Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What Do You Do for Writing?

I was curious, what do you do for writing? What are the little, silly things in your life that you rearrange or change, just for writing?

Like, I'll sometimes change what I eat if my mental clarity falters and it starts to get hard to write. Or I'll wake up at 4:30, even though I hate mornings and getting up is the hardest thing I do all day.

Billy (his blog is awesome, if you haven't been) mentioned that he can mostly just write in the first 4 or 5 hours of the day. I've always found those are the "golden hours," when I can really get things done.

I can make myself sick with coffee and get more in later, and sometimes I can hit a second wind in the evening. Sometimes you get those glorious days where words flow for fifteen hours straight. LOVE those!

For writing, I'll also exercise, even if I don't feel like it. For writing, I'll eat vegetables all day long. For writing, I'll change my schedule and change what I drink.

(Although, get this weirdness, I have not been able to stop eating SEAWEED. I'm craving it like MAD, we're talking middle of the night cravings. I wish I could say I'm pregnant, but I'm not. I don't really even like seaweed, but I can't stop eating it. Has anything that bizarre happened to you?)

So what about you? What are the little things you'll do for writing?

30 bonus scribbles:

Mark Terry 11/12/2008 07:53:00 AM  

Seaweed? Gag me. Are you have salt or iodine withdrawal? Seaweed is very high in iodine.

I used to do that, but now that I'm fulltime I've got more freedom, sort of. Hmmm, I'll set aside TV for writing; I'll set aside blogging for writing; I'll set aside better paying work for writing...

Matt Hilton Author 11/12/2008 08:32:00 AM  

I've never had seaweed, but I know a good blog when I read one. Very interesting blog, I'll be looking back frequently.

Kath Calarco 11/12/2008 08:56:00 AM  

Seaweed cravings? I hope you mean from the Sushi bar, and not that you're hanging out with the fishes.

I've recently rearranged my office for the sake of writing. After reading an article on feng-shuing the work space, I got on the road to better energy. So far all I got was a sore knee and bruising. *sigh* I'm so exhausted. Maybe I need some seaweed...

Edie 11/12/2008 09:31:00 AM  

Does eating dark chocoloate count? I ate blueberries in season because they're supposed to be a brain food. And I've been meaning to make blueberry pie. I'm sure that will boost my brain power, which will make me a better writer. And I'll regretfully put off cleaning for writing.

Spy, trade seaweed for blueberries.

spyscribbler 11/12/2008 09:53:00 AM  

LOL, Mark, it's something. It's craving even stronger than chocolate. I had ten pieces last night and I woke up and ran to the store, first thing, and another fifteen without blinking. I am DYING for the stuff.

Will you really? Set aside higher paying work for writing? That's cool.

spyscribbler 11/12/2008 09:58:00 AM  

Thanks, Matt! It's good to meet you. I loved your blog, and added it to my blogroll and reader. Looking forward to reading more!

spyscribbler 11/12/2008 10:03:00 AM  

Kath, that's awesome! I made an office in my basement that I love. It seems to bother my asthma, but I still love it. :-)

Yeah, I've been downing the spicy nori strips like there's no tomorrow!

spyscribbler 11/12/2008 10:04:00 AM  

I LOVE blueberries, Edie! In fact, when you mentioned dark chocolate, I wanted that, and my eyes got really big when you mentioned blueberries. I have no idea what's wrong with me. I'm also dying for brocolli.

I think I've been eating too much DH food since he got back.

Melanie Avila 11/12/2008 10:57:00 AM  

I've only had seaweed a couple times a a sushi place but it was awesome. I also bought broccoli this morning but we don't get blueberries here and they're my favorite.

I can't think of anything specific I do for writing, other than berate myself to TURN OFF THE INTERNET! Then I have to turn it back on five minutes later because my spellcheck doesn't work and I need to go to dictionary.com.

