Monday, November 03, 2008

Why My Best Friend is Voting for Obama

image I'm so thrilled to have my best friend guest blog today! And just in time for the most important day for our country in the next four years. She's not only brilliant, but she is the bravest, most caring, smartest person I know. I love and adore her.

With that, here is Mom2Brie, my best friend:

image Mom2Brie: I'm going to share my three biggest reasons for why I plan to vote for Obama. I will not say one word about McCain. I will simply share why I plan to support Obama.

1) My biggest concern is America's deficit. I believe Obama will do more to decrease our deficit. Pay-as-you-go has been a hallmark of his economic policy since he began his presidential campaign. This is what he said in the final debate: "I have been a strong proponent of pay-as-you-go. Every dollar that I've proposed, I've proposed an additional cut so that it matches.”

2) My second concern - education. I believe that the best way to improve America is through education. Here is the education question from the final debate:

"SCHIEFFER: Let's stop there, because I want to get in a question on education and I'm afraid this is going to have to be our last question, gentlemen.

The question is this: the U.S. spends more per capita than any other country on education. Yet, by every international measurement, in math and science competence, from kindergarten through the 12th grade, we trail most of the countries of the world.

The implications of this are clearly obvious. Some even say it poses a threat to our national security.

Do you feel that way and what do you intend to do about it?

The question to Senator Obama first.

OBAMA: This probably has more to do with our economic future than anything and that means it also has a national security implication, because there's never been a nation on earth that saw its economy decline and continued to maintain its primacy as a military power. So we've got to get our education system right. Now, typically, what's happened is that there's been a debate between more money or reform, and I think we need both.

In some cases, we are going to have to invest. Early childhood education, which closes the achievement gap, so that every child is prepared for school, every dollar we invest in that, we end up getting huge benefits with improved reading scores, reduced dropout rates, reduced delinquency rates.

I think it's going to be critically important for us to recruit a generation of new teachers, an army of new teachers, especially in math and science, give them higher pay, give them more professional development and support in exchange for higher standards and accountability.

And I think it's important for us to make college affordable. Right now, I meet young people all across the country who either have decided not to go to college or if they're going to college, they are taking on $20,000, $30,000, $50,000, $60,000 worth of debt, and it's very difficult for them to go into some fields, like basic research in science, for example, thinking to themselves that they're going to have a mortgage before they even buy a house.

And that's why I've proposed a $4,000 tuition credit, every student, every year, in exchange for some form of community service, whether it's military service, whether it's Peace Corps, whether it's working in a community.

If we do those things, then I believe that we can create a better school system.

But there's one last ingredient that I just want to mention, and that's parents. We can't do it just in the schools. Parents are going to have to show more responsibility. They've got to turn off the TV set, put away the video games, and, finally, start instilling that thirst for knowledge that our students need.”

Beautiful - I can't add a single thing to that.

3) Obama's intelligence shines through, and I think it is imperative that we have an intelligent President. He not only was President of the Harvard Law Review, but also taught constitutional law. Only the president has a constitutionally prescribed oath of office that reads: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” Who can do this better than a former constitutional law professor?

Finally, if you want to see an inspiring video go to this link:  http://my.barackobama.com/aclearchoice.  It's excerpts from Obama's October 27th speech in Canton OH, and it shares his message of hope for our future.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope you enjoy a lovely, joyous, and meaningful holiday season!

~Mom2Brie

What are the most important issues to you? Why are you voting for who you're voting for? And how are you feeling? I'm so nervous I don't know what to do with myself!

21 bonus scribbles:

lainey bancroft 11/03/2008 05:47:00 PM  

As a Canadian, I don't feel qualified to comment on the politics.

As a friend, I can only say I hope you and your best friend get everything you so passionately hope for!

spyscribbler 11/03/2008 06:15:00 PM  

I think in this day and age, the internet and planes have made the world more a... whole world. What happens tomorrow will hopefully change the U.S. a lot, and hopefully that will effect the world in a good way, too. (Not in a bad way, like Bush.)

