Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Whole New World!

Ohmigosh, it's 7:30 at night and it's my first moment on the internet. I feel shaky, nervous, so deprived! We've been out shopping--shopping!--and I got new shoes (badly needed), an eye exam, new contacts, and new glasses.

I don't know what else, but a bunch of stupid details that don't matter took from 10am until 7:30pm. Sheesh.

Long story short, I haven't worn contacts in six months. I don't have a pair of glasses. (Well, now I do.) This isn't as bad as it sounds: one eye is as badly near-sighted as the other eye is far-sighted. They balance out. The eye doctor said that was very odd, but that they sometimes make people's prescriptions like that on purpose instead of using bifocals.

I'm naturally odd. I kind of like that.

So after six months, I was completely unprepared for a world of clarity. Oh my god! It's amazing. Everything has edges. Clean, clear edges. The clouds have wispy fine edges, the trees are just chock full of green, crispy depth, and the mall had this mosaic of tile that was fascinating.

And the people! I swear, I was this close to grabbing strangers in the mall by their cheeks and checking out every last line, pore, and pimple on their face. Indescribable!

The world looks so cool right now, I'd suggest anybody who wears glasses to go without for a few weeks, just so they can re-appreciate how cool the world looks.

I mean, I could see Every Blade of Grass! I even saw a spider web before I ran into it! Wow, so pretty!

And then I went home.

OH MY GOD I NEED TO CLEAN.

OH MY GOD I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY NEED TO CLEAN.

So that was my day. Since DH is home, he's been taking me everywhere for all the little errand and details stuff I let slide when I'm home alone. He hasn't yet noticed I only have three pairs of pants, one of which is way too big. (The other too small, but let's not go there.) I'm not mentioning it because I hate shopping.

All this errand-running drives me crazy. The details of life take FOREVER. It's a full-time job! I usually skip them, which is a large part of the reason I haven't gotten around to getting new glasses or new shoes or new pants in six months. Just keeping up with the dentist has been a third (fourth?) job.

I am glad to be able to see, though.

Let's bring this around to writing, just so I feel productive. How do you see the world in a whole new way? How do you shift your perception, so everything the same looks entirely different? Or when have you?

Hey, it's almost Sunday. How's the WIP going? The writing? The reading? What are you guys reading right now?

23 bonus scribbles:

Amy Nathan 10/18/2008 08:38:00 PM  

I'm reading...YOUR BLOG! I've been a writing waste all weekend.

I'm glad you can see clearly now. Ooh, sound like it could be a song! ;)

Rick 10/19/2008 02:07:00 AM  

Congrats on the contacts! Next stop, X-ray vision.

I'm working on a short story that I've come to regard as an enemy of the state (my state of mind, that is). It's one of those that won't get out of my head. All the ideas are right; a lot of the language and phrasing is right, too, but the damn characters just won't pitch in and help the plot along!

Stephen Parrish 10/19/2008 02:40:00 AM  

When I first got glasses I was shocked to discover how many stars were in the sky.

Robin 10/19/2008 08:45:00 AM  

I am laughing reading your reaction to seeing the world clearly (and Stephen's). I must be the most sarcastic little pessimist on earth!

My vision is mildly off, about 20/40, and I got glasses for the first time years ago. Suddenly I could see imperfections really clearly - that zit on Adam's nose, the dirt on the kitchen counter. I took them off, and still only wear glasses to drive and see movies.

I like the world a little blurry.

Edie 10/19/2008 10:26:00 AM  

LOL Spy, you should write humor. I used to have one brand of jeans all the time. I could buy the size and know they'd fit. Now that I'm writing at home in my comfy elastic waisted pants, I don't wear out my jeans anymore. It's been years since I bought a pair and I doubt if the old brand would fit anymore. Darn it. I don't like shopping either.

Leigh Russell 10/19/2008 11:05:00 AM  

This was so exciting, until you reached home... I read a book once about a woman who'd lost her sight completely as a child and regained it after an op in her thirties. Your experience reminds me of her writing. It was an amazing book.

I don't believe you've commented on the latest post on my blog. Check it out when you have a moement. Exciting developments!

Zoe Winters 10/19/2008 11:50:00 AM  

hahahaha, you know you are so manic lol. ;) Like a puppy.

congrats ont he sharp edges. I probably need a prescription shift soon. urgh.

