Saturday, December 27, 2008

It's That Time of Year

Rick reminded me that it was time to start thinking of my New Year's resolutions, which led me to thinking about the past year.

I did start doing one thing at a time, which has been mostly good, except it gives me less time to blog. But I think I get more done, overall.

image I didn't write as much as I wished I would. I never do. That's a bit frustrating. I need to find a number that I can both do, and feel like I've done good work when I'm done. No matter how much or how little I write, I always feel like I need to write more and faster.

I didn't write anything much (well, didn't finish anything except a short story) in a new genre. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Obviously, the grass is greener on the other side. On the other hand, in order to write a story, I need to "live" in its imaginary world, and I only seem to live in my genre's imaginary world.

I don't think I'm going to be happy until I find a "regular" story which captures my imagination, that I can at least try NY with. Then again, I'm feeling greater pressure to make more money with the stories I do write. I have some ideas, but they involve things which will take away from writing time. I don't know.

image I never did get back to my daily yoga routine. As important as that is to me, I really can't figure out why I have such difficulty putting that back into my regular schedule.

I did love more. And I did seem to grow into a more forgiving person. I'm sort of one of those people who never get mad at my friends or acquaintances, ever, but then when I do, I'm like a dog with a bone. But this year, I've just come to a point where I don't have the time or energy, LOL, and I just let it go. Which is great.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything else. What about you? How was your last year? Looking back, did you change in any ways? Did you accomplish what you'd hoped to? And what areas are you hoping to improve this year?

42 bonus scribbles:

Amy Nathan 12/27/2008 09:10:00 AM  

Luckily I don't remember specific goals or resolutions from last year, because I'm sure I didn't achieve them...actually I probably didn't make them.

I know that I'm grateful for a year where I've written a lot and found the wonderful camaraderie of writers online. I'm hoping for more of it -- all of it -- in 2009.

Melanie Avila 12/27/2008 09:41:00 AM  

I didn't make any goals for this past year because I decided I did enough for two years in 2007, lol. But, I did write one and a half novels, and I'm very happy with that. I'm hoping that '09 will see me finishing both novels and rewriting my memoir.

laughingwolf 12/27/2008 10:54:00 AM  

i'd just as soon forget most of '08, starting with my dad's death in early february, and irritating crap seems to continue.... :(

Edie 12/27/2008 04:30:00 PM  

I didn't make my goals this year. Stuff happened. I'm not making goals for 2009, except daily page goals.

Holly Kennedy 12/27/2008 06:39:00 PM  

Hmmmm... I guess I did achieve most of my goals for 2008 although I never put together a formal list or anything.

Hats off to 2009 though!
I'm ready for a new year.

Janna Qualman 12/27/2008 08:09:00 PM  

My 2008 has been full of absolute highs and low. The latter part of the year was worst, emotionally, but I have to recall all the progress I made with both our house (remodeling) and my writing (it wasn't too shabby to have been considered by a major publishing house - even if they did say no). All in all, the year was "well rounded," because I really did grow as, first, a person, and second, a writer. I hope more of the same (but with less strife like this year's) awaits me in '09. Good luck to you in the new year, Spy!

Christina 12/28/2008 12:00:00 AM  

I hope this year gives you the time you need to write.

This year has been a learning experience. I regret nothing, but I need to be a little more focused on business. We'll see how that goes.

Happy New Year if I don't talk to you before then.

Dominique 12/28/2008 10:31:00 AM  

I ended up writing more because I started blogging this year...something I didn't even think about doing at the beginning of 2007.

I managed to set aside more time to finish reading books, and came close to my reading goals for the year.

I still struggle with things like walking as much as I'd like, and getting up to the health club as often as I'd like, but I did start going regularly to a Latin Fusion Dance Aerobic class this year that I really enjoy.

LaDonna 12/28/2008 11:58:00 AM  

Hey Spy, I don't remember my last year's resolutions. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Maybe I accomplished them, and moved on. LOL.

This year, I'm just going to focus on story, and see where it takes me. I'd love to finish my WIP in the spring, and write a sequel. There's another story sequel I need to write also. Maybe it'll be a year of completion...

Barbara Martin 12/28/2008 03:37:00 PM  

I had vowed a resolution to write more, which I did on my blog. Though I should have made it more specific that I write more on my creative works, and this has become one of my 2009 resolutions.

Kath Calarco 12/28/2008 03:48:00 PM  

I didn't make any resolutions for 2008. That said, the year had a "what the hell, why not?" motif. In other words, I did it by the seat of my pants with "complete abandon." I started three new WIPs, made the Dean's List, dismantled an old ms, which is now my current WIP.

I have decided, now that the year is history, to be a little more focused on the present WIP - no more "what the hell, why not" moments.

spyscribbler 12/28/2008 07:18:00 PM  

Amy, I've been afraid to look at mine. These were just off the top of my head. :-)

And great reminder, you're right! I've found so many new writing friends!

spyscribbler 12/28/2008 07:19:00 PM  

LOL, Melanie, very true! And one and a half novels are no small beans! I think you've done enough for two years again. ;-)

spyscribbler 12/28/2008 07:20:00 PM  

Laughing Wolf, what a terrible year! I really hope 2009 is a much better year for you. A much better year!

spyscribbler 12/28/2008 07:20:00 PM  

Edie, I've got some daily page count goals myself. Most of my goals are going to be writing-related. I'm intent on getting some things done I want done.

spyscribbler 12/28/2008 07:21:00 PM  

Holly, I love that, LOL! I need your enthusiasm. My feeling this year is: oh shit, another year passed?

spyscribbler 12/28/2008 07:24:00 PM  

Janna, that sounds like a productive year of progress, if not an entirely pleasant one. Still, those are no small beans! I hope 2009 is just as productive, and more pleasant, all around!

spyscribbler 12/28/2008 07:25:00 PM  

Christina, I need to be more focused on business, too. I think I've grown this year, in many ways, but I need to get down to business.

spyscribbler 12/28/2008 07:27:00 PM  

Dominique, I want more time to read, too! That's a big priority for me, this year.