All that to say, I think your opinion counts, Lainey!

Zoe Winters 11/03/2008 06:17:00 PM  

Hi, mom2brie, great post!

Lainey, I didn't know you were Candadian! Holy crap. How did I not know that?

I wish I could say I was Canadian, then people wouldn't look at me disapprovingly for not voting.

The truth is that I don't like EITHER candidate that much. But I don't really hate either candidate either. I'm completely apathetic about it. If McCain/Palin wins, okay, fine. If Obama/Biden wins, okay, fine.

I think this is the first time in a long time I just haven't had a strong enough opinion to vote for president. Originally I liked Obama pretty well, but he's gotten less shiny for me over the past few months. And I hated McCain/Palin, but I thought she really kicked ass in the VP debates. So, yeah.

Erica Orloff 11/03/2008 06:26:00 PM  

Hi:
My issues . . .

Palin is a anti-woman. I despise her politics on all issues of choice.

Gay rights (though I am not gay) is my most pressing issue, and though Obama didn't take a firm enough stance on that, I consider he did it for centrist reasons, and in reality he is a supporter.

Overall . . . I feel like McCain is out of touch with my life, whereas Obama feels, to me, like he will inspire a new generation of Americans.

E

Melanie Avila 11/03/2008 06:27:00 PM  

Excellent post, mom2brie! I haven't seen the transcripts and he just impressed me all over again. I especially agree with his intelligence. After 8 years of frat boy giggles, I'm ready for a presidential president.

My biggest reason for supporting Obama is I feel like he "gets it". I don't like his health care plan (although I like it better than McCain's) but I do agree with his plans for the economy, education, the war, and so on. I already voted but I wish I could go to a polling center tomorrow!

Edie 11/03/2008 06:39:00 PM  

I'm voting for Obama tomorrow! I'm looking forward to it.

Great blog. I listened to Obama say that answer about education, and it was brilliant!

Robin 11/03/2008 06:48:00 PM  

Great blog, mom2brie! I've supported Obama from the first, and I still do. I'm hoping he'll bring change and equality to the country. It's not very discerning of me, but I nearly always vote democrat (except when I voted for Ross Perot!)

I'm actually OK with McCain on many issues, but I despise Palin. I'm so with Erica on that one. She is a small minded nit wit, and I don't want to see her within a thousand miles of Washington.

Robin 11/03/2008 08:19:00 PM  

I just reread my response, and realize that it sort of sounds like I think Erica is a narrow minded nit wit who shouldn't be within 1000 miles of Washington DC. I meant Palin. It was one of those poorly chosen words, poor punctuation things.

mom2brie,  11/04/2008 12:07:00 AM  

Lainey - My brilliant, dedicated, funny, passionate, and amazing best friend {ie Spy! - hey if she can bring me to tears with her compliments, I can at least try to return the favor :)} has said, if Obama even accomplishes 5% of what he is trying to accomplish, then the US will at least be moving in the right direction - which will be an improvement from the previous 8 years!
I certainly don't think we'll get everything that we hope for, but I do want some small amount of progress.

mom2brie,  11/04/2008 12:12:00 AM  

Thanks, Zoe - As a big Obama supporter, I'm just glad you are not voting for McCain (big grin)!

mom2brie,  11/04/2008 12:16:00 AM  

E - I completely agree with your take on McCain - I personally think his biggest concerns are the richest 5% and military might. As a middle class American, I just cannot relate to him.

mom2brie,  11/04/2008 12:17:00 AM  

A "presidential president," I like that! Oh, but I will miss all of the hilarious bushisms :)

mom2brie,  11/04/2008 12:20:00 AM  

I used to be a 5th grade teacher, and it was the toughest job that I've ever done. Education is key and I LOVE that Obama included the parents' role in education.