Melanie Avila 10/19/2008 12:32:00 PM  

Spy, I know just what you mean! I had an eye infection when I first moved here and couldn't wear my contacts. Then I stopped wearing my glasses (I'm nearsighted - I can see close up) because, as Ibis said, "there's nothing good to see anyways." I went over a year like that I now I'm wearing my contacts and cannot believe how pretty everything is! The trees are sharp and I can see details on the houses up on the mountain behind our house. Crazy!

My editing is going well but I'm starting to stress that I STILL don't have an idea for my NaNo novel. I don't think I like the thing I posted a week or so ago and now I'm stressing that I don't have anything, which is only making it worse. Ugh.

Melanie Avila 10/19/2008 03:34:00 PM  

I had to post again because I came up with my idea for NaNo! Yay! I wish it were Nov 1st NOW!

Loreth Anne White 10/19/2008 04:43:00 PM  

Now this is why I don't like wearing my glasses when I look in the mirror. Fuzziness does have it's merits, in certain circumstances :-/

spyscribbler 10/19/2008 06:50:00 PM  

LOL, Amy! I'm not sure whether to be flattered or worried about your taste. ;-) (Just kidding!)

I can hear that song in my head!

spyscribbler 10/19/2008 06:52:00 PM  

Now that would be cool, Rick! An enemy of the state, huh? I've had some of those! I hear you about the characters. I hate when that happens! I usually call that "manual" writing. Which probably makes sense only to me.

spyscribbler 10/19/2008 06:53:00 PM  

Ooooh, Stephen, I have to go outside tonight! It's been awhile I've looked at the stars. I've stared at the moon, but not the individual stars. I like how when you stare for awhile, you can see a ton more. :-)

spyscribbler 10/19/2008 06:54:00 PM  

Robin, ohmigosh, I looked in the mirror, and was not happy! Not to mention all the dirt in my house. Ugh! Some things are just better blurry.

spyscribbler 10/19/2008 06:56:00 PM  

Edie, I love comfy clothes. I have this perfect, dream pair of comfy pants that if I could, I'd buy five pair.

And I've been told that about humor several times. It only comes out in emails and blogs, though. I've tried, believe me!

spyscribbler 10/19/2008 07:04:00 PM  

Leigh, that's not true! I read every post you post! I'm eagerly awaiting your release, and am enjoying every step along the way. :-)

That books sounds amazing! I must find it, now. :-)

spyscribbler 10/19/2008 07:05:00 PM  

Zoe, I really am grateful. My posture has even improved tremendously, since I can see the screen!

Me? A puppy?? LOL! What's funny, is I've been housesitting this dog, and I keep calling him my role model because of his enthusiasm for life. :-)

spyscribbler 10/19/2008 07:08:00 PM  

Melanie, I know exactly! It's funny how, after you go without seeing, the world just looks amazing. I felt like I was "drinking in" sight, it was so amazing.

Oh, man, really? I'm thrilled you got your idea, but I'm a little bummed because I'm left alone in no-idea land. It's a terrifying place!

spyscribbler 10/19/2008 07:09:00 PM  

Loreth, you're lucky you're not me, then! Since I'm near-sighted in one and far-sighted in the other, when people look at my eyes, one of my lenses makes my eye look bigger, and the other lens makes my eye look smaller! I hate it!

Melanie Avila 10/19/2008 07:14:00 PM  

Spy, my husband has gotten so used to me saying either "I don't have my contacts in" meaning he has to help me see things, or "wow! everything is so beautiful!" I'm sure each are equally annoying.

I picked up a non-fiction book I've been reading called Telling True Stories (it's on my fb page) and started writing down whatever wacky idea popped into my head. The one I finally settled on is based on a news article from a couple weeks ago, and I'm twisting the outcome to tie in something ELSE I've been wanting to do. I feel so relieved... I'm sure something will come to you soon.

Angie 10/20/2008 12:06:00 AM  

ROFL! I remember when I got my glasses. :D It's amazing how clear everything is, how many details there are that you never knew existed! :D

Angie

spyscribbler 10/20/2008 03:12:00 PM  

Melanie, that books sounds like a goldmine! I need a couple of hours just to wander Borders and get inspired. :-)

PS: My students are so tired of me saying "I don't have my glasses on," LOL, as I hit a million wrong notes!

spyscribbler 10/20/2008 03:13:00 PM  

That's it, Angie! When I'm in a period with no glasses, I forget what I'm missing. Those details, though, are spectacular!