Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Playing with Contrasts

First, guess what?! Zoe is a finalist in the Better Sex Erotic Fiction Contest! Please go and vote for her!

Can you tell I'm on a roll? My posts about writing dramatically increase the more I write. I love story. I love the way it's put together, the way all those threads and characters and plots weave together. It fascinates me; it's like the most beautiful fugue.

One of the things I love about my current WIP is that it's in first person, and she is a drastically different person, inside, from who people think she is. She appears haughty and arrogant, too good to talk to people, but really she has no idea how to interact with people, is quite humble, and assumes everything is a fault of hers.

(I love this character.)

But she must remain completely unconscious of this dichotomy, so I can't tell the audience. It's forcing me to show, in every conversation and interaction, people's reaction to her demeanor, while making sure my character doesn't look too stupid to live, LOL.

I have no idea if I'm succeeding or not, or if I'm starting to be annoying by rubbing her character into the reader's face at every possible turn.

Then again, I think every choice, every thought, every word must show consistent character, and must show a character.

What do you think?

And guess what? I finally am done with the whole root canal ordeal, after five months! (Well, ten months since I first needed one.) I'm so excited to be able to chew with both sides of my mouth!

Time for me to write. How's the writing going for you? What genre are you guys writing in? I know that about a lot of you guys, but not everyone. I'm writing a fantasy right now.

28 bonus scribbles:

Melanie Avila 11/18/2008 06:50:00 PM  

I love when you get on a writing roll! I think if you have two very different aspects of a person's character, you have to emphasize the difference. I have a character in The Other Side who is very intelligent but has to play dumb to protect himself. I never explain the reasons why he dumbs down his speech, but I hope it's clear to the reader.

I don't know my genres. Why am I so bad at figuring this out? lol.

Melanie Avila 11/18/2008 06:52:00 PM  

I knew I was forgetting something - YAY for your teeth!

Edie 11/18/2008 08:00:00 PM  

I can feel your happiness with your wip. Or maybe your happy about your teeth. That will do it too!

I love it when characters have some kind of a dichotomy. That's the best kind of dialogue, too, when it's different from the character's introspection.

Zoe Winters 11/18/2008 08:53:00 PM  

Hey Spy, thanks for the shout out! This is just round two though. If I win my "week" against the other two I'm against this week, I'll go on to the semi-finals, then voting for finals would happen in February. But I have to get through this round first!

*fingers crossed*

Though if I get through this round, I'll go to the semi-finals, and get in the print anthology, and get $100.

Stewart Sternberg 11/18/2008 09:02:00 PM  

Really? A fantasy? What elements? Me? I'm writing a zombie novel. Hopefully with the subtexts it will distinguish itself from the other zombie novels out there. What a strange sentence I just wrote.

Michelle 11/18/2008 09:15:00 PM  

I love your description of the fugue state!

I'm writing an historical novel at the moment. I alternate historical and fantasy. I thought you wrote futuristics. Is fantasy a new one for you?

Robin 11/18/2008 09:18:00 PM  

Your MC sounds really interesting!

Glad your teeth feel better. I had a cracked tooth, infection, root canal, and it took over my entire life. I found that it's very hard to think of anything else when your tooth hurts.

spyscribbler 11/18/2008 10:05:00 PM  

LOL, Melanie! Actually, I wrote this Saturday when I was on that writing roll. Sunday and Monday and until 6:30 were depressingly and incessantly filled with studio busywork.

And that's a good point about The Other Side. You do it better than I do. I need to study how you do it, LOL! :-)

spyscribbler 11/18/2008 10:06:00 PM  

Oh, Edie, YES! I love dialogue like that! And dialogue when they lie, especially to themselves? Fascinating playground!

spyscribbler 11/18/2008 10:07:00 PM  

That would be awesome, Zoe! I didn't understand how that worked, but now I see. That's cool. I'm crossing my fingers for you!

spyscribbler 11/18/2008 10:08:00 PM  

Stewart, I always thought a book about zombies would be cool. Is it scary? No, don't answer, I already know the answer to that, LOL.