Matt Hilton Author 11/12/2008 11:10:00 AM  

Hi again,
hey, thanks for the link, that's very kind of you. I'm not all that savvy about this blogging thing yet, but when I figure it out, I'll return the favour. Great to meet you and anyone else with an interest in writing (I'm a fan of spy fiction, too, and they feature heavily in my books). Sorry, that sounds a little like shameless publicity.
best wishes
Matt

Robin 11/12/2008 11:13:00 AM  

I'm trying to boost my energy with some old lady vitamin packs I got at GNC. This is what it said on the package:

"For lazy old ladies who spend their time lounging around listening to English mysteries on their ipod, instead of writing like they're supposed to, these vitamins should help."

They called to me, you know?

Melanie Avila 11/12/2008 01:01:00 PM  

Robin, ROFLMAO. :D Can you share?

Robin 11/12/2008 04:41:00 PM  

Melanie: Of course I'll share! :)

spyscribbler 11/12/2008 05:33:00 PM  

Melanie, I really need to learn how to turn off the internet, for sure! I had broccoli and water chestnuts for lunch, yummy!

Now I'm off to more seaweed. Man, I'm so hungry for it!

lainey bancroft 11/12/2008 05:54:00 PM  

Seaweed, Spy? SEA...weed.

Sorry, unless it is wrapped up in a pretty little sushi, I can't do that. Not even for writing!

Hmm, what do I DO for writing. Interesting slant. I know what I do WITHOUT for writing...housework, Gas' paperwork, telephone calls from my sisters.(Not that I actually feel deprived ditching those responsibilities lol) But maybe I should rethink this and find some things I actively DO to support the writing habit!

*Lainey wanders off scratching head*

lainey bancroft 11/12/2008 05:57:00 PM  

Oops, forgot to say: Robin...I need a hit, hook me up with your vitamin supplier! :0

Melanie Avila 11/12/2008 07:12:00 PM  

Spy, I had a giant plate of sauteed mushrooms, followed by cookies. Very balanced meal.

spyscribbler 11/12/2008 07:27:00 PM  

Matt, always good to hear about another spy fiction fan/author. :-) Blogging is addicting, you'll see!

spyscribbler 11/12/2008 07:29:00 PM  

ROFL, Robin! I need to find me some of those! I need something to help the lump of grey matter up there to focus, that's for sure!

spyscribbler 11/12/2008 07:29:00 PM  

Zoe, a clean house does clear the mind. Or are you thinking of procrastinating, LOL?

spyscribbler 11/12/2008 07:33:00 PM  

Lainey, I'm pretty sure this is the stuff that's used for sushi. Just without the sushi. It's really yummy and crispy and... mmm.

LOL, if I don't support the writing habit, it doesn't happen, for me. :-)

spyscribbler 11/12/2008 07:34:00 PM  

Sauteed mushrooms, Melanie?! Sauteed mushrooms???

I never have understood why people eat mushrooms. They have no taste, only this mushy, squeaky texture. Ick!

(LOL, but I totally respect your right to love them, LOL!)

Melanie Avila 11/12/2008 08:03:00 PM  

But they were sauteed with garlic and sea salt and then dipped in ... ranch.

spyscribbler 11/12/2008 09:02:00 PM  

The garlic, sea salt, and ranch sound good, LOL!

:-)

spyscribbler 11/12/2008 09:03:00 PM  

I love garlic. I used to eat cloves of it raw. Yum!

Aimless Writer 11/12/2008 10:09:00 PM  

Seaweed?
Why?

I'd rather write more than anything (although I'm having trouble getting my groove back), but I'd skip meals to write. Notice I didn't say food, just meals. There's a difference. I'd stay in my pj's all day, drink wine at 10 a.m. (very Hemmingway, no?), or maybe close all the curtains and ignore the doorbell (Aw heck, I do that anyway :).
Remember that song "What I did for love?" I'd do it for the thrill of the words.

spyscribbler 11/12/2008 10:21:00 PM  

LOL, Aimless! I have no idea why seaweed.

And I laughed... I skip meals all the time, but I can munch all day long. :-) Especially when writing!

Melanie Avila 11/13/2008 09:53:00 AM  

I just thought I'd let you know, a day later, that a plateful of mushrooms was not the best idea.

spyscribbler 11/13/2008 10:46:00 AM  

Argghh! LOL, Melanie! Imagining eating a plateful of mushrooms isn't much better! :-)