Friday, October 24, 2008

Who is your Perfect Lover?

image So have you seen The Mentalist? You can catch all the episodes you've missed at its website. It totally rocks. He's an ex-psychic who doesn't believe in psychics. He just has an amazing eye for detail and body language, and the way the human mind works. It is SO cool.

I am SO IN LOVE with Simon Baker's character. I mean, I think I have a crush on him as big as my crush on Ranger.

And you all know that's saying something!

He listens. He really listens. We all know that's supremely sexy. And he's so good, it's almost as if he can read minds. That's sort of sexy, too. He's got an incorrigible side, but he also makes whoever he's talking to feel like they are the center of the universe.

Nothing, in my mind, makes an alpha hero yummier than the ability to listen like you're the most important thing in the world, understand you almost like he can read your mind, and make you feel like you are the most interesting person on Earth.

Another important component to the perfect alpha hero is the self-control to never react, but to always act the way you most need and say the thing you most need to hear.

Tall order. Yeah, it's fantasy, it's romance. Does it set impossible standards? Does falling in love with such sexy ideals set us up for disappointment with reality?

I don't know.

I love my real-life DH, real and alive with me. I wouldn't trade him for the world. But I enjoy my fantasy men. Is that silly?

What do you think? And if you had to create a perfect lover, what things would be at the top of the list?

20 bonus scribbles:

Zoe Winters 10/24/2008 01:37:00 PM  

Is it too cheesy to say I already have him? He's not 'perfect' in the empirical sense, but he's perfect "for me."

Erica Orloff 10/24/2008 01:43:00 PM  

LOVE that show for pure escapism (only saw one episode at my mom's, I think). And he is beyond adorable!!! He's an Aussie in real life. I wish they'd let him use his real accent.

Hmmm . . . I don't feel fantasies set me up for anything. I think I'm too practical, first off, and have been too often hugely disappointed in all or most of my opposite-sex relationships that . . . I don't know, I guess I see human beings for what they are and fantasy for what it is.

What would I look for? I think someone with the intelligence of Jeffrey Sachs . . . maybe more of an activist, like the Clive Owen character in Beyond Borders. If he could sing like John Legend . . . and rock out like Springsteen . . . um, that would do it. Or . . . oh, if he could LOOK like Daniel Craig, please.

spyscribbler 10/24/2008 01:45:00 PM  

Awww, Zoe, not at all! Mine would be quite a bit more perfect if he were HERE ALL THE TIME!

spyscribbler 10/24/2008 01:49:00 PM  

Oh, Erica, I loved Beyond Borders! Except it made me cry like crazy. Even after the tenth time watching it, LOL. Clive Owen is pretty yummy himself.

But I love a Boston Irish Catholic accent. Can't help it. I die listening to Matt Damon narrate that poker movie he was in.

I find fantasies do make me lonely, when DH is gone. When he's here, not at all. But sometimes I feel lonely for my characters!

StarvingWriteNow 10/24/2008 03:03:00 PM  

simon baker is smoking hot!! love him!!

Robyn 10/24/2008 04:46:00 PM  

I think this show is great. I've liked Simon Baker since he did that lawyer show a few years back.

Kath Calarco 10/24/2008 05:08:00 PM  

Top of the "Perfect Lover" qualification list: He better love mood swings, not mind random blathering, give me my space, read my mind... This sounds perfect, no wonder it's a fantasy. :)

Robin 10/24/2008 06:57:00 PM  

Spy, you're killing me. I'm downloading season 3 of "The Unit" onto my ipod as we speak. Are you saying there's another show I have to watch? Aargh!!!!! (Only kidding. I was at the end of the Unit, and wondering what to do next. Thanks!)

I'm pretty happy with the dumb ol' man I have, but if I could improve him, I would definitely give him better listening skills. But does that mean I'd have to listen to him, too?

Susan Helene Gottfried 10/24/2008 08:39:00 PM  

Smart people are sexy. I haven't watched The Mentalist yet, but I'd like to (gotta remember to set the new TiVo which might make way for a newer TiVo -- don't ask. I'm frustrated.)

And yes, we need our fantasy men. We wouldn't be human without them.

Edie 10/24/2008 08:42:00 PM  

I love the way he looks too. That smile. Yum. I'd love to hear his Aussie accent too. But if he could speak like Gerard Butler, that would be even better. I like what you said about "listening" when you speak. I give my own husband a C on listening. And the perfect man would vote Democrat, like to laugh, be intelligent and a great cook.

spyscribbler 10/25/2008 11:25:00 AM  

Totally, Writenow! Oh, gosh, totally. I think if he looked at me with those twinkling eyes, I'd orgasm on the spot. :-)

spyscribbler 10/25/2008 11:25:00 AM  

I've never heard of him until now, Robyn. I'll have to check out that show!

spyscribbler 10/25/2008 11:26:00 AM  

Oh, Kath, I forgot those Very Important Things. Not mind mood swings is at the top of the list! Not reacting to them, and instead, indulging me. Yum!

spyscribbler 10/25/2008 11:27:00 AM  

Robin, definitely not! The Perfect Lover is all about YOU. No need to worry about him, LOL! Okay, just kidding. Half the joy and all.

But you can make him so he only says stuff so fascinating you want to listen to him!

spyscribbler 10/25/2008 11:28:00 AM  

Susan, the Mentalist might even beat Ranger. He is something, and it's a fabulous show. Interesting.

spyscribbler 10/25/2008 11:30:00 AM  

Edie: Gerard Butler... yum! I love that voice. I think, second to Boston Irish Catholic would be French. And then... either German or Australian.

My man gets a C on conversational skills. An F on voting!!!

Good thing he's got other qualities!

Dube 10/26/2008 07:04:00 PM  

Never seen this show, but after your glowing recommendation, I'll have to check it out!

Angie 11/18/2008 02:24:00 PM  

I'm catching up on 1100+ blog posts that piled up while I was cruising, and then while I procrastinated on catching up [duck] but I had to pop in and say that The Mentalist rocks truckloads of socks, and yes, Simon Baker is hot. Or maybe just his character, but either way, that's another awesome show. And it's been picked up for more episodes, woot! :D

Angie

spyscribbler 11/18/2008 05:47:00 PM  

*cringe* They weren't sure? Angie, I woulda been heartbroken! I hate when they only give something a few episodes to fall in love with.

So glad to hear the good news! I love that show!

Angie 11/18/2008 05:49:00 PM  

New shows only ever get a few episodes at first. I think they'd originally ordered... twelve? [ponder] I don't remember. But they picked up another batch because it's been doing wonderfully in the ratings. :D

They cancelled a couple of shows I liked last year -- The Dresden Files and Blood Ties [sigh] -- but this makes up for it a bit. [beam]

Angie