Thursday, October 09, 2008

I Love My Kindle

image First, I'm sorry for my disappearance and late responding to comments. I can't even use DH's return as an excuse, because he's been so exhausted, he's mostly sleeping. Or running errands and taking care of all the little stuff. God, I love the man.

The Kindle, however, is my excuse. I've been reading up a storm!

I got a Kindle for my birthday! Let me count the ways I love my Kindle! In my massive book cull, I kept about one hundred books. I'm thinking of getting rid of ALL of them, except about ten that I love, are signed, and aren't available on the Kindle.

I love the smell, feel, and energy of books. I would even go so far as to admit a bookstore kinda even turns me on. But my bookshelves don't. The Kindle does. :-)

First, the Kindle is pretty. It used to look ugly in the pictures, but it's every bit as pretty as the Sony Reader. It's got this pretty little silver select strip thing that just amazes me. I don't know how this e-ink technology works, but it's way cool.

image Second, books are cheap. WOW! Books are cheap. Paperbacks are around four and five dollars, and hardbacks are around seven to nine dollars. And there are TONS of free books (especially the classics) out there at feedbooks, which rocks. I got Crime and Punishment and the whole Oz (Frank Baum) series. I'd missed a couple when I was young.

Third, the font is very readable and easily enlargable. Totally rocks. And reading in the sun is easy. I take it with me everywhere.

Fourth, the Whispernet wireless technology rocks. Anytime I think of a book I want to read, I download the sample. That way I'm not buying books until I actually read them, and I won't forget that I want to read them. And buying a book anywhere with a single, easy click is the ultimate in convenience.

image Fifth, I'm reading more. And my long dry spell of buying no books is OVER! YES! I stopped buying books for nearly a year. Let me tell you, that was TORTURE. But now I've got a Kindle! Definitely worth it.

The first books I bought on the Kindle were:image

  1. One for Sorrow by Mary Reed and Eric Mayer
  2. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
  3. Mists of Avalon by Mary Zimmer Bradley

The very first book I'm reading on my Kindle is One for Sorrow. So far, it's awesome. Unlike anything I've ever read. It's a fifth century mystery in Constantinople. So cool.

Lately, I seem to enjoy reading more than one book at once. The ability to carry 200 books with me just KILLS me. I LOVE IT! And on a lazy level, it's so much easier to click a button to turn the page than it is to actually turn a page.

And seeing how it looks like you're actually looking at a page from a real book, I don't really miss the feel and look of paper. It really looks just like a page from a book. It's cool.

The Sony Reader is coming out with a touch screen in time for Christmas, I believe. I like that it will accept Adobe Digital Editions and many other formats, and the touch screen makes for a larger book "page."

Still, the Whispernet wireless ability to touch a button and download a book without the bother of hooking it up to my computer is something I very quickly can't live without. Not to mention the fact that Amazon has so many more books! (About double.)

So what about you? Are you thinking of making the jump to an e-book reader? Which e-reader are you leaning toward? The e-ink technology is amazing. I still keep staring at it, touching it to make sure it's not real paper, LOL!

43 bonus scribbles:

Mark Terry 10/09/2008 09:08:00 AM  

So if I sent you, say, a PDF of the third Derek Stillwater novel, say, as a birthday present, you could read it on your Kindle?

spyscribbler 10/09/2008 09:11:00 AM  

OHMIGAWD, YES! Are you serious, would you, really????!!!!

Eric Mayer,  10/09/2008 09:16:00 AM  

Wow. Thank you! That's one of the best compliments we've ever had. When we started the series we thought it'd be really neat because it would be so different but though it's done well a lot of people either don't think it different or don't like different! So it's wonderful to see there are people on our wavelength.

Amy Nathan 10/09/2008 09:22:00 AM  

I know people love, it but frankly I can't imagine not snuggling up with a book, flipping pages, etc. I'm old fashioned I guess...

Kath Calarco 10/09/2008 09:30:00 AM  

Two hundred books? Are you serious? That certainly saves a lot of trees.

Question: how's the back-lighting? Is it similar to looking at a computer screen?

Edie 10/09/2008 09:30:00 AM  

Spy, I'm jealous. I want my husband to go away, just so he'll come back and give me a Kindle.

I'm not buying one now because of price. When the price lowers to what I can afford, I'll buy one. I wouldn't get rid of my keeper books, though. I love the way they look.

