Sunday, December 21, 2008

What Are Your Kid Stories?

image So I have GREAT news! Glenn brought up adoption yesterday. We're also officially "trying," but he also brought up adopting some older kids in two years or so, if we find we can't have one.

When we got home, I had this insane, obsessive desire to clean.

He's leaving in eight days, so while I'm hoping for a miracle, it's more likely that I'm going to spend the next three months, while he's gone, detoxing and preparing my body, in the hopes...

Anyway, I saw my niece yesterday. She's two and just ADORABLE. When I got there, she was sitting in her high chair, and she kept smiling at me. (Probably because I was grinning at her like an idiot, LOL.) Then she kept taking me to a couch in the den, sitting me down, and babbling at me for five minute straight spurts. She has a lot to say.

image She can also talk. She told me to "open" the pool table, so we could play with the "balls." And when we played the four-foot singing Santa, she would say, "More Santa!" And I'd ask, "You want Santa to sing more?" And she'd say, "Okay. Okay, more Santa."  And later she'd say, "More Santa. Okay."

It was adorable. She even took my hand and pulled me into the den, once, and I was certain I'd just won the million-dollar lottery.

image So I want to ask: what was your journey like to have kids? To try? Or your decision not to? Any fun Christmas stories involving your children? Or other children? Any kid stories at all? I am so in the mood!



PS: I will be scarce the next eight days, while I savor the last 8 days with Glenn, before he leaves for 3.5 months. I have three guest bloggers, though! On Monday, Edie is blogging about opening up (a great blog, made me tear up!). On Tuesday, Zoe is blogging on were lore, and on Wednesday, Melanie is blogging about her experience moving to Mexico. Hopefully, I'll be back online for little bits here and there, or at least after he leaves. But if I'm in and out, I'll catch up later!

47 bonus scribbles:

Stephen Parrish 12/21/2008 11:21:00 AM  

I entered fatherhood thinking it would be just another new facet to my life. How naive I was. Becoming a father was the absolute best thing I ever did, better than everything else I ever did combined.

Melanie Avila 12/21/2008 11:55:00 AM  

Spy, I'm so excited for you! I was going to comment that you should get offline since he's leaving soon, but you said that yourself. I still need to email you some pictures for my post.

My nephew here is just adorable. He hated me when I arrived because he'd bonded with my husband, but now he loves me too. We talk on the phone (interesting in Spanish - I typically just say the same things every time) and he even asks to talk to me. So sweet.

Edie 12/21/2008 11:56:00 AM  

Spy, thanks for saying that about my blog. I'm smiling.

Great baby pics! Glad you had such a great time with your niece. My husband and I didn't have to make a decision about pregnancy. I come from a fertile family, and we get pregnant even with precautions.

Robin 12/21/2008 12:28:00 PM  

Spy, that's wonderful! You'll make such a terrific mom!

I stopped having a period when I was about 25, so I had Clomid treatments for a year. It was pretty stressful, but then we had Kevin, which was wonderful. I thought of myself as infertile, and we didn't bother with birth control, figuring that when we wanted another kid we'd go back to Clomid. When Kevin was 5 months old I got pregnant with Alex! We were like, "Oh! We're happy, right?"

Travis Erwin 12/21/2008 01:20:00 PM  

Here's hoping things work out for y'all.

spyscribbler 12/21/2008 01:50:00 PM  

Oh, Stephen, I'm almost scared to want something this much, but I can't help it. My hopes are so high, there's no stopping them.

spyscribbler 12/21/2008 01:52:00 PM  

Melanie, totally! I have a bit today at Borders to finish up my internetting, LOL. :-)

Your nephew sounds like the cutest! That's so sweet!

Melanie Avila 12/21/2008 02:10:00 PM  

Robin, I bet you're glad now to have them so close, right? That would be scary!

spyscribbler 12/21/2008 02:33:00 PM  

I loved your blog, Edie! It totally made me blush, though! LOL!

Wow, you can't, like, mentally send me some of that magic, can you?

spyscribbler 12/21/2008 04:50:00 PM  

Wow, Robin, that's an incredible story! That is so cool. They keep saying the statistics are more probably that if I do get pregnant at this age, I'm more likely at this age, than any other, to have twins.

