Wednesday, October 01, 2008

A Real Writing Post

I've been a little wrapped up in politics, haven't I? Okay, well, today is a real writing post. I just want to ramble a little, and then I have some GREAT news!

image First, the self-indulgent rambling. I mean, this is a blog, after all, and you guys are so patient with me. I just have to say, I love writing. I love other writers. I love just talking with everyone in the business, I love what they do, what I do, the whole energy. I love all of it, just love it.

Isn't it strange?

It is to me. It's strange to me that it never goes away. I do dislike the organizations and their politics, but I love everything else. It never fades.

I think I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

But it never does. I keep loving it. No matter what I worry or stress about, it doesn't even make the slightest dent in the fact I love books, stories, and writing.

I never knew something could be like this.

A little sad news is you know my lovely office I made? Well, the basement is a little damp, and it seems to bring back the asthma problem I had with the mold that was in the house. Right now, I haven't had an actual attack, but when I sit down there, I can feel my lungs starting to feel all ticklish and fuzzy, and I'm practically panting just walking across the room, and even out of breath when I'm teaching.

So I've stopped working down there and I'm breathing normally again.

I'm really disappointed about that, because I love that room. So it's still my special place, but I'm only using it if I'm up early in the morning writing (like 4 or so) or way late. And only like once a week.

I can't explain how special it is to me, to have carved out a space that honors that part of me. Oh well. It gives me comfort, just knowing it's there.

image

Now the GREAT news:

image Melanie Avila's aunt, Karen Dionne, is having an online release party! This is a REALLY cool launch party for her book, Freezing Point. Here is the press release:

In a YouTube world, it’s becoming ever more difficult for authors to grab and hold readers’ attention. To a Web 2.0 generation accustomed to tag clouds, wikis and widgets, authors’ static text-and-images-only websites are as outdated as Fred Flintstone’s writing tablets.

“Authors naturally think in terms of words,” says Karen Dionne, whose debut thriller Freezing Point about an environmental disaster in Antarctica releases October 2 from Berkley. “But on the Internet, we’re not limited to text. Today’s Internet is very visual, very interactive.”

Savvy authors are taking a page from the digital age and posting book trailers to their websites. Dionne is going them one better. With help from renowned thriller authors David Morrell, Lee Child, James Rollins, Gayle Lynds, Douglas Preston, and John Lescroart, Dionne is throwing an online book launch party where family, friends, and fans can mingle and win prizes – and catch the buzz about her new novel in the process.

As co-founder of Backspace, an Internet-based writers organization with hundreds of members in a dozen countries, Dionne knew only a handful of friends would be able to attend her book launch no matter where it was held. So she set out to recreate the traditional launch party experience on the Web.

Entertainment for the October 1 - 3 event includes video welcomes from bestselling thriller authors, a reading by a professional voice actress who’s also a New York Times author, standup comedy from one of her author friends – even testimony from a medical doctor regarding the science behind the story’s premise. There are door prizes: a boxed set of the BBC’s “Planet Earth” series on DVD, bottles of genuine iceberg water, and Penguin Gear from her publisher. And because a book launch party wouldn’t be complete without, well, books, two independent booksellers are making signed copies available.

“Writers shouldn’t be afraid of the Internet,” says Dionne. “We’re creative people. We can figure out how to use the Internet to spread the word about our books in new and exciting ways.”

Compared to a real-world book launch, Dionne says her online party has definite advantages. “Where else but on the Internet could my mom hang out with Lee Child?” There’s no limit to the guest list, work schedules and time zones don’t even factor, and perhaps best of all, Dionne’s guests can attend wearing their pajamas.

Visit Karen Dionne’s book launch party at www.freezingpointlaunchparty.com.

11 bonus scribbles:

Eric Mayer,  10/01/2008 03:19:00 PM  

That is neat although since I'm on dial-up I'm kind of cut off from a lot of Internet stuff. And, the political stuff on the news is distracting and upsetting me something fierce. I know I should ignore it but I haven't been able to.

Melanie Avila 10/01/2008 03:21:00 PM  

Yay! Thanks for posting this. Karen sent me an email this morning that she already had 1000 unique visitors, and that was around 9am central time. Crazy! Now how do I check how the sales are going?

Edie 10/01/2008 04:51:00 PM  

Love the idea of an online launch party! I'll keep it in mind for when I sell.

That's too bad about your room. I remember how excited I was about getting a laptop, thinking I could write in any room. And then I found out it hurt my neck to write on it for more than 20 minutes at a time. Very disappointing. :(

Melanie Avila 10/01/2008 05:23:00 PM  

Gah, I was so focused on my interests I forgot to comment on the rest of the post. Spy, that sucks your room is making you sick. :( I know there's probably not a way to salvage it, but have you looked into buying a dehumidifier? It might help.

My online friends have become very important to me and I'm grateful for all the support and understanding form you and the rest of them.

spyscribbler 10/01/2008 06:23:00 PM  

Dial-up? Eric, dial-up? Did you say DIAL-UP? Ohmigawd, Eric, you absolutely MUST get fast internet! There's a whole world out there!

I'm way distracted, too. I think this situation is serious. I was just telling Erica that in my very small immediate world, I know of 1,300 job layoffs at several local companies, just because of last week.

And that's even if the stock market recovers. So I don't think this is over. I think in the coming six months, the ramifications are going to become more clear to those on "main street."

Then there's the election! What a month!

spyscribbler 10/01/2008 06:23:00 PM  

Oh, that's awesome, Melanie! Wow! I don't know how to check sales, though. *pout* Watch her rankings in Amazon?

I'm rooting for her, too!

spyscribbler 10/01/2008 06:24:00 PM  

Oh, Edie, I can relate! I really can! It's such a special thing, too, something that took forever to work up to, and then... bummer.

The launch party is awesome!

spyscribbler 10/01/2008 06:27:00 PM  

LOL, Melanie. :-) Yeah, I've got a dehumidifier going. I don't know. They put plastic over the walls to seal the basement, and I think there's now mold behind the plastic stuff, because before, the walls were leaking.

Just a guess. I don't know. I'm still trying. I keep the window open and it's not so bad.

About online writing friends: ME TOO!!!!

Rick 10/01/2008 07:14:00 PM  

One of my best friends is a leading mold exposure expert. Yeah, I know. It says a lot for the type of people I hang out with, but you'd be surprised all the very cool ways there are to affect people with mold in suspense thrillers!

Anyway, I mentioned your problem to him and he deals with this stuff all the time. He said he was sure that something could be done, just a matter sending a sample kit, analyzing the types of little critters are there, getting a layout on your work area etc, and then telling you how to get rid of the problem.

No woman should have to give up a writing room because of invisible invaders!! I'll be talking to him tomorrow and will get back to you by separate email.

spyscribbler 10/02/2008 01:24:00 AM  

Rick, you are so sweet! That's amazing! The only problem is I rent, so I'm not sure I get much say. And I know they won't do anything else on the basement.

When there was mold in a wall, they acted like they were doing me a huge favor in taking it out.

But if there's something I can do that's not all that expensive, I am THERE! That would be AMAZING!

It also could be lingering mold from the old floods. I probably need to get bleach out, or something, and scrub under the stairs and make sure there's no moldy boxes or something causing it, too.

I don't know. :-)

Thank you, Rick! That was amazing of you.

Rhonda Stapleton 10/02/2008 01:17:00 PM  

((hugs)) on the room--that sucks! I hope it can get fixed up right soon...you deserve it!!