Heather Harper 10/09/2008 10:02:00 AM  

So happy for you, Spy! Happy belated birthday and happy reading. :-)

LaDonna 10/09/2008 12:03:00 PM  

Hey Spy! I've never been tempted to buy a Kindle, till now. You make it sound delicious, I tell ya! Hmmm, must check price and like Edie, probably wait till said price goes down. lol.

Hey, does it have a lighted screen for bedtime reading? When I have a reading lamp on, hubby rolls a pillow over his eyes. Baby, baby.... lol.

LaDonna 10/09/2008 12:04:00 PM  

Ooops, happy happy birthday, Spy!

Melanie Avila 10/09/2008 12:53:00 PM  

I'm glad you love your Kindle! I've played with my mom's and the e-ink is wicked cool.

Avery DeBow 10/09/2008 12:55:00 PM  

I love the idea of portable readers, both from a reader's standpoint and an author's. I think it has the potential to open the market to more new writers than ever before.

I can download books on my iPhone and I love not having to jam a giant book in my bag when I have a doctor's appointment. Plus, the free books are great; I've downloaded all the ones I had once planned to "get around to one day," and read them whenever I'm stuck somewhere.

And Mists of Avalon, yay! Don't tell me if you hate it, it'll crush me.

Robin 10/09/2008 02:07:00 PM  

I think I have Kindle Envy now. I'm hinting a lot at home. Maybe for the holidays...

Is it easy on the eyes? That would be my main worry. If it is - I'm there.

Barrie 10/09/2008 03:16:00 PM  

I'm feeling more and more drawn to the Kindle...

Zoe Winters 10/09/2008 05:59:00 PM  

Awesome Spy, I'm glad you love your kindle!

You'll be able to either download the free PDF file of the novella from my site and have it converted for your kindle, or can get it on amazon. Luckily after this one I'm doing podcasts instead of free ebooks, then kindle editions will make sense.

The Kindle edition this time is mainly going to exist for two reasons:

1. For people who think something is worthless unless they had to pay money for it, and won't stoop to reading something free.

2. to go ahead and get myself into the Amazon.com system so people can leave reviews there if they wish.

spyscribbler 10/09/2008 08:52:00 PM  

Eric, I just finished it and downloaded number 2. I love them! Do I remember you saying something on your blog about them releasing more of your titles on Kindle?

spyscribbler 10/09/2008 08:54:00 PM  

LOL, Amy. Right now I have all of Dickens, Thomas Hardy, and Austen. And 140 more classics, plus a few newbies, plus a ton of samples.

And I can carry them all around at once. Ohmigawd, I am in heaven!

Plus it looks like real paper. It's funky.

spyscribbler 10/09/2008 08:55:00 PM  

Kath, ohmigosh, it's awesome! There's no backlighting at all. E-ink technology makes it like a piece of paper, which means you can read it in direct sunlight. But you need a light if you want to read it in the dark.

spyscribbler 10/09/2008 08:57:00 PM  

Edie, the price is high. I didn't buy books for a year. It was torture, but it was well worth it. I love this thing more than I loved my first, second, or even latest laptop. Totally rocks.

spyscribbler 10/09/2008 08:58:00 PM  

Thanks, Heather! I'm having a blast!

spyscribbler 10/09/2008 08:59:00 PM  

Ladonna, either the next Kindle or the next Sony Reader is putting a little light in it that shines only on the screen. So by the time you're ready to buy one, it'll be waiting for you!

spyscribbler 10/09/2008 08:59:00 PM  

Melanie, I am LOVING it. It's incredible!

spyscribbler 10/09/2008 09:00:00 PM  

LOL, Avery, I know I won't hate it: I've already read the first few chapters. LOVING it so far. I'm certain I'm going to love the whole thing.

What do you think of the rest of her books?

spyscribbler 10/09/2008 09:02:00 PM  

Robin, ohmigawd, it's incredibly easy on the eyes. It's, swear to goodness, like looking at a piece of paper. There's no backlighting, so no eyestrain like a computer. And you can enlarge the font, which I love. Now that I'm a year older, I've got the font size as big as it goes. ;-)

spyscribbler 10/09/2008 09:03:00 PM  

Barrie, I can't put it down. I just downloaded over a hundred classics. It totally rocks! I'm carrying over a hundred books in my hand! All the time! I LOVE IT!

spyscribbler 10/09/2008 09:05:00 PM  

LOL, Zoe! And thanks! I'll be downloading it from Kindle. Just cause it'll fly on to my Kindle so easy. Lookin' forward to it!