I'm choosing to read those statistics, and not the other ones citing my chances of getting pregnant at 35, LOL.

spyscribbler 12/21/2008 04:50:00 PM  

Thanks, Travis! And Happy Birthday! Josephine's cake is COOL, LOL!

LaDonna 12/21/2008 04:59:00 PM  

Spy, first off you made my day with those pics, and your post! I LOVE babies, everything about them, and wanted mine more than anything in the world. I wish you much success!

You're in for a fun ride too. There's still a fascination with the younger grandkids for running water, toilet flushing, body noises, and the list goes on. LOL.

spyscribbler 12/21/2008 05:51:00 PM  

Oh, LaDonna, I'm praying with all my heart. My mother is like, "If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have kids." But, for whatever inexplicable reason, I want it with everything I've got. And it's like, I suddenly woke up at 35 and realized I didn't have any more time!

So I'm praying like crazy, LOL.

Robin 12/21/2008 06:37:00 PM  

Melanie,it's fun now, I have to admit. But at the time I felt pretty overwhelmed!

Spy, 35 is young!! Most of my friends had their first kids at 40. Throw those statistics down the drain, Girl!

writtenwyrdd 12/21/2008 07:34:00 PM  

Good wishes for that venture! I never was cut out to be a parent and chose not to become one, but children really are such wonderful gifts. Their joy in new things, their trust, just their energy levels are so great. My niece will be eighteen in a month, and it's like yesterday I was at her parents' wedding. Time just flies.

Have a lovely holiday season!

spyscribbler 12/21/2008 08:33:00 PM  

Robin, really? Oh, that's awesome to hear! You know, I'm like a woman on a mission. I've written a million words towards this child's health insurance, LOL, cleaned half my house this morning, and asked DH to tell me his sexual fantasies.

Never before have I been so willing. I don't care what we do, LOL, as long as we get that thing in there at the right time!

spyscribbler 12/21/2008 08:35:00 PM  

Writtenwyrdd, it's hard to do that. We decided that, but it turned out I didn't want to do that. Still, I sympathize. I mean, the world conspires to make you feel like shit, sometimes, you know?

Whatever you do, don't go see "Four Christmases." The message of the movie was, "You suck if you don't have children."

I walked out of there feeling this tall.

I don't understand why the pressure is there. I think I decided not to have kids, for as long as I did, simply because the world said I had to, LOL.

Edie 12/21/2008 09:27:00 PM  

Wow, you can't, like, mentally send me some of that magic, can you?

I'm sending the fertile fairy over to you right now!

My mother had 5 children between the ages of 31 and 39. And with the last two, she and my dad were using protection. So it can happen!

conley730 12/21/2008 09:39:00 PM  

I'm so excited for you, Spy! I always said I didn't want to have kids, then one day...TICK TOCK...I had to have a kid RIGHT NOW! We tried for a little over a year with no success. Then I went to see a fertility doc and found out I had polycystic ovarian syndrome (I didn't ovulate), so I took one dose of clomid and ex-hubby and I did our "homework". When I went in the next day the doc decided I should have intrauterine insemination. That only works about 15% of the time so I was really trying not to get my hopes up! Well, it worked. One dose of clomid and I was preggers...with twins! It's been so much fun. As for cute Christmas memories - the boys were so tiny for their first Christmas that I stripped them down to their diapers and put them in their stockings for pictures. They are so cute!!!

laughingwolf 12/21/2008 10:06:00 PM  

i'm with steve, the best thing that ever happened to me... three times!

third was a boy, and every time he squawked, we all ran to see what the trouble was

needless to say, i nicknamed him: the boss... for that reason ;)

older daughter grads with her master's this coming spring... damn, i feel OLD :O lol

g'luck with your options, whether your own or adopted, arrival of kids changes everything

Merry Monteleone 12/21/2008 10:36:00 PM  

First, I am sending you ooodles of fertility luck... and a petition to St. Gerard. (I know you're not Catholic, but I've never seen it fail, so couldn't hurt).

I had my three in a five year span... from age 24 to 29. I wasn't trying, though I wasn't actively not trying either... I just kind of said, "whatever I get is what I get"... I got a handful :-)

My best friend doesn't have kids, she just got married last year. When I told her I was pregnant with my third she said, "Another one?" as if I lost my mind... which I might have, I think you lose a few IQ points with each, but then you also gain a lot of things you didn't even know you were missing.

