm cool with that. Because I have to mention that if we elect McCain, there is a 1 in 3 chance that this woman will be the leader of the free world.

Matt Damon (of all people!) makes a great point. Although, it's 1 in 5 for his first term, 1 in 3 for his second term.

14 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 9/29/2008 07:20:00 AM  

Well, I'll be in class on Thursday night, and keeping my fingers crossed that Joe Biden flays Sarah Palin to ribbons.

How's the writing going? And how many days until DH returns?

Aimless Writer 9/29/2008 07:30:00 AM  

I'm going to miss it! And I'm so upset about this!
However I will be in a meeting where one of Barack's people will be speaking to get the support of the local Dems in town so its not too bad. I'll catch it on the internet as soon as I get home!
Her interview with Katie Couric was scary. You could see after each answer Katie was wondering what the heck Palin was talking about. Why can't that woman give a straight answer? lol

Lauren 9/29/2008 08:35:00 AM  

I think that one of the big reasons to watch the debate is to see what the candidates care about. Obviously there are many additional reasons, but this seems to be a big one for many people. Palin is so new at the national level that she is a major unknown so I think lots of people are going to be tuning in to she what she thinks and if she can hold her own. I'll be for sure watching.

Stephen Parrish 9/29/2008 09:21:00 AM  

Thanks for the Matt Damon video. I've always liked him.

I'll watch the debate if I possibly can (if CNN International broadcasts it). It should make for great comedy.

Rick 9/29/2008 10:56:00 AM  

Ever since I learned that politicians are really actors in a television show written by the creators of Sesame Street, I no longer find it necessary to watch debates. I go directly to Sesame Street itself to learn what's really going on and what to do about it.

And useful things are taught there; if I could get the entire country to abandon the illusions that Democrats and Republicans are anything more than adults who grew up without paying enough attention to Bert and Ernie, then we wouldn't have so many problems with the Cookie Monsters in life.

J.K. Mahal 9/29/2008 12:17:00 PM  

I'm moving the night of the VP debate, but I'll catch it on Youtube. If nothing else, I'm glad to see so many people actually interested in what the candidates have to say.

Melanie Avila 9/29/2008 01:20:00 PM  

I'll be watching the debate for sure.

I hadn't seen all the videos you posted and I just cannot fathom how someone like Palin advances in government. She can't think for herself - which I guess explains it somewhat - but she just doesn't make any sense. I don't think Bush thinks for himself but he at least gets his point across.

(yes, lightning just struck me for speaking of Bush in a favorable manner.)

Kath Calarco 9/29/2008 01:34:00 PM  

Thanks for the cool YouTubes! I loved seeing Tim Russert and wish he were still here to interview Sarah Palin.

I have new respect for Katie Couric; she ate Palin alive doing an excellent job putting the bimbo back in beehive.

Yes indeedy, I'll be tuning in Thursday. I just can't get enough of Sarah Palin.

Kath Calarco 9/29/2008 03:02:00 PM  

I just found this on a Washington Post blog and couldn't resist sharing:

"I would recommend that Sen Biden not sipp any water during any of Palin's answers to questions during the debate. There is too great a risk of it exploding out of his mouth and nose when Governor Barbie says yet another incredibly stupid thing."
The next game changing gambit from McCodger this week will be the Palin withdrawl and hence the need to postpone THIS debate.
If she has not pulled out and the debate happens , I hope Gwen Iffil or Joe Biden ask her if ALL Alaskan families name their kids after their favorite sled dogs.

Kath Calarco 9/29/2008 03:04:00 PM  

oops, my mistake on where I closed the quote. It should be after, "name their kids after their favorite sled dogs." :)

Zoe Winters 9/29/2008 05:36:00 PM  

Oh I can't wait to watch the VP debate. hahahahahahahaha. Funneh funneh.

You know I had said that the stakes were too high to not vote the lesser evil, but the more I look at it they're both evil and there is no "lesser" about it. Palin wants to control my uterus (which lets face it, if she got close enough to succeeding I could get a total unchangeable tubal (where they burn the edges of the fallopian tubes not just "tie"), even if I had to leave the country to do it for some reason.

But Biden wants to control the internet, and that's not something I can as easily wiggle around.

They're both poor running mate choices, IMO. The only benefit is that Obama seems less likely to croak during office unless he's killed during office, but if W. survived... holy crap.

Though with or without the presidency, Biden would be working behind the scenes to get his totalitarian internet regime approved. He's been in Hollywood's pocket for ages.

So i'm voting Libertarian. Screw this crap, I do not believe in either party. Republicans want to control my uterus and my religion. Democrats want to control my money and my entertainment.

Neither represents freedom.

Edie 9/29/2008 07:59:00 PM  

I have a friend who sends me all the videos. I think I'm watching more videos than writing! It's so bad.

Yes, I'll be watching on Thursday. And on Saturday I'll be watching SNL to see if Tina Fey is on there again. The only fun I'm getting out of this bad time we're going through is seein Palin mocked.

Nicholas 9/30/2008 09:04:00 PM  

Do you remember "Senator, you are no Jack Kennedy." ? What do you suppose the 2008 equivalent will be?