It's dragons. Pretty much fantasy-lite with erotica.

spyscribbler 11/18/2008 10:10:00 PM  

Michelle, isn't that interesting? I've never written a futuristic novel, except one, a very long time ago. And badly, LOL. I'm pretty much all over the place with erotica. Fantasy isn't too new. You make me wonder which genre I write the most in!

spyscribbler 11/18/2008 10:13:00 PM  

Robin, ouch, ouch, OUCH! Ouch! I shudder to think of it. I'm pretty okay with the pain. (I say that now that it's a distant memory, LOL!) The tooth pain was actually not as bad as the foot pain, and the foot pain was incessant for months.

Susan Helene Gottfried 11/18/2008 10:40:00 PM  

Hey, babe. I like the way this character sounds. I'm intrigued, so if you need a reader to tear things apart... uhh, let you know how it works, holler.

And of course The Demo Tapes will be available as a download! I need to check; I should be able to do it as a Kindle version, much as that makes me gag. Just for you, though...

(btw, glad you have happy teeth. One of my Penguins took a puck in the mouth tonight. He has not happy teeth -- but he's Russian and had lousy teeth before, so he'll get nice new ones now. Better ones.)

Kath Calarco 11/19/2008 08:38:00 AM  

Spy, I'm with Melanie - unsure of my genre, but after years of contemplation, I just call it "twisted love stories." Right now I'm tearing apart an old manuscript - I love the characters, but they need a new path. Wish me luck!

lainey bancroft 11/19/2008 09:19:00 AM  

Yay, Spy! So glad your mouth is all better. Hate dentists.

Having bounced around all the romance sub-genres, I'm watering the seeds of something completely new and different. I wish I knew why these little ideas possessed me. I can't seem to 'brand' myself. I have this fear I will forever be the Jacqueline of all genres and master of none. :-(

Melanie Avila 11/19/2008 10:00:00 AM  

Spy, I just laughed at the idea of you studying me. If you say so, lol.

Karen Olson 11/19/2008 10:23:00 AM  

I'm just starting to get into the zone with writing my second tattoo shop mystery PRETTY IN INK. But it still sort of feels like an out of body experience.

spyscribbler 11/19/2008 10:25:00 AM  

Awww, Susan, if there's no DRM, I can buy the ebook version from Lulu, right? Is it Adobe PDF?

OUCH! I'm glad he's getting better ones, though! Ouch, ouch, ouch. Poor penguin! ;-)

spyscribbler 11/19/2008 10:26:00 AM  

You bet, Kath! Good luck! I've never torn apart an old story before.

You know, knowing thyself is extremely hard. I study and compare all the time, and I swear I know other writers far, far better than myself.

spyscribbler 11/19/2008 10:27:00 AM  

Karen, that is cool! That's an awesome series. I'm glad you decided to write it. I hope this one is a fun one to write!

spyscribbler 11/19/2008 10:29:00 AM  

Oh, Lainey, I have that fear, too! Well, along with the maybe I can only write in my tiny niche fear. But in that tiny niche, I write everything: fantasy, contemporary, gothic, chick lit... I've tried it all.

If only I could figure myself out. Or figure out what I could write. Or I don't know.

I hear your frustration, for sure!

spyscribbler 11/19/2008 10:31:00 AM  

Melanie, I just laughed at the idea of you laughing at the idea of... um, you know what I mean.

I love figuring out how writers do things. That includes you! LOL!

Melanie Avila 11/19/2008 11:23:00 AM  

Okay, I can get behind your idea of figuring out other writers methods. It was the studying part that made me feel unworthy, lol.

spyscribbler 11/19/2008 11:26:00 AM  

Melanie! You are worthy of study!

Definitely!

marciacolette 11/19/2008 07:32:00 PM  

Lucky stiff. I just started my dental work. Thank goodness after skipping out of the dentist for 4 years, all I need is repair work on a couple of fillings. I HATE the dentist. >:-(

As for writing, I love it when my characters fight. Nothing digs out a character's character until they've had a no-hold's barred arguement. That's when I know who my people really are. Since I'm in paranormal romance right now, my characters have gone through the fight. They're finally in the makeup sex stage.

spyscribbler 11/19/2008 08:19:00 PM  

Marcia, makeup sex rocks! LOL! I love conflict. And I always put my characters through hell. It's really terrible. I put them through hell and call it entertainment. It gives me complexes.