Having kids, not having kids... you know, there's no right or wrong way to live your life. Embrace what you have, strive for what you desire, and love the people you're blessed with... that's pretty much it.

Merry Merry Christmas, if I don't catch you around the bloggy-sphere between now and then. Enjoy your time with the Mister, and hang some extra mistletoe this year... also wine doesn't hurt :-)

rjkeller 12/21/2008 11:07:00 PM  

Yeay Spy! :-)


My hubby & I had an easy time getting pregnant, but a difficult time staying that way. After my fourth miscarriage, we finally had our son.

It was a rather rough delivery, and the doctor and nurses wanted me to get some sleep, so after a couple of hours of Mommy/son bonding time, they took him into the nursery so I could sleep.

I'll admit it...I fell asleep right away. My room was right across from the nursery and after about two hours I was awoken by a baby's crying. Even though I'd only been a mother for four hours, and even though I'd only spent two of them with my son, I knew it was him. The nurses didn't bring him into my room, though, because they really just wanted me to rest.

I had to have him, though. I slipped into the nursery and sure enough, my son was the cryin' one. As soon as I held him, the crying stopped. I took him back to my room with me and didn't let him leave.

When I had my daughter nineteen months later, the nurses knew better than to try to take her into the nursery.

Lisa 12/21/2008 11:08:00 PM  

Sorry to hear that your husband is going away for so long.

I have a 25 year old daughter from a previous marriage but my husband and I don't have any children between us. (If you count the cats, then we have 5)

mom2brie,  12/22/2008 12:08:00 AM  

OH SPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sending you oddles and oddles of baby dust!!!!

Having Brie has brought me more joy and happiness than anything else in my life. It is also the most important thing that I've ever done. I pray and pray that I will influence her to have a positive life, a life that improves this world, and brings her contentment.

I KNOW you will do the same. I KNOW you will be an incredible mom. We tried four months - the biggest thing I learned was graphing my morning temp so I knew exactly when I was ovulating (turned out my cycle is shorter than normal) and learning about cervical mucus etc. I used an online program to do this that made it really easy.

Thanks for sharing this fantastic news!!!!!!

Janna Qualman 12/22/2008 10:01:00 AM  

How exciting! Best of luck to you through this new, fantastic journey.

With our first, it was two weeks from the decision to try to conception, and it was six months with our second. Two great pregnancies (aside from the usual miseries...) and we have two precious daughters (5 and 3). Christmas is so special with them!

Erica Orloff 12/22/2008 10:42:00 AM  

Hi Spy:
Late to this party but . . . everyone who looks at my kids' ages (18, 13, 11, and 3) and my age (ahem . . . post-40) assumes the Demon Baby bringing up the rear was an "Oops." In fact, he was very much wanted, and I got pregnant with him the first month I tried and had the easiest pregnancy of all four of them.

All I can say is . . . Abraham Maslow talks about "peak experiences"--those moments that transcend everything and bring you to some spiritual pinnacle. For me, every single birth was that--such a high, such an extraordinary thing. And though at times I am stretched very thin, I cannot imagine my life without all my children . . . and I don't think I am "done." I would like to adopt two more at some point.

E

StarvingWriteNow 12/22/2008 11:50:00 AM  

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, dearest. Keep us all posted!

spyscribbler 12/22/2008 02:34:00 PM  

Wow, Edie! I've totally got my hand open for the magic fertility dust! :-)

spyscribbler 12/22/2008 02:36:00 PM  

Erin, that's exactly how I feel! Like, it's true, I've always wanted kids, went through a few years where I gave up on it, and then suddenly, BAM, it's like, I MUST HAVE ONE NOW!

spyscribbler 12/22/2008 02:37:00 PM  

Laughingwolf, the boss? I love that, LOL! That's great! I bet he's a keeper. :-)

I'm in for it. If we have a boy who's anything like his father, I'm going to have a handful!

spyscribbler 12/22/2008 02:39:00 PM  

Merry, I'll always be a bit Catholic in spirit! :-) I'll totally have to petition St. Gerard.

