Friday, December 26, 2008

A Perfect, Wonderful Day

We spent all day at the theater: four movies in twelve hours. It was an amazing, perfect, wonderful day.

image Australia was okay (awesome in parts, too long in others), Doubt was wonderful (heavy, but excellent story and acting), Marley and Me was hilarious, but of course we sobbed at the end, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was perfection.

image It's kind of hard for me to relax. If I'm not working, I typically feel guilty for not working. Even when I am working, I tend to feel guilty for not getting more done faster.

So it took until the fourth movie until something in me just relaxed. I was cuddling with Glenn in the theater, and it settled into one of those perfect moments, where you're just so grateful. I was with the man I loved most in the world, watching the thing I love most in the world: story. Is there a better way to spend Christmas Day?

How was yours? What'd you do? And if you missed Melanie's post while you were celebrating the holiday, be sure to check it out below!

Happy Holidays, all! I appreciate you guys so much. Thank you for another great year! Thank you for keeping me company during my ups and downs!

24 bonus scribbles:

Alena 12/26/2008 01:54:00 AM  

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Alena

www.smallbusinessavenues.com

Aimless Writer 12/26/2008 09:02:00 AM  

Happy Holidays!
We spent a quiet day. We went to see Marley and Me too!. It was wonderful. I laughed and I cried.
It probably wasn't the wisest movie to see just two weeks after putting out beloved Loki to sleep but I think it was a good cry (if you know what I mean). I'm still missing her and some days its harder than others. I look at my other dog now and at age 11 I worry about her. She's slowed down alot in the last year.
After dinner we watched The Hulk on video. Much better than the last Hulk movie.
Four movies in one day? I think I want to try that!
Hope everyone had a wonderfully peaceful Christmas and Hanchanuka!
(Did I spell that right? Yikes!)

Janna Qualman 12/26/2008 10:27:00 AM  

I've never done that at the theater, but it sounds like a really awesome day!

Melanie Avila 12/26/2008 10:30:00 AM  

I'll say it again, you're nuts! We've done three in one day and that was all I could handle. I'm glad you were finally able to relax!

spyscribbler 12/26/2008 11:31:00 AM  

Nice to meet you, Alena!

spyscribbler 12/26/2008 11:33:00 AM  

Happy Holidays, Aimless! I thought of you, while we were watching it. We laughed like crazy, too, and then sobbed. I thought of you and Loki. And Heather and her little one.

Poor baby. It's so hard to watch them get old! My mother, after her bird died, decided she never wanted another bird because it hurt too much when they died. I don't know. I can see that. At the same time, the bird gave her so much joy and life.

Thanks, Aimless! I hope you have a wonderful holiday week!

spyscribbler 12/26/2008 11:34:00 AM  

Janna, it was incredible! It can't be beat!

spyscribbler 12/26/2008 11:38:00 AM  

Melanie, you're kidding! I could spend days in the theater!

Edie 12/26/2008 01:17:00 PM  

How awesome that you had such a great day! We're going to see Marley next week. I plan on stuffing my purse with kleenex. (And a few pieces of chocolate.)

I loved Australia! To me, it had everything. I laughed and I cried. On Monday. I'm going to see The Tale of Despereaux. That should be fun. My husband and I will probably see the Benjamin Button movie next week too.

Angie 12/26/2008 05:56:00 PM  

Sounds like you had a great time. :D I definitely want to see three of those movies myself -- Doubt is on my B-list -- so good to get more positive opinions. I read the book Marley and Me is based on a couple of years ago and it was great, so I'm definitely looking forward to that one. :D

We did very little yesterday. We weren't quite snowed in, per se, but we did get a boatload of snow (relative to Reno's usual) and my mom prefers not to drive in snow, so we skipped our 5:30 dinner reservations and just ate at her place. It was mostly a kicking-back day. Actually, except for a couple of frantic shopping expeditions and a couple of bouts with cookie recipes set to make way too many cookies (7 and 12 dozen respectively, and I'm pretty sure I got more than that out of each one [laugh/flail]), the whole visit has been pretty kick-back, which is just the way I want it.

