Friday, December 05, 2008

Dentistry Sucks. And Thank You!

image This morning Little Miss Happy trotted off to what she thought was FINALLY, after six months, going to be her last session of dental torture.

Oh, how the Universe laughed.

I can't coherently tell you how it went without screaming in capital letters and using many curse words. Not to mention the pain I am in at the moment has me spitting fire.

image Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow. (Well, actually, if I'm lucky, a week; if not, more.)

In the meantime, thank you, thank you, thank you for all the comments on the comment thing. And I've been blog-buddies with y'all for a long time, and I like you all and your commenting style just as you are. :-)

So no worries. I enjoyed the discussion and was only worried my tightening schedule (or, at the moment, my new writhing-in-pain schedule) might offend.

So... wanna share dental torture stories? Are they freakin' quacks or not? Got a dental rant?

45 bonus scribbles:

CJ Harley 12/05/2008 05:44:00 PM  

Hmmm. I haven't any dental torture stories to share. The last time I had any major procedure done was when they yanked my wisdom teeth out and it wasn't all bad.

Keep popping the pain pills and I am sure you'll be just fine. :o)

Melanie Avila 12/05/2008 06:41:00 PM  

Oh Spy, I'm sorry you went through such torture! I really need to go to a dentist soon.

My only horror story was when I had my wisdom teeth out at age 19. First, no one could go with me so I had to take a cab home. I wrote out the directions because I couldn't talk, then had to have him stop halfway so I could throw up on the side of the road. I'm allergic to penicillin but hadn't been tested since I was a baby and what do you know - I'm still allergic!

I couldn't keep anything down for four days, and when the vomiting finally stopped, I realized my entire chin was numb. It stayed that way for FOUR months before returning to normal. But now I'm good.

Eric Mayer,  12/05/2008 06:56:00 PM  

Hell is a dentist's chair!

I preferred it when I was a kind and they put me to sleep for extractions. The dentist let me believe the mask he put over my face to administer the anesthesia sucked the tooth out.

I know...but I also believed in the tooth fairy.

marciacolette 12/05/2008 06:57:00 PM  

Oh man! I hear you on the torture thing. I had a dentist that was supposed to give me a crowd. His silly a$$ knocked out the entire tooth, so he had to do a bridge instead. Adding insult the injury, that b***tard thought he was doing me a favorite by giving me free oral surgery on the tooth he knocked out. It took me eight years before I'd trust another dentist with my teeth.

My heart goes out to you, girlfriend. :-(

Persistent Pen 12/05/2008 07:20:00 PM  

I need some dental work done. At 35, I think most people are starting to feel the effects of all those Sodas and chocolate bars.

I always hate showing my mouth to anyone and then on top of shame, one has to experience the pain.

Pain pills are a blessing in such times, just imagine what it was like when it was alcohol instead of opiates. They used to cut limbs off after a few sips of whiskey. Owwweeee!

Anyways, wishing you quick healing and some uninterrupted rest.

Robin 12/05/2008 07:20:00 PM  

So sorry, Spy. Tooth stuff is truly the worst. I never had a cavity, and then cracked a tooth and got a crown two years ago. It was the worst experience ever, and I missed days of work when it got infected. What a friggin mess. I really hope you feel better soon.

Anissa 12/05/2008 09:00:00 PM  

Ugh. I'm overdue for my dental torture...er, checkup. Hope you feel better!

Edie 12/05/2008 10:05:00 PM  

Hugs, Spy. Something went wrong with a root canal once. My jaw swelled up and I looked like a cartoon character. It was the worst pain I've had.

I hope you're feeling better now.

McKoala 12/05/2008 10:06:00 PM  

I still have dentist fear thanks to the torture merchant my mother took us to as a child.

I also have dental disappointment, because despite two sets of mouth metal and other techniques, such as extraction and tooth shaving, I still have uneven teeth. Apparently they are simply too big for my mouth and if they take out any more I will not be able to eat!

Robin 12/05/2008 10:55:00 PM  

Oh, wait. I forgot the best part of my story. When I called the dentist, and he figured out I had a bone infection in my jaw, he said, "You should have told me it hurt, when I put on the crown!" I thought that the weeping and screaming while he did it had been a pretty good hint. Duh!

Ello 12/05/2008 11:31:00 PM  

Man do I feel your pain. Like I said before, you are the only other person who really knows the hell that I too am undergoing!

We are the sisterhood of dental pain. My throbbing gums and jaws salute you!

LaDonna 12/05/2008 11:49:00 PM  

Aww, Spy, I feel for you! Dentist and me go back a long way, and it's the absolute least favorite place to go for me.

My horror story consists of braces in H.S. in the olden days with the wire and headgear. Augggh. Talk about gum sores, and pain to pop your head off. lol. And my jaw is still store from the strep I got last week. For some wierd reason, it showed it as jaw/teeth pain first. I so hear the song you're singing!

Get well soon, okay?

R.J. Keller 12/06/2008 12:29:00 AM  

Dentistry is an ancient form of voodoo...that's what I say.

Feel better soon.