Stephen Parrish 11/04/2008 12:23:00 AM  

I voted for Obama a couple of weeks ago by absentee ballot. The first time I saw him was at the 2004 convention, and I thought at the time he was destined for the White House. I had no idea it would happen so fast.

I don't understand people who see no difference between the two candidates or their parties. All you have to do is visit the candidate and party homepages and read their platforms. The differences between the two ideologies and respective approaches to problems are quite significant, making it easy to choose a favorite candidate.

mom2brie,  11/04/2008 12:24:00 AM  

Robin - I knew you were talking about Palin :) No one could ever call Erica a nit wit! I'm really hoping that the majority of Americans feel the same way - I've had knots in my stomach for weeks now. I just hope that I'll be pleasantly surprised tomorrow - and that I can call Spy and celebrate!

mom2brie,  11/04/2008 12:27:00 AM  

Stephen - I'm a librarian, and Obama was the keynote speaker for the ALA convention in 2005 - I've been impressed ever since.

Kath Calarco 11/04/2008 08:35:00 AM  

I can't imagine not voting in these shaky economic times, not to mention, if I don't vote it'll take away my right to complain afterward, lol.

Nothing against John McCain, but he's not the man for the job. As much as he poo-poos Washington politics, he's been one of its biggest supporters. He hangs with the fat cat lobbyists. And I don't see how he can relate to middle America, and vice-versa.

He's the last guy I'd sit and have a beer with because I doubt he'd buy me one.

And last but not least, the last heroic thing he did took place in the Hanoi Hilton. They call him "maverick." Puhlease! Going with Sara Palin just says he didn't voice his true feelings on the subject. He caved to the pressure. All he wanted was a win and cares less about how the choice could affect our country in the long run.

Obama has kept it real from the get go. Nothing has been handed to him. He knows what struggle is all about. And his running mate is a Syracuse Law School grad - GO ORANGE! Obama has run an intelligent campaign - that speaks loudly of his capability to lead our country.

I expect a BLUE sweep.

StarvingWriteNow 11/04/2008 08:52:00 AM  

I am not a political person by any means, I am a registered independent and always try to vote with my conscience... my conscience says Obama. There has been significant trash talking during this election year from both sides... but it seems to me that he sticks with his story and believes what he says. And frankly, the thought of someone like Sarah Palin in office--someone who truly believes that Animal Farm philosophy that "some are more equal than others" scares the bejeebers out of me. Period.

Zoe Winters 11/04/2008 08:57:00 AM  

Hey Stephen, I see differences, but I don't really see anyone who represents MY beliefs.

Palin wants to stomp all over my uterus. Biden wants to control my internet. Granted, they are both the VP nominees and not the prez nominees, but people have been talking about Palin like SHE's the one running for president, and not McCain.

Whatever Palin is for or against, the VP has very little actual power, unless the president dies. Maybe everyone is counting on McCain croaking, I don't know.

I also highly highly doubt she would try to overturn Roe V. Wade. That would be political suicide, and this chick wants to be president. If she ever tried something like that, it would be if she were president, and it would be in her SECOND term. So that's a little far off, IMO for people to get worked up about.

And Obama has, IMO been less than honest about some of his big campaign contributors. I don't trust him. I'm sorry, but I just don't. I also don't think he has that much experience. He talks a lot, but I don't feel like he actually SAYS much of anything.

If he won the election, I believe Biden would be pulling his puppet strings, sort of like how Cheney does now. (One could say Palin would do that with McCain, but given McCain's entire life history, I think he has enough backbone to run his own show.)

And Biden believes in strict internet and RIAA controls. And I'm firmly against all that.

So both candidates, IMO, suck.

Zoe Winters 11/04/2008 08:59:00 AM  

For clarification, how Cheney does now with Bush. (Not with Obama.)

Also, whoever wins, I won't complain about it, because really there is no greater evil here for me.

Melanie Avila 11/04/2008 10:28:00 AM  

Mom - I'll miss the Bushisms too, but fortunately people had the presence of mind to publish books with them, lol. :)