Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Voter #198

I was #198, no problems this year. When I exited, some woman was telling off a man for not having registered. Yay for the woman, shame on the man.

What are you doing today? I don't know what to do with myself. I'm trying to write, but I'm beside myself. I keep breaking into tears. And then I cried when I watched this video.

What's funny about my reaction to Obama is that I was totally for Clinton. I still think she had a better health care plan, but I have to admit that Obama completely won me over and gave me hope.

So are you on the edge of your seat? How are you occupying yourself? Are you checking every thirty minutes for new news even though the first results won't be in for ages? Which number voter were you? Did your voting go okay?

I can't wait until tonight.

If you're writing, here's some inspiration:

13 bonus scribbles:

Melanie Avila 11/04/2008 02:20:00 PM  

*fans self* That's one of my favorite movies! Now I know what I'll be listening to while I write this afternoon. Ibis even knows the words because I play it so much. :)

What were we talking about? The election? Oh right. I've forced myself to step away from the internet so I can accomplish something today (it's going well, wouldn't you say?)

Billy 11/04/2008 02:28:00 PM  

Funny how CNN's conservatives have been saying that McCain has basically lost, while the more liberal MSNBC has been saying "too close to call" and citing the most conservative poll numbers for battleground states ... probably because Matthews and Olbermann, who I really like, have been so outspooken. I heard the network told its anchors to tone it down close to election time. I think there is going to be a reverse Btadley effect, with many people voting Obama but ashamed to say so. I really am pumped and believe that Obama will get between 320 and 360 electoral votes. Bush has "dressed the set" for this play. Pleae, Lord, set us free from the past eight years! Go, Barack!

spyscribbler 11/04/2008 02:35:00 PM  

Melanie, I downloaded the album after Joaquin Phoenix announced his retirement. I've been meaning to, just kept forgetting. I love the soundtrack.

I just went to the bookstore. I'm instantly relaxed and calm. Clearly, the bookstore is my church.

spyscribbler 11/04/2008 02:50:00 PM  

Billy, I read that article and was heartened by it, but you're right. This election is far from over.

I'm praying, praying, praying for a landslide victory. I hoping with everything I've got.

Mark Terry 11/04/2008 03:34:00 PM  

Although I guess Cash's version is the definitive one, when I was working on this tune last summer I spent a lot of time listening to Keb Mo's version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0891fMsvBy4

It's in a different key and he changes the kicker line that makes the song so powerful--I would argue there are good reasons for it, not the least being that it's the 21st century and there's a racial problem still of hearing an African-American sing a line like "I killed a man just to watch him die..." but nonetheless, a great version of the song.

Virginia Lady 11/04/2008 04:49:00 PM  

Well, I did my civic duty and was pleased to see a crowd in the middle of the day. I didn't really have to wait though since we had a choice of electronic or paper ballots. The electronic ballots had a ten-fifteen minute line, the paper had none. I chose paper. And I made sure those circles were well colored in.

If rally attendance is any indication, Obama has won Virginia. McCain was here in northern Virginia on Saturday but only had about 3,000 in his crowd. Obama was here Monday night and estimates are saying 85,000. And he was 90 minutes late taking the stage.

spyscribbler 11/04/2008 04:55:00 PM  

Mark, I want to hear YOU play something! Some day?

I do like that version: he's got great style. A "clean" voice, you know?

spyscribbler 11/04/2008 04:57:00 PM  

Virginia, LOL, I spent FOREVER making sure every bit of that circle was colored in! I worked so hard, LOL! I checked my presidential selection over and over and over.

Wow, love those rally numbers! THREE MORE HOURS until the first tentative results!!!

Edie 11/04/2008 05:04:00 PM  

Love that song! I feel happy and pretty positive that my guy will win. Although it's not a done thing, I'm not worried.

I was the same way about Clinton and her health plan too, but Obama is going to be a great president! I gotta say, I will miss Tina Fey's Sarah Palin skits.

spyscribbler 11/04/2008 05:15:00 PM  

Seriously, Edie. She did lighten the mood at times. And she is a large part of the reason Obama will do as well as he will do.

I'm not confident, though. I'm wringing my hands together. I'm praying. Desperately.

Melanie Avila 11/04/2008 05:50:00 PM  

Spy, are you hanging in there?

spyscribbler 11/04/2008 06:17:00 PM  

I'm a wreck, Melanie! LOL!

Melanie Avila 11/04/2008 06:47:00 PM  

I just did a workout video to burn off some of this energy. Then I can sit happily on the couch and inhale a pizza without feeling guilty. :)

Maybe you should run around the living room...