Thursday, November 20, 2008

Questions.

What are split peas made from? Are they peas that have just been split in half?

Why, DEAR GOD WHY, are clothes so THIN nowadays?

I was out shopping today, and I wanted a nice, warm, cozy turtleneck. They are freaking thinner than a nightshirt. They're thinner and flimsier than a piece of paper. Even the high-dollar turtlenecks are thin things.

Also, I looked at some fleece. (I am a comfort dresser.) It is the thinnest gosh darn fleece I have ever seen! As thin as a sheet! How can fleece be so thin???

And then I started walking around the store, feeling clothes, and they are all thin.

And this is OHIO. And it is WINTER.

How are people SUPPOSED TO STAY WARM WITH TISSUE PAPER-THIN CLOTHING???

So I am wearing FIFTEEN YEAR OLD turtlenecks because they are double-layered, thick turtlenecks. The way turtlenecks are supposed to be.

(I have clothes that are fifteen years old. Isn't that crazy?)

22 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 11/20/2008 04:02:00 PM  

It's all about greed, dear. You have to buy ten of the damn things to get the warmth of one, thereby spending ten times the money... lining the pockets of corporate america because you're freezing your ta-ta's off. Joy. Rapture!

In case you're interested, Land's End sells traditional cotton turtlenecks for under $20. And they last.

Melanie Avila 11/20/2008 04:33:00 PM  

Oh yeah, Lands End is good for basics like that. I believe split peas are literally split in half, but I've never looked into it.

I think the clothing people are hoping you'll layer or something, lol.

Eric Mayer,  11/20/2008 04:46:00 PM  

Fifteen year old clothes! That's nothing. I have shirts and sweaters I bought twenty years ago...at thrift stores. They could be older than me!

Susan Helene Gottfried 11/20/2008 05:35:00 PM  

Try Sierra Trading Post for fleece. Great stuff, discounted prices.

I have clothes that are that old, too. Or older.

Ya know, you can road trip one day to the new LL Bean store that's just opened here in town...

Robin 11/20/2008 07:15:00 PM  

I agree with Susan. If you want thick, an Army Navy store-type place is best. I think the really thin turtlenecks are meant to be layered. I see kids wearing 2 or 3 tops, one over the other. Not a flattering look if you're over 16 years old.

Angie 11/20/2008 07:40:00 PM  

I have lots of clothes that old and older. Now don't ask whether I can get into them. [rueful smile]

About split peas, yes, they're literally dried and split. They're field peas, though, which are smaller and starchier than garden peas, the kind you eat fresh.

Angie

Edie 11/20/2008 11:10:00 PM  

I feel too warm around my house with thick sweatshirts, which is what I usually wear around the house in winter. If it's a cold day, I'll wear a T-shirt beneath the sweatshirt. Our temperature isn't high either. I think it's 66 degrees.

I have plenty of clothes 15 years old too. I'm finally going shopping tomorrow and buying new sweaters. :)

Kath Calarco 11/21/2008 09:58:00 AM  

I'm a North Face fan - got their fleeces, coat and boots. I live near the Arctic Circle...ok, ok, not really, but Western New York State, which gets pretty Arctic at times. It's all about layering and keeping out the chill.

LaDonna 11/21/2008 10:37:00 AM  

Love Land's End too! Spy, I'm freezing my fanny off today, but us TN gals aren't used to the cold I guess.

I have to wear layers too, cause I'm the queen of hot-flashes these days. I'm hot, I'm cold, somewhere in between. Alright, already...

And we noticed the skimpy-thing on food too. My daughter noticed the burritos she buys for my granddaughter, are way smaller these days. We were told by a store produce guy that we're really getting less for the same price. They're making stuff smaller to save money. Gosh, I hope the fad doesn't go into clothes too. Not in the mood to size-up! lol.

spyscribbler 11/21/2008 01:43:00 PM  

Well, it took five hours, but I have two new tops and two new pants. I hope I never have to go shopping for at least another year.

WriteNow, SO TRUE! And your Land's End suggestion was awesome. I went there last night, and found some quality stuff that will at least last for awhile.

Melanie, they sure are! I'm such a simple person when it comes to clothes. I want warmth and comfort.

Eric, LOL, they're really 20 years, but I was afraid to admit that. ;-) It's really sad when 20 year old stuff is higher quality than what you can buy new.

Susan, I just went there. NICE! I'm sending Glenn there now, because he needs some warm fleece when he leaves again. *sigh*

spyscribbler 11/21/2008 01:44:00 PM  

Susan, PS: When Glenn saw your post, he said that unless I bought new clothes, no one would want to meet me for lunch, LOL!

I'd rather buy books!

spyscribbler 11/21/2008 01:45:00 PM  

Robin, ooh, that's awesome! We have one a couple towns over that's not so great; I need to find a real good army-navy store! I'd love some good, quality, WARM clothes!

spyscribbler 11/21/2008 01:47:00 PM  

LOL, Angie, THANK you! I've always wondered about that. I do love split pea soup, for sure. If it's made well. When it's not, it's inedible.

Edie, I am Ms. Freezing. I am so cold, all the time! Layers are a good idea. I'd freeze at 66, though! Freeze!

spyscribbler 11/21/2008 01:58:00 PM  

Kath, I was looking at those yesterday, (I think). They sell North Face in this nursery nearby. (We were looking at Christmas trees, LOL.) I was disappointed in the thinness of their fleece this year, and their turtlenecks.

And it's expensive. I'm willing to spend money for something that will last another twenty years, but not for thin stuff!

They do still have some thick stuff, so maybe this is some fashion or something.

spyscribbler 11/21/2008 02:00:00 PM  

LaDonna, Land's End did the trick. I have this big, fluffy sweatshirt thing that actually has a liner in it. Imagine that! Clothing with a liner! I'm very impressed.

Food is so expensive. I just can't get over it. It's driving me nuts.

R.J. Keller 11/21/2008 02:31:00 PM  

Split peas are made from pure evil. The evil is dyed green before being split and sent off to market.

spyscribbler 11/21/2008 05:02:00 PM  

ROFLMAO, R.J.! I'll admit, I have tasted some pretty nasty split pea soup, that's for sure!

Melanie Avila 11/21/2008 11:28:00 PM  

Now I have to ask... is the shirt you're wearing in your profile pic one of the turtlenecks that you're talking about?

spyscribbler 11/22/2008 12:10:00 AM  

No, of course not, Melanie! I was dressed up. That turtleneck is only ten years old.

;-)

Dube 11/24/2008 02:12:00 PM  

I've been wondering the same thing, but with T-shirts. Every time I try to buy a T-shirt lately, I have to muddle through all the super thin ones before I can get to one of a decent thickness. First, I don't want a T-shirt that I have to layer because it's see-through. That defeats the purpose! And second, super thin material doesn't look good on ANYONE. I really don't get this trend.

spyscribbler 11/24/2008 05:55:00 PM  

SERIOUSLY, Dube! Ohmigosh, it's driving me nuts! It looks terrible and it's COLD!

I wonder if it's fashion, or if it's just companies try to skim more and more from the consumer and hope we don't notice.