And I got mostly books for Christmas, which is also the way I like it. :D

Angie

Rick 12/26/2008 11:21:00 PM  

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time and a well deserved moment of relaxing.

Between Christmas and New Year's, I plan my next year's writing and study, asking for input from my family, including my son and daughter. Sometimes family members are more perceptive about where the next year should take me than I would have ever thought!

colbymarshall 12/26/2008 11:33:00 PM  

Can't wait to see both Marley and Button...Edda looks like a little Marley, but she doesn't act like one! What a fun day to see bunches o' movies!

spyscribbler 12/27/2008 07:57:00 AM  

Edie, it's really funny at the beginning, and they do a nice job of alleviating the crying by a replay of a funny scene during the end, which helps. Still, it's a tear jerker!

I can't quite figure out why Australia didn't sweep me away. It had all the right elements, and I really wanted to be swept away.

The scene with the boy and the cattle, though, was AMAZING!

spyscribbler 12/27/2008 07:59:00 AM  

Oh yummy, Angie! We didn't do cookies this year, and I missed them!

Doubt was heavy, but well-done, all the way through. At the very end, you could totally tell it was based on a play: it had that play sort of timing, but that was okay.

I read the beginning of Marley and Me, and even though I didn't read all of it, I'm pretty sure the book is as good (maybe even better) than the book.

spyscribbler 12/27/2008 08:00:00 AM  

Rick, I never thought to ask Glenn. That's a good thought. I'm starting to think on my goals for next year.

spyscribbler 12/27/2008 08:01:00 AM  

Colby, when I saw your picture of Edda, I thought they looked similar! You'd love it, I bet! Button was awesome, too!

writtenwyrdd 12/27/2008 06:04:00 PM  

Sounds like you enjoyed yourselves. I've done that on weekends before. Some of my favs were walking around San Francisco, leaving the house about 6 on a Saturday morning, going for coffee and bagel, walking to the theatre to see a movie at 8am (really!) and browsing used bookstores and the Haight between other movies. Then, at 11pm, I'd hit the Five Star theatre which showed a double feather kung fu fest every Saturday, and I'd get home at 3 am! A blast!

dommy 12/28/2008 10:25:00 AM  

It's been a while since I've been to see a movie in a theater. And even then, the most recent flicks I've seen have been at the Detroit Film Theater in the Detroit Institute of Arts. I usually end up waiting so long to see something, that I end up watching it on cable...which just isn't the same, is it?
Sounds like a great day!
Doubt sounds intriguing. I'd like to see Sean Penn in Milk (I've read beaucoup stellar reviews of that performance), and I'd love to see Cadillac Records because I love a lot of the artists portrayed there-plus I'd like to see what they do with the story of Chess Records in that film.

Dominique 12/28/2008 10:27:00 AM  

Boy, do I hate it when I accidentally switch back to my Google account when posting comments...that "dommy" link doesn't lead anywhere.
But this one does...

:)

spyscribbler 12/28/2008 08:09:00 PM  

Oh, wow, Written! That sounds like a dream come true! Wow, I know I just said this, but that day sounds perfect, to me!

spyscribbler 12/28/2008 08:10:00 PM  

Dominique, I want to see Milk, too! I blinked and it was in and out of the theater, so I'm a little bummed about that. Hopefully it will be in the second-run theaters!

Dube 12/29/2008 12:14:00 AM  

Benjamin Button was good? Great, I will definitely have to see it! I've been wondering if it would be worth the money, but so many people are saying wonderful things about it, it looks like I'll have to go.

Dube 12/30/2008 07:21:00 PM  

So I just saw Benjamin Button yesterday and I agree, it was wonderful!

spyscribbler 12/30/2008 08:29:00 PM  

LOL, Dube, and look how behind I am on this post! Wasn't it great? I think it's one of the best movies I've seen this year, and I can't wait to read it!