Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Words, They Is A-Flowin'!

imageFinally! This month has been one big sluggish writing fest. But at the last minute, I've hit the flow. I haven't felt the flow in months.

This is always disconcerting to me, because there's always that little fear: what if I've written all I'm able to write?

What if I've lost it forever? What if the words have just up and slowed down?

I still have over 9,000 words to write before 3 a.m. this morning to make NaNo. (Okay, I changed my time zone to Pacific, a little tiny cheat. PLEASE don't tell, but I need the extra 3 hours!) I'm determined. If only for my pride, LOL, because 50K is not that much in a month for me, so I expect myself to make it.

imageSo anyway, I started to make the rounds, then realized if I visited y'alls' blogs, then responded to your comments, 9K might be a wee bit out of my reach.

Will you forgive me if I disappear for one more day? Will blog like CRAZY tomorrow. Can't wait for it!

What do you do when you need to write fast? Caffeine? Fear? Music? Ground teeth? How do you do it?
Today I am grateful for dear, wonderful, amazing husbands who finish putting up all the Christmas lights while I write like crazy.

18 bonus scribbles:

Janna Qualman 11/30/2008 05:19:00 PM  

Yay! I love when that flow comes. Best to you these last hours. And don't feel bad if you need a little extra time. What matters in the end will be your completion - and the work you have to show for it - not necessarily the time you finished it in.

Kath Calarco 11/30/2008 06:25:00 PM  

Spy, good luck completing the task. Regarding the flow: better late than never. ;)

Melanie Avila 11/30/2008 07:00:00 PM  

I'm so happy your flow has returned! It's been quite on the intrawebs without you, but I'm glad it's for a good cause. I won't tell you fudged the time zone, but that's fricking funny.

I've written 2100 words today and I'm trying to force out another 400 so I can end nano at 55k. It's not 60k like I wanted, but considering I didn't write for the past three days, I'll be happy with that.

Robin 11/30/2008 07:15:00 PM  

Yay! I'm so proud of you! Maybe play Rage Against the Machine, or something? You can do it! Sqeeee!

Rick 11/30/2008 08:02:00 PM  

Good luck making it across the finish line, Spy! By the way, I've found that an angry editor with a cattle prod really helps meeting a deadline. I hope that helps.

Persistent Pen 11/30/2008 10:08:00 PM  

Just write! Let what is on your mind float right into your story. Read news clippings and pay attention to how it makes you feel. Listen to some fave tunes. Read some short prose. Give some of that to your writing.

(BTW, I hardly ever flow. :( I tend to skip around between chapters or scenes and here a little, there a little additions.)

Congrats on your flow. May that excitement stick with you forever.

Edie 11/30/2008 11:24:00 PM  

Spy, go flow! You can do it. I couldn't, but you can. :)

I have been writing again and it feels really good. But nowhere near 9K a night!

spyscribbler 12/01/2008 09:36:00 AM  

Janna, I am SO grateful for the flow. That is definitely the best gift NaNo has given me.

spyscribbler 12/01/2008 09:37:00 AM  

You did awesome, Melanie! You were totally an inspiration to me all month long.

spyscribbler 12/01/2008 09:38:00 AM  

Robin, during moments like this, I play this pop violin music that just rages, LOL.

spyscribbler 12/01/2008 09:39:00 AM  

Thanks, Rick! That image helped. :-)

spyscribbler 12/01/2008 09:40:00 AM  

Persistent, your description of your flow is much like mine. Jumping around keeps me going. :-)

Thanks for the encouragement!

spyscribbler 12/01/2008 09:42:00 AM  

Edie, it feels so good! I'm so grateful.

Angie 12/02/2008 02:50:00 AM  

No idea. When the words need to flow then they do, regardless of what else I might have in mind. When they can flow then they're there waiting for me, if I plant my butt in the seat in front of the keyboard and shut down (or at least minimize [cough]) my browser windows. When they don't feel like flowing then going after them is like ridding your kitchen of ants with a pair of pliers -- you know the little buggers are there but damned if you can get more than a few before it becomes clear that the process is more annoyance than it's worth. :P

If yours are flowing, good on you and I'll keep a set of virtual fingers crossed for them to keep doing so!

Angie

Lauren 12/02/2008 09:54:00 AM  

So I've not been to your blog in aaaages because I had fallen off the face of the blog-o-sphere, but I *love* your new look. It's awesome!

Congrats on hitting the flow and good luck with it sticking with you for a long while :)

spyscribbler 12/02/2008 11:51:00 AM  

Angie, finding the faucet that controls the flow is one of my biggest writing goals. I swear to God, somedays it feels like I'm squeezing out one letter at a time.

spyscribbler 12/02/2008 11:52:00 AM  

Thanks, Lauren! I'm glad to see you around! I've been wondering how you're doing. :-)