Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Power of a Wagging Tail

imageSorry I've been gone! I've been housesitting, and it takes a surprising amount of time to take care of two dogs. Now I'm home, though, and I feel rather depressed without them. Just on a selfish level, it's nice when someone acts like you're the best thing since Santa Claus every time you walk through the door, throw a toy across the room, or feed them dinner.

Plus they let me hug and pet them all I want.

I haven't been writing, but I've been editing. It's funny, going back and editing old stuff. As I go through all my old stuff, I can definitely see stages. The current novella I'm editing is what I consider my "pre-that" period.

In that I hadn't yet learned you don't need to put quite as many thats as I thought.

I'm feeling discombobulated. I don't do well without something akin to a schedule, despite the impossibility of sticking me on one. Little things keep ruining whole days. Like this morning, I had a dentist appointment. It takes an hour to get there, an hour there, and an hour home. Add in a forty minute lunch, and guess what?

imageNo time to really do anything before I have to teach, and then cook dinner, then an hour or two before bed. DH is still not over jet lag. He keeps falling asleep, which I'm Ms. Selfish for not understanding, but at the same time, I miss him! I want to spend time with him!

I've needed glasses forever. Same with new shoes. And, embarrassingly enough, I'm down to one pair of pants and two pair of presentable jeans. Pitiful, huh? The money is there. But exactly when am I supposed to find the time to shop for clothes? (If DH weren't home, I'd put it off for another couple months. He will drag me to the store, I'm sure, in the next couple days. I hate clothes shopping.)

I think I'm in a non-writing funk.

You know, even when you're not writing, stories swirl in the head. You can't shut them up. And they're so dissatisfying, like endless foreplay and never a climax. They just keep swirling and morphing and, frankly, driving me crazy.

So I'm just feeling too funky to come up with a blog post. I guess this is one, LOL. Are you sorry you read it, yet?

Do you get in a funk if you don't write? Can you explain that? I mean, geeze. And how much time do you spend cleaning every day? Every week? It's kinda insane. It really interrupts all the stuff I'd rather be doing. And it's tiring. And unfulfilling. And makes me whine. And miss blogging.

I haven't touched coffee in two weeks, either. I don't even like coffee, but I can't seem to get perky energy without it. *sigh*

Ya' know, this is pitiful as far as blog posts go, LOL. I will do better tomorrow. Let's talk about something more interesting.

What about you? Tell me what's up with you. That's more interesting.

And got any ideas for my blog this week? I've been sort of dry on things to talk about, it seems.

14 bonus scribbles:

Heather Harper 10/15/2008 06:27:00 PM  

I've got it. You tell me what you think I should write. It will engage your creative brain and force me not to use mine.

It's a win win. ;-)

spyscribbler 10/15/2008 06:29:00 PM  

ROFL, Heather! Maybe that's the problem. My creative brain is not engaging. It's getting flabby.

I really need to get back to writing, don't I?

Robin 10/15/2008 07:00:00 PM  

You sound like you're in writing withdrawal. Must...start...writing...again.

I had a 2 1/2 hour haircut today, and was not able to avoid the omnipak. My head is still as hot as a supernova. Maybe that could be your next novella? Something about a woman with a supernova head.

Edie 10/15/2008 07:44:00 PM  

Spy, I thing it's all the economy stuff that's getting us down. Then you throw in the political meanness that's going on in the campaigns. I didn't blog on my personal blog last week either. I've been too busy this week to write much, though I wanted to.

I don't have the cleaning problem you do. I'm guessing your house is much cleaner than mine. lol

spyscribbler 10/15/2008 07:47:00 PM  

LOL, Robin! You know, it's funny, that actually sounds like fun! What is the omnipak, btw? I remember you did a funny blog about it, but I didn't quite know what it was, LOL.

spyscribbler 10/15/2008 07:48:00 PM  

Hah! Edie, just as you posted that comment, I posted a blog on just that. :-) I feel worried and disoriented by it all. Ah well. Maybe I need to make my world smaller-focused for awhile.

Actually, um, my house was so messy that I've had to do all this cleaning since DH is home. *sigh* I'm betting your house is much cleaner than mine, LOL.

Eric Mayer,  10/15/2008 08:12:00 PM  

Ha! I'm not someone to ask for blog ideas. I'm barely blogging myself.

I will say that clothes shopping is a nightmare. I hate it. Ever try to find 28X32 jeans? Why not order online? You don't have to leave the house. Or are you so picky that you want your clothes to actually fit? :)

Melanie Avila 10/15/2008 10:53:00 PM  

Spy, I'm with Heather. I can't think of new ideas. I'm planning to do NaNo and I'm not feeling my idea. I'm more focused on editing right now but I need to have a solid idea in two weeks.

My funks come when I go too long without leaving the house. Fortunately I have plans the next two days (first time in two weeks) so maybe that'll boost me a little.

Oh, and I want a dog. :(

spyscribbler 10/15/2008 10:56:00 PM  

But Eric, I LOVED your last blog. I so needed a laugh. Thank you!

I'm picky about fit, because I have only one concern about my clothes: they must be comfortable. I don't do uncomfortable clothes.

There--

That's the real reason I'm self-employed. :-)

spyscribbler 10/15/2008 10:59:00 PM  

Melanie, I get that funk. Hey, I wanted to do Nano, and here I am halfway through October and I've got a project straggling on.

I want NaNo for a NY-possible project.

Except I have NO idea. Not even genre. Nothing. Nada.

I guess we'll see. Maybe we can hold hands and jump off the cliff with our eyes squeezed shut and hope we land on a fluffy mattress with words bouncing all around us.

Okay. Now that's an official slap-happy-I-need-to-go-to-sleep comment.

Melanie Avila 10/15/2008 11:34:00 PM  

That's an image I can work with. :)

*grabs Spy's hand*

Robin 10/16/2008 07:57:00 AM  

Spy, an omnipak is a nourishing hair treatment that gets smooshed in your hair, then covered with a plastic bag, and then you sit under the dryer until your head explodes, or you faint.

I'm having second thoughts about doing the NaNo. Oh, dear.

Melanie Avila 10/16/2008 10:14:00 AM  

Robin, what would the omnipak do? NaNo... no NaNo? Give in to the force of the omnipak...

StarvingWriteNow 10/17/2008 06:52:00 AM  

Yes--talk about the new igoogle home page update that google did without even telling anyone, which for some reason as soon as I open my gmail, my home button automatically defaults to my inbox instead of my home page until I sign out and sign back in again... ARRRGGHH!!!!

I HATE the new thing!