Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Soaking Up the Bookstore. And The Plan.

Cool music (Mark's friend) and cool copy (Mark's doing!) at the MARVINs. Really cool guitar sounds. I'm easily impressed with the guitar, LOL: it's an instrument I have no experience with.

image The bookstore soothes my soul. I could close my eyes and lie in between the shelves, soaking up the bookstore, just like I used to lie in the grass, soaking up the sun.

Something different happened yesterday. It was one of those BIG SHIFTS that happen so quietly you almost don't realize them.

I got upset.

And I wrote.

Okay, that doesn't sound that dramatic, but every time I've been feeling, I pour it out on the piano. Yesterday was the first day I poured out words on a page.

Production at either the piano or the computer are largely worthless when feeling a lot of emotion, but it was an interesting shift. I have been known to write haiku when upset, but that involves a calm enough mind to count syllables and choose words, usually. This was just haphazard poetry, half-sentences, snippets, whatever. Characters and journaling mixed in.

An emotional mess.

Which brought me to my plan.

I promised not to agonize. I do that every time I try to write or come up for an idea for a NY-able novel. Okay, I'm going to break down now and then, but here's a good plan, I think:

2,000 words a day, in the morning, for writing projects that have a 70-100% of making money. This will alleviate any guilt I feel about writing for NaNo, which might not produce anything of value, let alone bring in any money.

1,500 words a day of self-indulgent crap for NaNo. Anything except E.E.E. (see last post for explanation.) Which means, at the end of November, I will have 50,000 words of Haiku, of "I can't think of what to write" over and over, or some gems of something I can use.

Or not.

But at least I'll know. You know? I'll have tried.

So if you're doing NaNo, what's your goal? And if you're not, what's your goal for November, anyway? And do you ever indulge in writing crap, purposefully? Ever write crappy, emotional poetry? (Or in your case, it might be great, heartfelt poetry!)

How do you soothe your soul?

19 bonus scribbles:

Anissa 10/22/2008 11:22:00 PM  

Hey! Thanks for coming to find me, I had lost myself.

I used to write poetry in high school. I would be scared to read it now.

As for what soothes my soul, good question. Writing, digging my hands in the dirt. I think I'm in need of some soul soothing.

I hope you kick NaNo booty!

Eric Mayer,  10/22/2008 11:50:00 PM  

Your witing day sounds like a whole week for me. Good luck with NaNo. I know a guy who did the NaNo thing in 2 1/2 days. Uh...no..I admit I didn't even offer to read it.

Edie 10/23/2008 09:40:00 AM  

OMG! I'm with Eric. I need to write more.

When I'm upset I like to lose myself in a book. Or call my sister.

Kath Calarco 10/23/2008 09:51:00 AM  

The only time I write with complete abandon is when stress hammers me from all sides. It keeps away thoughts of suicide and through all the babbling, gives me peace. (Is it any wonder Hemingway was a booze-hound?)

Christa M. Miller 10/23/2008 11:47:00 AM  

I listen to Miles Davis or something similar. Sometimes I write. Mostly I think up ideas and get them down later when I'm a little clearer of the emotion.

Something must be in the air, because I am dealing with something similar (tweeted that it felt like God had just spent 6 months playing a really cruel trick on me)... like you, it crept up on me, and now I don't know what to think. Hope we both find a better place soon!

Mark Terry 10/23/2008 12:30:00 PM  

Thanks for the link.

I confess, I can't get behind NaNo personally, but if it gets people to put words down, more power to them (I guess). I'm sort of skeptical about the value of giving yourself permission to write shit. I do think sometimes you have to turn off your internal editor and just write, particularly if your internal editor is a Type A obsessive-compulsive that won't otherwise allow you to actually get anything written because he/she thinks it's all crap.

Good luck with it.

Melanie Avila 10/23/2008 12:35:00 PM  

Journaling helps me when I'm having crap days, but I'm curious to try free form writing. If I call it poetry it'll never happen, but haiku's sound fun. I always end up writing perverted ones and who can stay down when you're writing dirty haikus?

spyscribbler 10/23/2008 02:05:00 PM  

Anissa, thank you for coming out of hiding! I was wondering where you disappeared to. :-) I'd be scared to read what I wrote yesterday, let alone high school, LOL!

spyscribbler 10/23/2008 02:07:00 PM  

Eric, wow. On a GREAT day, one of those RARE days where the writing flows and I write for 12 hours straight, I can put out 12,000 words.

But 50,000 in 2.5 days? How is that even possible??? Wow! What was his motivation to do that, LOL?

spyscribbler 10/23/2008 02:08:00 PM  

Seriously, Edie. I can't believe 50,000 words in 2.5 days?! I had a friend who did 10,000 a day like clockwork. That was amazing.

spyscribbler 10/23/2008 02:10:00 PM  

Kath, my writing grew addicted to caffeine for awhile. That was kinda scary, LOL! My teeth started turning color. I was appalled.

It did give me peace, though, definitely. A good way to put it.

spyscribbler 10/23/2008 02:12:00 PM  

Christa, yes, I hope it gets better, whatever it is. Life is strange, sometimes.

Nothing I write during the emotion-vomiting is useful, LOL.

spyscribbler 10/23/2008 02:19:00 PM  

Mark, because of being paid per word from the get-go, I sort of "grew up" with the idea I should never waste a word, that it was wasting money.

So writing without promise of pay is a bit scary for me, not to mention guilt-inducing.

And many people don't write crap for NaNo. It's just my personal way I'm using NaNo.

spyscribbler 10/23/2008 02:20:00 PM  

HAH! You're kidding! Melanie, that cracks me up. Dirty haikus. I have to try that next time!

Rick 10/23/2008 07:10:00 PM  

Wait a minute. Is that your bed in the picture surrounded by books?? Damn, that's inspiring! That would be soothing all by itself.

Robin 10/23/2008 07:20:00 PM  

I read or watch silly TV to distract myself if I'm upset. Then I usually talk it over with a friend. I have a couple of close friends that walk in the park with me, and they are very therapeutic, in a "rag on you and make you laugh at the situation" kind of way.

I've never done the NaNo thing before, but once, years ago I took time off between moves and wrote. I did the same sort of thing - just put words down, and it was an OK first novel. So that's what I'm hoping for. An OK second novel. I'm usually strictly a non fiction kind of girl.

spyscribbler 10/24/2008 08:27:00 AM  

Oh, Rick, I WISH! That would be a dream! I've always wanted a library. :-)

spyscribbler 10/24/2008 08:29:00 AM  

Robin, that sounds like fun! I can't even get DH to go to the park with me, and he's promised for seven years!

Good luck with your NaNo! Are we buddies yet? I must figure out how to find you.

Robin 10/24/2008 09:02:00 AM  

We're buddies, dude!