Saturday, November 01, 2008

Yes, yes, yes! Oh, YES!

Publexion has a great post about why kids reading classic literature is important for the future (and present) of our society, in 2008 is the new 1984.

I've read half of Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood in the past 24 hours (Erica and Kath wore me down), which sort of does it a disservice. It needs to be read slowly. Savored.

I wanted to quote you a brilliant passage or two, but there's a brilliant observation in nearly every paragraph. I find myself saying, "Yes! That's true!" on every page. I can't possibly choose one quote, or even a couple, but I guess I must try:

"I do of course have a real life. I sometimes have trouble believing in it... (See?! Don't you just love that??) ...another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise." (Yes! Yes! Totally!)

"We spent a lot of time driving, in our low-slung, boat-sized Studebaker, over back roads or along two-lane highways up north, curving past lake after lake, hill after hill, with the white lines going down the middle of the road and the telephone along the sides, tall ones and shorter ones, the wires looking as if they were moving up and down." (Don't you just love that image? I don't think the wires hang that way anymore, but I remember watching them do that up and down thing when we used to travel when I was little.)

"There are days when I can hardly make it out of bed. I find it an effort to speak. I measure progress in steps, the next one and the next one, as far as the bathroom. These steps are major accomplishments... I feel I am without worth, that nothing I can do is of any value, least of all to myself." (Totally feel that sometimes. When I was sick, that was how I felt every single moment.)

"I am a busy person, in theory."  (Another yes! LOL! This cracks me up, because I feel the same way! Even when working hard and trying to get a lot done, I tend to feel so slow and tired and lazy most of the time, but... I am a busy person, in theory.)

Okay, I'll stop, because I have an almost irresistible urge to retype the whole book on my blog so you can read it, too. Sometimes I retype books for myself just so I read them slower, enjoy them more, and gain a greater understanding.

I'm a big fan of retyping. I learn a lot.

Those of you doing NaNo will love this video, and even those who aren't will, too. I have to admit, the "rhythm of the keys" thing is something I do to get myself going. I use Q10 and turn on the typewriter sound. Silly, but you have to use what works, right? LOL!

Finding Forrester and How to Write: (It should automatically skip to the 6:45 mark, but if it doesn't, jump to it.)

So what tricks get you writing when things are slow? Sometimes I close my eyes. That helps.

Do you ever retype books or passages? Ever feel like you trouble believing in your real life, LOL? Do you have an author or book that makes you do that yes, yes, yes! thing a lot?

("Have an author:" What an image! Chained up in the basement, perhaps?)

Are you doing NaNo? Melanie has created a forum thread for us to hang out and chat in, called Rockin' Blogging Buddies. It won't let me subscribe at the moment, but things are always quirky the first couple days of November. The site is so slow at the moment it's unbearable, but it always eases up in a couple days. (I suspect 50% of the participants drop out in the first few days, but I don't know, LOL.)

And finally, I leave you with a hilarious video (thanks to Melanie) of how a couple Russians feel about Sarah Palin:

15 bonus scribbles:

Barrie 11/02/2008 01:27:00 AM  

I love Cat's Eye. And pretty much everything Margaret Atwood writes.

spyscribbler 11/02/2008 01:33:00 AM  

Barrie, it's such a joy to find a new-to-me author I know I'm going to love. Or already love.

Amy Nathan 11/02/2008 07:37:00 AM  

I quoted Cat's Eye earlier this week too! Great minds...as they say. I've been too busy all week to read, hope to pick it up again today. It's a re-read for me...I think I read it 25 or more years ago. EEK.

Edie 11/02/2008 07:39:00 AM  

What great videos! One for thinking, one for laughing. Thanks for sharing!

I read Margaret Atwood years ago. Though she is a brilliant writer, the story was depressing, and I never read anything else of hers.

Amy Nathan 11/02/2008 07:39:00 AM  

OK, I also wrote that I type with my eyes closed. Are you sure you aren't me? ;)

spyscribbler 11/02/2008 08:58:00 AM  

Amy, I must have meant you and Erica, not you and Kath. I mis-remembered who wrote that post. So great minds didn't think alike, I just took inspiration from you. It was your quote that made me want to read it!

spyscribbler 11/02/2008 08:59:00 AM  

Oh no, is it? Edie, I really do like my happy endings. Not sure if I want to finish this now, LOL.

spyscribbler 11/02/2008 09:00:00 AM  

Did you, Amy? Okay, that I didn't copy, LOL! Sheesh. :-) My brain is clearly not as creative as it thought, LOL.

Robin 11/02/2008 09:34:00 AM  

I am embarrassed to say I've never read Margaret Atwood. Your review of this book has completely intrigued me. I think you should quit your job and become a book reviewer. Seriously, something about showing passages and giving your reaction to them made the book seem very cool.

I have never retyped part of a book, nor even considered doing so. I have tried on shoes repeatedly, though.

Billy 11/02/2008 10:00:00 AM  

I use plain old stream of consciousness when stuck. I just type gibberish and more often than not, it slowly turns into something--or at least gets my mind in gear.

Billy 11/02/2008 10:01:00 AM  

PS Thanks for the link. Gracias!

Melanie Avila 11/02/2008 10:33:00 AM  

I've only read The Handmaids Tale, but almost picked up The Blind Assassin the last time I was home. I'll have to check out Cat's Eye.

I've never retyped passages except to quote sections for an email or blog post. If I'm stuck I get up and do something else (usually the bathroom is a good trigger place for me) and mull it over. Eventually it will work itself out.

I'm also a person who swears I'm the only non-adult in the room AND I'm busy in theory, lol.

spyscribbler 11/02/2008 04:11:00 PM  

LOL, Robin! Now see, I've never tried on shoes repeatedly. :-)

I haven't read her either, except for half of this novel, so don't feel bad, LOL!

spyscribbler 11/02/2008 04:12:00 PM  

Billy, that works too, definitely. I used that technique last night!

And you're welcome! :-)

spyscribbler 11/02/2008 04:14:00 PM  

Melanie, the bathroom is a great place, LOL! I usually sit in the bathtub or the shower. Or the bathtub while the shower is running. :-)

I've never read any Atwood, so this is all new to me!