Monday, October 27, 2008

Talk About A Closing Argument

Wow, if I were 100% going to vote for McCain, this speech would have convinced me to at least consider voting for Obama. I have said before: if you're going to vote for McCain, I respect that. I understand these are scary, tough times, and you truly have to follow what you think will be best for this country.

Last weekend, I had a conversation with someone else who was trying very hard not to burst into tears, with their own personal struggles with the economy.

It's hard, and it's embarrassing, but there's no shame in struggling, none at all.

It breaks my heart.

It's easy to say why worry about the middle class when there are others who are homeless? It's easy to say why worry about harming animals when people are starving?

But I think we each have our own different callings, different things that touch our compassion button deeper than others. Things that only we were meant to do.

Anyway, no matter who you're voting for, I ask only that you watch this video, Obama's "closing argument" speech in Canton, Ohio. What could you lose? And I'll even trade you: send me a link of a video for McCain, and I promise to watch it with an open mind. You can even leave it anonymously, if you want.

I'm not normally one to believe campaign promises, not normally one to get choked up by speeches, but if he can achieve only 10% of his aims and plans, then I have hope for the future of our country.

The second video is the best (I'm a little embarrassed to admit it moved me to tears), so if you're not inclined to spend too much time, skip to that one first.

15 bonus scribbles:

Eric Mayer,  10/27/2008 10:04:00 PM  

And it seems like all McCain can do is try to scare people more. If you listened to people like him you'd be convinced that we're not even allowed to hope anymore. You know -- grownups don't hope. Only children, and immature liberals hope. Real Americans don't hope. And, it's true if the Republicans keep getting their way there's no hope for anyone who isn't a millionaire.

Oops...

This is Eric Mayer and I approve this ad. (Not that anyone give as s**t)

Stephen Parrish 10/28/2008 01:57:00 AM  

Isn't it wonderful to actually be excited by a presidential candidate? When's the last time that happened?

spyscribbler 10/28/2008 10:04:00 AM  

Eric, it's the truth. I keep watching videos of Palin and McCain rallies and it's scary. That's negative leadership. It will get him votes, but it's not good for the country.

Those aren't the priorities I want my President to have.

PS: Love what you say about hope.

spyscribbler 10/28/2008 10:05:00 AM  

Stephen, it is! I was pretty excited about Al Gore, but I haven't been this excited about a candidate since Robert Kennedy. And I wasn't even born when Robert Kennedy ran.

Zoe Winters 10/28/2008 10:44:00 AM  

I can't really get excited about either one of them. I truly believe Obama doesn't have enough experience. I also believe Biden would pull the puppet strings behind the scenes and I don't trust Biden. And I can't get excited about McCain either. So I'm not voting.

Robin 10/28/2008 11:11:00 AM  

I've been an Obama Mama from the beginning. I'm a sucker for brilliant, articulate men. What can I say?

Melanie Avila 10/28/2008 11:12:00 AM  

Eric and Stephen - well said! Spy, I also had a few tears by the end there. I have so much hope for this country right now and I know this will be the longest week ever. I cannot WAIT for next Tuesday.

Zoe, I'm so disappointed you aren't voting.

Edie 10/28/2008 11:23:00 AM  

I approve Eric Mayer's ad too.

Eric, I give a s**t!

Billy 10/28/2008 03:13:00 PM  

After feeling like I was living through the McCarthy years, I thought Obama was brilliant, returning to his original theme. I was beginning to think that he had been scared away from his original message of hope and change. And btw, what's so bad about those messages to begin with. Ugly campaign season. I've pessemestic about the future lately--living near New Orleans doesn't help--but this man genuinely gave me hope. A feeling of "why not try."

www.publexicon.com
chapter & verse

spyscribbler 10/28/2008 09:18:00 PM  

Zoe, it's tough when you like neither of the candidates. I suppose the only thing to do is find the issues most important to you, and research/compare the candidates records on those issues.

As they say, though, no vote is a vote, too. Just make sure you like who your no-vote is helping!

spyscribbler 10/28/2008 09:19:00 PM  

LOL, Robin, I don't blame you! I was a Hilary Clinton supporter, particularly because of her health care plan, but I am a convert. :-)

spyscribbler 10/28/2008 09:25:00 PM  

Me, either, Melanie! But did you see the polls today? Gosh, I am so scared. I really wanted Gore to be president, but I have never been so passionate about a candidate before, as I am about Obama.

spyscribbler 10/28/2008 09:28:00 PM  

Billy, I had a "falling out" with Obama, too. I'm glad he got back on track.

And so true. Hope is cool. Fear is not. I want a leader who inspires the former, not the latter.

Zoe Winters 10/29/2008 02:37:00 PM  

Hey Melanie, I'm sorry you're disappointed. I just feel that my voice is never heard. I'm Libertarian. I can't even hope to have my state go with the Libertarian candidate, EVER. Until we get away from the electoral college, my votes don't count. And I'm done voting for the lesser evil. I don't like Dems or Repubs.