And LOL about the mistletoe!

conley730 12/22/2008 02:43:00 PM  

One of my Catholic friends gave me the St. Gerard card with the prayer on it and I prayed that prayer every day. I still have the card in fact. Good luck!

spyscribbler 12/22/2008 02:48:00 PM  

Wow, RJ, that's amazing! Wow! That gives me chills. I really hope I have that kind of instinct. The only way they'd get him out of my arms is if I passed out in exhaustion. I suppose that's quite a likely scenario, though, LOL!

spyscribbler 12/22/2008 02:59:00 PM  

Lisa, we've got four cats, and they sure are a blessing, each of them! They are definitely family.

sex scenes at starbucks 12/22/2008 04:20:00 PM  

I'm not the happiest pregnant person. It started, for me, with throwing up, and got worse from there.

Then you see their wee little faces, and meet their eyes for the first time, and...well. I'll never forget the injections, the throwing up, etc. But if that's the price I had to pay, then so be it. My six year old still crawls in my lap for a cuddle every morning. My son still confides in me. You can't trade that. You really can't.

Sarah Laurenson 12/22/2008 09:11:00 PM  

Um, yeah, that biological ass kicking we get around 35 or so. I was just a bit older than that. Turned out not to be a good time for me to have a child. I have done a lot of maybeing around the subject after that. That was about 10 years ago and now I think about adopting an older child to give him/her a boost before going out into adult life. Not sure what willa ctually happen. I know it's not happening today.

My grandfather was a twin. I was afraid I'd throw a litter if I got pregnant and have fraternal sets of identical twins.

spyscribbler 12/23/2008 12:29:00 AM  

Mom2brie, I sure hope that baby dust kicks in! I pray with everything I've got that we have a baby.

spyscribbler 12/23/2008 12:29:00 AM  

Wow, Janna, that's wonderful! I'll pray for that luck, for sure!

spyscribbler 12/23/2008 12:32:00 AM  

Wow, Erica, that gives me hope! LOL, he was the easy pregnancy? The clever little guy. He was foolin' you, huh? No clue he was going to be the demon!

spyscribbler 12/23/2008 12:33:00 AM  

Thank you, Writenow. I think I need them!

spyscribbler 12/23/2008 12:33:00 AM  

Erin, I totally looked up his prayer. :-)

spyscribbler 12/23/2008 12:34:00 AM  

LOL, sex scenes! Isn't that one time that you get to be as hormonal as you want? You must be a special mother to inspire that!

spyscribbler 12/23/2008 12:35:00 AM  

Oh, Sarah, that's the perfect expression! It's the worst hormonal ass-kicking I've ever gotten. It's terrible. My hormones are just going NUTS. They are totally freaking out! I don't know which end is up!

Zoe Winters 12/23/2008 12:46:00 AM  

Awwww. Cute baby pics! I have never had baby fever, and don't think I ever will. I'm probably too selfish for kids. I'd love kids if I could have them maybe two days a week and the rest of the time they were somewhere else. ;)

Yeah, great mom material, huh? :P

I can barely handle cats.

I hope you and Glenn are able to have some. Sometimes I feel like a shithead because I don't want any, and I know how badly some other people do.

Ello 12/23/2008 11:55:00 AM  

That's wonderful news! I wish you all the best as being a Mom is the most wonderful thing I have ever experienced!

And have a wonderful Christmas and a happy new year!

Best,

E

Rhonda Stapleton 12/24/2008 12:24:00 PM  

dude, I just saw this. AWESOME!!! I have everything crossed that it turns out wonderfully. :D

Janet 12/28/2008 12:10:00 AM  

I was so excessively fertile, it was ridiculous. Our first baby came 9 months and 3 days after we got married. The next one less than two years later. The third one less than two years later than that. And then a fourth (all boys). And when the oldest was just 8, the girl. And there were a couple of miscarriages in there too, as well as an ovarian cyst. A nurse in the ob/gyn ward looked at me once and said, "Weren't you here before?" I told her that if I came any more, I'd have to sign the lease.

It was seriously a relief to stop heading for the hospital about once a year.

Cute Christmas stories? Boy #3 calling breakfast cereal Rice Christmas Trees. Boy #1 learning how to walk just in time for his first Christmas, and sporting a nasty cut over his eye from a tumble in the Montreal train station on the way to visit his grandparents. Boy #4 crawling around in search of a willing brother to stick a candy cane in his mouth.

And it's really lovely now, when they all come trickling home for Christmas, and reminisce together. And I look at them all, so different from each other, and am amazed.