Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Eight Stages of A New Habit

image They sound funny, but they're true. Instead of beating yourself up for not exercising today, congratulate yourself for reaching Phase 2!

Well, I do. Seriously.

Presenting the eight stages of a new habit:

Phase 1: You forget completely.
Phase 2: You forget, but remember later.
Phase 3: You remember you want to do it, but don't.
Phase 4: You remember to do it, but don't the next day.
Phase 5: You fall on and off the wagon.
Phase 6: You go in streaks, only falling off once in awhile.
Phase 7: You go 40 days straight.
Phase 8: You forget, but do it automatically, anyway.

image I'm super good at Phase 2 and 3. Expert. :-)

How are your New Year's Goals and Resolutions going? I'm at about 50%, and I'm congratulating myself on that.

Whether I should or not, LOL. :-)

Considering there are 51 more weeks left in the year, even if you're at Phase 1 or 2, you have plenty of time left. :-) Go for it!

Please remember to check out Habitat for Travis, if you are able to pitch in with money or prayers or thoughts: his house burned to the ground.

Also, Barack Obama has a new website to connect neighbors together for service projects at USAservice.org. (Via the brilliant mom2brie!)

6 bonus scribbles:

Edie 1/08/2009 12:25:00 AM  

I'm at Phase 5. Not bad, since I started Monday. lol I got a book this morning, sent by UPS, and read it already. So I wrote half of my goal word count today. But I did more than my goal count on Monday and Tuesday, so I'm doing all right.

I exercised today too. As far as eating ... well, let's just say I age. And I did go to the Habitat for Travis site this morning. Thanks for passing it on.

spyscribbler 1/08/2009 01:44:00 AM  

Not bad, Edie? That's awesome! You read a book you got this morning and finished it? What book?! That must have been one awesome book! Please do tell!

I'm not making my word count today, but I've spent hours re-reading and editing. *sigh*

Melanie Avila 1/08/2009 09:18:00 AM  

My goals have been shot out the window, but I'm still trying. As you say, there's still 51 weeks left (although that makes it sound like a short period of time).

Susan Helene Gottfried 1/08/2009 12:12:00 PM  

Goals? What are they?

I really stopped in to say Eureka! Watch your e-mail...

Lauren 1/08/2009 07:09:00 PM  

I love your Eight Stages! So cute and so true.

My word count isn't hitting what I would like, but I'm getting ready to go on vaca and am the type that writes alot on vaca so I'll make it up. My other goals are going pretty well :). Except the recycling is around a 3 or 4, which makes me sad.

Robin 1/09/2009 05:10:00 PM  

Wow! Those 8 stages are incredibly true. I think you've got a viable theory here.