I'm having trouble getting to the health club, too. Your dance class sounds like a BLAST!

spyscribbler 12/28/2008 08:05:00 PM  

LaDonna, I have two novellas hanging on that are driving me nuts. I could use a year of completion, too! These goals were just off the top of my head, but I've been afraid to look for real, LOL.

Good luck with your sequels! I love sequels!

spyscribbler 12/28/2008 08:06:00 PM  

Barbara, that's awesome! I want to write more fiction, too. Always more words, always faster. :-)

Good luck, Barbara!

spyscribbler 12/28/2008 08:08:00 PM  

Kath, wthwn sounds like fun! If pantsing works in fiction, why not with goals? Well, yeah, I sort of abandoned my goals the last couple months, and pantsing them didn't work so well for me, either.:-)

Lisa 12/28/2008 11:57:00 PM  

I'd say I changed quite a bit - at least when it comes to writing.
that is, I started out the year working on the next in the series to Into This Mind then shifted to writing a new novel then completely shelved the lot of it!

I've been enjoying time with family and friends since and I've been quite happy!

Dube 12/29/2008 12:12:00 AM  

I never write as much as I plan either. It's so frustrating, and seems to be a daily occurrence. :(

McKoala 12/29/2008 06:31:00 AM  

I resolved to make more effort with my clothes. Like, not to wear jeans every day.

A year on...yup. Still in jeans every day.

Maybe I'll resolve the same thing again this year!

Pink Ink 12/29/2008 09:22:00 AM  

I'm a year behind on resolutions. I didn't make any last year!

So maybe this year I'll resolve to be more resolute. :-)

I love your writing blog, Spy. You have a great layout and style. So you should count this as one of your writing babies :-)

Charles Gramlich 12/29/2008 12:37:00 PM  

I got a fair amount of writing done this year but not as much as I'd liked to have done. Still, I made progress so I'll cut myself some slack. All in all, it was a pretty good year for me.

laughingwolf 12/29/2008 12:51:00 PM  

belated season's blessings to you and yours :)

StarvingWriteNow 12/29/2008 02:19:00 PM  

so make your writing number really small and when you get to the end of next year and you've WAAAY surpassed it, you can jump up and down and "Woo Hoo" and all that. I think my writing goal will be 100 words--you never know; I may get past that next year!! LOL

spyscribbler 12/29/2008 07:48:00 PM  

Lisa, what a beautiful cover you have on Into This Mind! Writing-wise, I didn't end up writing all I wanted to write, that's for sure.

Virginia Lady 12/29/2008 08:57:00 PM  

I had a number of resolutions and they are detailed on my blog as are the results, but overall as far as changes inside, I'd say I'm a lot more at peace with myself and the people around me. A nice bonus for the year I think.

spyscribbler 12/30/2008 06:18:00 AM  

LOL, Dube, I know the feeling!

spyscribbler 12/30/2008 06:20:00 AM  

McKoala, take heart! You're a step ahead of me! My goal this year should be not to wear sweats every day, LOL. Jeans is like dressing up, for me!

spyscribbler 12/30/2008 06:21:00 AM  

Pink Ink, awww, thanks! I never thought of it that way. I tend to think of blogging as playtime, but Virginia Woolf wrote essays every day. She'd totally be a blogger, if she were around today!

(That sounds like I'm comparing myself to her. Nope. I'm just saying, one couldn't find a better model to show how to practice writing.) :-)

spyscribbler 12/30/2008 06:22:00 AM  

Awesome, Charles! I need to cut myself some slack, too. Truth is, I never seem to write enough, fast enough. I think that's the story of a writer's life.

spyscribbler 12/30/2008 06:23:00 AM  

Awww, thanks, Laughing Wolf! You, too! And a Happy New Year!

spyscribbler 12/30/2008 06:24:00 AM  

WriteNow, that's awesome! I swear, the 100 words a day Rockin group totally keeps me going when the going gets tough. :-) Do you want to rejoin? Melanie's in it, now. :-)

spyscribbler 12/30/2008 06:25:00 AM  

Virginia, definitely a nice year! I can't quite say the same, as my biological clock seems to have this screeching, awful alarm that's really driving me crazy, but as far as people go, I'm happy.

Melanie Avila 12/30/2008 12:28:00 PM  

Spy, I keep forgetting to update at RW!

Morgan Mandel 12/30/2008 08:10:00 PM  

I should make a resolution to work on my novel more. I always say I'll do all these other things first and then my writing suffers.

I'm going to need to put it first.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://www.morganmandel.com

spyscribbler 12/30/2008 08:24:00 PM  

Melanie, I have nothing to update, LOL! I'm supposed to get back to writing tomorrow. But man, I feel like relaxing. Just one more day of vacation, please?

spyscribbler 12/30/2008 08:25:00 PM  

Morgan, I know the feeling! I've decided to get up every morning at 5 to write my fiction. If I don't, my mind scatters, and other things get in the way of what's most important.

Good luck!