Angie 12/06/2008 06:55:00 AM  

I haven't been to a dentist in almost a decade and SO need to go. But I hate going. But I have to....

Last time I went, I'd had some fillings put in my front teeth by a previous dentist and they were discoloring around the edges. I asked my then-current dentist about it and was told that 1) they were perfectly solid and the discoloring was only cosmetic, and 2) because of number one, my insurance wouldn't pay to have them redone. I said fine, I'm not really into the cosmetic, so if they're solid then I won't worry about it.

A couple months later we lost our dental insurance. A couple of months after that, the first of my "perfectly solid" fillings fell out. :/ I was really freaked at first, but it didn't actually hurt and I could eat and all just fine, so eventually I shrugged and went on with life. Over the next year or so, all the other "perfectly solid" fillings also fell out.

It was ugly, yeah, but it wasn't impairing in any way, and I hardly ever leave my house anyway, so whatever. And even when we do get our dental insurance back, a couple of years later, I still don't go. Because I really do hate going to the dentist Just That Much. I mean, I know I should but I keep procrastinating, you know?

Fast-forward to about a year and a half ago. I'm up at my mom's, drinking coffee out of a big, heavy mug. I miss a bit and it clunks against my front teeth and SNAP! O_O One of the weakened teeth breaks off, sort of diagonally, about halfway down. [headdesk] [except not really 'cause I'll lose another chunk of tooth, LOL!]

Oh, and a few months ago I actually scraped up my resolve and Googled my dentist ('cause I didn't have his number anymore) and found that he'd moved to Arizona a number of years back to sell real estate. :P So not only do I have to scrape up my resolve a second time, I also have to face the lovely prospect of a new, unknown dentist. O_O Not that I was all too impressed with Dr. Perfectly Solid or anything, but I'll admit I was kinda looking forward to showing him the results of his diagnosis. [sporks dentist]

Anyway. [cough] One thing I'll probably get from the EPPIE finalist thing is that I really want to go to EPICon, on the off chance that I win, and even if I don't just to hang and meet people and all. But if I'm going to be meeting a bunch of new people, especially in my Pro Writer Persona(tm), I have to get my teeth fixed first. Yes, it is that ugly. So after the holidays and before March, I have to brave the gauntlet which is dentistry once more. O_O

Angie

Sarah Laurenson 12/06/2008 12:47:00 PM  

I am so with you, though you've had it much worse. My latest crown and root canal has gone on for well over a month now. The 'last' appointment is this Monday, but I had 3 or 4 weeks of constant pain (can't even remember now) before it was decided that yes, it does need a root canal. Then there were the fun times the temp crown popped off, especially when I was out of town. Oh yeah. No fun even though both my dentist and the endodontist are very sweet and patient conscious.

Janna Qualman 12/06/2008 01:20:00 PM  

Ooh, you poor thing! I hope your recovery is surprisingly quick!

My worst experience was just getting my wisdom teeth out, but that was bad enough.

Kath Calarco 12/06/2008 05:33:00 PM  

You'll all hate me, but I've never had a bad dental experience, even when I had my wisdom teeth yanked (which explains a lot).

And now you'll all think I love pain...well maybe I do. (And spy, you go ahead and curse all you want.)

Stewart Sternberg 12/06/2008 06:38:00 PM  

I sat there, listening to them cracking my tooth as part of the extraction. It was only bearable. I thought I would scream, tears squeezed out my eyes. And then, it seemed to end. It seemed to end..until I heard the words.

"Hmmm..look...some of the decay seems to have gotten into the sinus cavity. We're going to have to scrape that out."

Sandi Kahn Shelton 12/06/2008 11:10:00 PM  

Ohhh, Spy, I hate going to the dentist so much, too! I think it's because they work so close to our brains...it creeps me out. Also, it hurts. And I have to go next week!!!!

Thanks so much for coming and commenting on my blog. It really meant a lot to me, and I hope your kitties are well and stay that way.

You have a wonderful blog. I'm so pleased to discover you--and to discover my blog in your blogroll! I'll return the favor...and I'll be back to visit often. Great posts!!

mom2brie,  12/06/2008 11:33:00 PM  

{{{{{{{{{{Big Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

colbymarshall 12/07/2008 12:16:00 AM  

So, I don't really have a torture story, but I am terrified of the dentist. I don't know why, but I have been ever since I can remember. I have to be sedated to have my teeth cleaned...that's how strong the fear is!

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:20:00 AM  

CJ, wow, that is nice. Except the wisdom teeth. I was so afraid of that, I think I convinced mine not to grow in. I think I'm missing one, too, or something. :-)

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:21:00 AM  

Ohmigosh, Melanie! That is awful! Your chin was numb? How did they manage that? Geeze, I'm starting to think they're all a bunch of freaking quacks!

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:22:00 AM  

Amen, Eric! Definitely! Your dentist WAS very kind. I wish they would put me to sleep. I wish they could put me to sleep, and when I woke up, it would all be over and everything would be done.

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:23:00 AM  

Marcia, a FAVOR? Ohmigosh! You're kidding! Did he really think you were going to consider paying for it? Sheesh!

