Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Ever Been to a Strip Show?

This is the week for guest blogging here! Karen E. Olson took time away from her post-election celebration to tell us about her new book, Shot Girl.

image In my first three books, I had a theme going.  I had cows in the first book, chickens in the second, and bees in the third.  My editor, however, in her infinite wisdom, said that perhaps I don’t want to be considered the farm animal author.  She said I should ditch the critters.

But in SHOT GIRL, my fourth Annie Seymour mystery, I’ve got a different kind of “critter.”  I have a male stripper named Jack Hammer.  He was actually only going to be a bit player, but he turned into something much more as I was writing and now plays quite a big role in the book.

Jack was born after I was invited to a bachelorette party.  A colleague was getting married, and a friend of hers, who also used to work at the newspaper with us, invited all the women at work to the party.  It just so happened to be at a bar where there was a male strip show featured that
night.

I had never been to a male strip show before.  It was never exactly something on my must-do in my lifetime list.  But I did consider that at some point I might want to send Annie to a male strip show. I love putting her in uncomfortable situations and seeing how she reacts.

image She reacts about the same way I did: intrigued yet uncomfortable.  Of course I didn’t have a corpse added to my adventure, the way she did. Now, I love the movie “The Full Monty” and find it hilarious.  But this was not “The Full Monty.”  It was way too graphic and over the top for me, although I was definitely in the minority.  I was also not drunk enough. Perhaps if I’d had one more martini I might have seen a bit more in the “performance” than I did.

The bride-to-be had a great time, and so did the other women I was with, except my friend Mary whom I’d driven over with.  When one of the strippers sat on Mary’s lap and gyrated, she twisted her head around to me and said, “We’re outta here.”

It was an interesting evening, and I got a lot of fodder for the book, but I don’t think I’ll be heading to another male strip show anytime soon. Unless, of course, it’s in a movie.

Have you been to a male strip show, and if so, did you have a better experience than I did?

Thanks, Karen! You can visit Karen E. Olson at her website, and enjoy her posts at the group blog, First Offenders. Buy Shot Girl here!

21 bonus scribbles:

Melanie Avila 11/06/2008 12:08:00 AM  

Karen, I had a similar experience. A friend who got married a couple months before me had a stripped at her party and I was SO uncomfortable! I'm not normally prudish and have as much fun as the next girl, but the fact that I was engaged made the whole thing seem dirty. My friend had a blast but I was mortified when it was my turn for the lap dance. The good news was the bride that night was in charge of my bachelorette party so I made very clear I didn't want that!

I've also been to a club and I liked that better b/c you only get attention if you want it. ;)

spyscribbler 11/06/2008 02:24:00 AM  

The human body is beautiful, both men and women, but I'd rather look at in an art or performance art setting, LOL.

I guess I'm a prude, LOL. I don't know. We went to Hooters and I HATED it. Felt horribly uncomfortable.

lainey bancroft 11/06/2008 09:29:00 AM  

Jack Hammer...love it!

Nope. Never been to a male strip show.

And I'm with you Spy. Didn't care for Hooters at ALL. I was like, "How can you people eat chicken when there's breasts and thighs everywhere you look in here??????"

Edie 11/06/2008 09:33:00 AM  

Years ago I was at a bar that featured a Chippendales type act. It was okay to watch, but I would honestly have had more fun dancing to a great band. None of these guys lap danced and I'm glad about that. :)

Karen Olson 11/06/2008 10:00:00 AM  

I did feel like a prude, but it really was embarrassing. I was glad I wasn't the bride-to-be!

Never been to a Hooters. When I go out to eat, I go out to EAT. I find those costumes they wear incredibly demeaning. And they probably still get paid crap.

Robin 11/06/2008 10:32:00 AM  

Karen, your book sounds awesome! But I feel like I should start with the "animal" books first. Yet another of life's dilemmas....

I'm with you guys and the male strippers. My friends hired a male stripper for my 40th birthday, and in all the pictures I look so horrified that it's funny.

Karen Olson 11/06/2008 10:54:00 AM  

Robin, you don't have to read my books in order unless you're compelled to. The bad news is, Sacred Cows and Secondhand Smoke are out of print now, but you can get them at the library or through eBay or something like that if you must own them.

Travis Erwin 11/06/2008 10:58:00 AM  

I have never attended a male strip show, but seeing to how my finances are low right now I am available to perform nights and weekends for extra cash.

Chuckendales here I come!

John 11/06/2008 11:09:00 AM  

Can't say that I have...or ever will! (Not exactly my cup of tea, if you catch my drift.) And I think I'd be horrified if Chelsey decided to go! ;-)

WendyCinNYC 11/06/2008 01:57:00 PM  

I have, and I was the bride. Thank God I was already drunk by that time.

Aaaand I spent one Spring Break sharing a room with 10 other college kids--two of whom were strippers! Yikes! I could tell you stories about what they did, but I'll keep it PG-rated here.

THAT was interesting.

Melanie Avila 11/06/2008 02:36:00 PM  

Wendy, lol! I bet that was ... fun! ;)

Virginia Lady 11/06/2008 05:02:00 PM  

When I was young I never did the bar thing since I worked evenings and couldn't handle the smoke that went with the locations, so I've never experienced a male strip show. I am intrigued by the idea. More so perhaps because I am a writer. Research and all that. :-)

Of course, I have no idea where I'd find one. Not sure they even exist within 100 miles of my locale. Maybe if I ever get to Vegas. I bet there are male strip bars there.

Robin 11/06/2008 10:04:00 PM  

Karen, I think it means you've really made it when they sell your books on e bay. I'm there.

Zoe Winters 11/07/2008 09:58:00 AM  

haha no I've never been, but this reminds me that I want to write a novel featuring a female stripper.

Karen Olson 11/07/2008 10:15:00 AM  

Zoe, I think female strippers are different. And not in the obvious, physical ways :)

Stewart Sternberg 11/07/2008 08:08:00 PM  

Okay, I've never been to a male strip club. BUT when I was younger, a male room mate and I actually drove to one because we figured "What a great place to pick up women!!!" They wouldn't even let us in the door. And the action in the parking lot just seemed seemy,

Stewart Sternberg 11/07/2008 08:11:00 PM  

zoe, if you want to background on female strippers, lemme know. At one point I must have known half the strippers and prostitutes in Detroit. Not as a customer, but because I was did groupwork with several teens who became dancers and hookers, and maintained contact with them while they were on the street and in the clubs. I also worked with a local group to do outreach to the street people, including the hookers and homeless and other denizens of Detroit's street scene.

spyscribbler 11/07/2008 09:33:00 PM  

LOL, Karen, I was curious what you meant by that, too!

Zoe Winters 11/08/2008 09:56:00 AM  

Hey Stewart, this is more based on a stripper I knew once who absolutely didn't fit the stereotype. She wasn't saving to become a lawyer or a doctor or go to nursing school. She wasn't on drugs. She wasn't a hooker. She did it because... wait for it... She got off on it. Period. End of story. She liked dancing and she liked the money. But she had a healthy, normal self esteem, and wasn't any of the goofy stereotypes.

People assume a female stripper could not possibly have a healthy self esteem, but I think that is our society's hangup with female sexuality.

Blogger 12/20/2016 05:47:00 PM  

I've just downloaded iStripper, so I can watch the best virtual strippers on my desktop.