StarvingWriteNow 10/10/2008 09:36:00 AM  

The kindle sounds lovely--however, I plan to die under an avalanche of books, so I think I'll have to pass. Oh--or maybe I'll be like those book hoarders in Fahrenheit 451 and insulate my house with books, stuff my attic full...

Glad you like it. And I have a question for you about putting a third column in a blog. How did you do it? I tried to this morning and it just didn't work; kept getting xml messages and stuff. Arrgh!

Melanie Avila 10/10/2008 10:24:00 AM  

So what you're saying is... you love it? ;)

Avery DeBow 10/10/2008 12:06:00 PM  

You know, I don't care for any of her other works. It's rude to say, but it seems to me like all her talent went directly into this book. I actually have a friend who thinks this book was channeled to her from a higher power, and that's why it stands high above her other works. I don't think that's exactly it, but I agree all her other works pale in comparison. This book hit me with a profound force, and, cliched as it is to say it, changed my life. That's why I push it on other people like a drug dealer.

Barrie 10/10/2008 12:11:00 PM  

Spyscribbler: it's the thought of having all those books at my fingertips...that's what's reeling me in. And guess what I found out about a month ago? My book will be available for the Kindle. It's like a sign I should get one. :)

spyscribbler 10/10/2008 01:11:00 PM  

Writenow, that would be the ideal way to die. Some dark library, stuffed between the stacks, reading a book. And BAM! Never knew what hit me. :-)

For the third column, I switched to "classic" layout and used a template, then tweaked and hand-coded it. I know html, but I'm clueless about html.

Have you tried googling for "blogger templates"? There's lots of pre-made three column ones, I think! :-)

spyscribbler 10/10/2008 01:15:00 PM  

Wow, Avery. That is cool. I've started reading it and loved it. The movie hit me that way, and I hear it's nothing compared to the book.

spyscribbler 10/10/2008 01:15:00 PM  

Barrie, ohmigosh, I've just gone into hyper mode with reading. I'm so excited to read all these books I have RIGHT THERE IN MY HAND, that I keep switching between them!

Remember that scene in Chocolat when the Count or whatever he was takes one bit of chocolate, and then he literally rolls in it and starts gobbling all of it?

That's how I am right now with books and the Kindle. :-)

lainey bancroft 10/10/2008 04:08:00 PM  

You got a Kindle! Lu...cky!

Happy birthday!

Melanie Avila 10/10/2008 08:01:00 PM  

LOL! Stop rolling around with your Kindle!

Aimless Writer 10/10/2008 08:14:00 PM  

Tempting...so tempting but how sturdy is this thing? What happens if you drop it? Or if it falls off the bed. (I'm constantly losing books under the bed cause I fall asleep reading)
Can you read it in bright sunlight? Does it make your eyes tired? What if you want to go back a few pages to find something...how easy is it to page back? Is it heavier than a book? Is it rechargeable or does it run on batteries?
Sounds like happy times in the spyscribbler house. :)
Glad your smiling!

Rick 10/11/2008 01:51:00 PM  

It's a trap to enslave you by the Everyready Bunny. Next thing you know we'll be hooked like gang members on crack. More and more people might start reading again because it's fun. Writers would sell more books and make more money.

Don't fall for it.

spyscribbler 10/11/2008 05:39:00 PM  

Thanks, Lainey! I am SO loving it!

spyscribbler 10/11/2008 05:39:00 PM  

LOL, Melanie! Never! It has barely left my hand since I got it!

spyscribbler 10/11/2008 05:44:00 PM  

Hey, Aimless! I haven't tried the drop test myself, but I've heard other people dropping it and they say it's good.

It feels sturdy to me! You can definitely read in bright sunlight. It's exactly like reading a piece of paper, just like the paper in a book.

No strain on the eyes, because it's not like a laptop that's backlit. This doesn't use light at all to make the "e-ink." It's truly like a page of a book. It's really amazing!

You just press previous page to page back. You can also put in bookmarks, highlights, and add notes. Very cool features!

It's rechargeable. The battery lasts a really long time. Less if you keep the wireless on, but I charge it every night. It's only about half-used each night, maybe less. I've had the wireless on a lot, though. :-)

spyscribbler 10/11/2008 05:44:00 PM  

LOL, Rick! Go Kindle! :-)

writtenwyrdd 10/13/2008 07:59:00 AM  

Glad you like the thing, but I'm not going to go there.