I don't blame you about the trust thing. *sigh*

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:25:00 AM  

Aw, Persistent. You're the exact same age as me. You know, I don't know. It feels like my teeth got significantly WORSE since I started going to the dentist this summer.

So I don't know. Bring on the salt water swish. Nothing beats that.

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:26:00 AM  

Wow, Robin, you lucky! I mean, about never having a cavity. I think I don't eat enough calcium. (I'm allergic to milk.) So my teeth are not happy with me.

I'm so sorry about the cracked tooth! That's exactly what happened to one of my teeth. It sure hurts!

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:31:00 AM  

Thank you, Anissa! I hear you. I need a cleaning soon, but I don't want to go. My teeth get worse when they work on them!

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:32:00 AM  

Oh, wow, Edie. Between your story and Robin's, that's frightening! That is just horrible. Pain in the dental area is probably the worst pain I've ever felt, except maybe my foot. It's a toss-up.

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:34:00 AM  

Wow, McKoala, that must be frustrating! I got my fear from a dentist who felt that by making the process unpleasant, I would "learn a lesson" and not get a cavity.

So now I shake in the dentists' chair. We're talking big, big shaking, way beyond trembling. And I do it for an hour straight, which is so exhausting, that I spend the rest of the day in bed, LOL.

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:37:00 AM  

Robin, OMG! SEE? I have a good rant about women and doctors. Doctors just don't listen to women. When you have a chronic illness, they tell you to bring a man with you. They tell you that if you're a woman, you can only list one thing wrong with you; if you list three, they automatically write you off.

AND THEY DON'T LISTEN! Glenn doesn't understand. I leave, and I say "he didn't do this and that, and he did this and he didn't fix that. And that hurt."

And he's like, "I tell them it hurts, and they stop right away."

And I'm like, "I tell them to STOP, THREE TIMES, and they ignore me. I tell them my teeth won't close THREE TIMES, and they don't listen!!!!"

Oh, don't get me started. Did you go and bang a freakin' pot over his skull? What an IDIOT!

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:39:00 AM  

Oh, Ello. I'm sure you've got it worse than me. The worst part is, is the process goes on FOREVER. Ohmigawd, FOREVER! It's been ten months since I first had pain! TEN MONTHS!

I feel my mouth has only gotten worse with treatment.

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:40:00 AM  

Oh, wow, LaDonna! That must have been difficult for a child! Now they have those clear braces you can't even see, but wow!

Those things can really give you some killer headaches, I hear!

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:42:00 AM  

Angie, you know, I think the only thing I'd advise is, if you have a deadline, sooner is better. It's still a process for me, and we've been at this for SIX MONTHS. It has truly been a freakin' part time job.

And we're not done yet.

Stories like yours just make me shake my head. These are some quacks, aren't they?

Lauren 12/07/2008 09:44:00 AM  

Oh noes! I don't know why anyone would want to be a dentist!

I hope you feel better quickly.

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:53:00 AM  

Ohmigosh, Sarah. I had my first pain in February, but didn't have the money until July. I've had a series of temporary crowns that ALWAYS fall off, about twenty or so visits (for two root canals), and we just finished. Except my teeth aren't lining up properly, and now the cavity they said we should put off until after the root canal NOW MAY NEED A ROOT CANAL.

Major growls! These are quacks, I tell you!

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:54:00 AM  

Janna, I dreaded that so much, I think I convinced my wisdom teeth not to grow, LOL. That is definitely bad enough!

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:56:00 AM  

Ohmigosh, Stewart. Glenn just had all his teeth, save four, pulled. I don't know how he did it. He said some people, even though they weren't in any pain per se, screamed during the entire procedure.

I can only pray I never have to go through that! Or that they'll put me out!

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 09:57:00 AM  

Sandi, what a scary way to look at it! Oh gosh, but you're right. Good luck at the dentist!

I feel for you and your baby. *hugs*

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 10:02:00 AM  

Aww, thanks, mom2brie! Can I call you for a good rant, LOL? I don't think I've talked with you since the last few days of NaNo! There's this weird thing where I swear, I only think of calling you when you work. It drives me crazy.

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 10:04:00 AM  

Wow, Kath. Well, I'll forgive only because you gave me permission to curse.

I appreciate that, I really do! :-)

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 10:06:00 AM  

Wow, Colby, I wish they'd sedate me! I shake in the dental chair, and sometimes cry. I shake for an hour, and it's such a traumatic experience, I have to go home and sleep the rest of the day.

spyscribbler 12/07/2008 10:11:00 AM  

Lauren, it might have something to do with the fact that they make more in a year than most doctors, and the insurance isn't so bad, LOL.

They make a killing to torture our teeth!

writtenwyrdd 12/08/2008 09:49:00 AM  

OH, I'm so sorry you have been suffering with dental woes! I don't have any nightmares to share, though. I've never suffered horrendous pain, either from a dying tooth or a root canal or other treatment. I get ear pain when I get tooth problems, though.

I think because I can contrast teeth pain with my migraine problem it pales in comparison!