Saturday, January 03, 2009

I Love People; I Am A Blogaholic

image Sure, I'm not very talkative to strangers. I make a point of saying "thank you" to every clerk, cashier, attendant, and waitress. But if they start talking, I'm all ears. And oftentimes, inexplicably, people start talking to me. (Or maybe that's normal, LOL!)

I just find people fascinating.



Which sounds like a nice thing, but do you see my blogroll? Why is it so long? Because EVERY time one of you mentions a fellow blogger, I end up going to their blog. I end up scrolling through the posts and 99.5% of the time, I think, "Wow! What a fascinating person! I can't wait to read more about her/him!"

Seriously, finding new blogs is one of my favorite things about blogging. I just love reading about people's lives and feelings.

There are a good number of blogs I just read, just because I find the person interesting. I've never introduced myself, never commented. I just read.

Then, of course, there are the blogging friends, where I comment/they comment and it's more real, you know?

image Then with this follow feature, it's terrible, because I figure the people following the fascinating blog I've just discovered will be just as interesting! And off I go! And in a matter of a half hour, I have fifteen new blogs in my reader and blogroll.

I can't help it.

Is this a writer thing? Do you have this problem? Do you just not click, and thereby resist the temptation? I mean, I don't know many others who try to keep up with over 200 blogs. It's a little embarrassing. Or is this fascination normal?

42 bonus scribbles:

Edie 1/03/2009 12:13:00 PM  

Spy, I'm not as bad as you, but I have way too many blogs I follow in my Google Reader. Blog reading takes up way too much of my days. But instead of cutting down, I'm adding more to my list.

Is there an 12-step program for this?

Kath Calarco 1/03/2009 12:31:00 PM  

I was trying to think up a 1-800 number, but couldn't come up with anything that fit under seven letters.

It's like dieting, the more you try to stop, the more you want that teeny-tiny Hershey Kiss.

Rick 1/03/2009 12:43:00 PM  

Actually, I visit you some of the people who are regulars on Charles's blog and a few others. Maybe 10-15 per week if I'm lucky. I have so many writing projects to finish this year that I have a tough time getting out and about electronically.

Plus, that meeting people face-to-face thing is important to me.


On top of it, most of my book research involves pretty out and about things- this year, I'm going into the salt mines beneath Detroit, interviewing and going into the field with 10 Sasquatch hunters, spending time in haunted houses, investigating Michigan's mysterious mounds, and heading back to St. Kitts to finish a novel. Crap I already feel bad for not working and visiting you. But because it's you, it's okay. Anybody else- no dice.

Now I'm back to work and you can't tempt me to read more blogs. Not going to do it- unless you've found a couple of really cool ones! :)

Jill Wheeler 1/03/2009 12:43:00 PM  

Hee, I also have a bad habit of adding blogs to my collection at an astounding rate!

JaneyV 1/03/2009 12:46:00 PM  

You know those names you keep seeing when you visit other blogs and you just know by the comments they leave that you'll love what they write? Well I've been resisting following those names because I already spend way too much time blogging. Way too much time. And then one day one of those names visits you and you visit back an you just can't figure out why you haven't visited before! I'm so glad I visited. My life has been so enriched by visiting wonderful blogs like yours. I think I'm just going to have to stop being so sensible and embrace the links!!!!

Eric Mayer,  1/03/2009 02:45:00 PM  

I have the problem that I find what people say about themselves fascinating but I kind of arbitrarily limit the blogs I read. I simply couldn't keep up otherwise, even with reading, let alone replying once in awhile.

Realmcovet 1/03/2009 02:48:00 PM  

"Hello. My name is Rachel, and I'm a blog-a-holic." :D

Yes, I love it!! Blog-a-holic indeed. You know what though? I love every second of getting to know people like you. I had been stalking your page for quite some time and was far too intimated to even dare to comment on anything you had to say, and then you commented on MY page and I about crapped my pants with joy. :D

So keep up the following, people will have had the pleasure of meeting you, and that can only be good thing Spy. :)

And you shouldn't be embarrassed, whether it's normal or not. It's YOU, and I love it. I too, find people fascinating, to a mortifyingly stalker-like degree. :DDDD

Heather Harper 1/03/2009 05:15:00 PM  

If I had more time and less children I think I too would have an ever growing blogroll.

Amy Nathan 1/03/2009 05:37:00 PM  

I have about 100 blogs on my list, but I don't add a blog unless I'm blown away - or I keep going back to it and find it just pulls me in. I have "regular" blogs and "writing" blogs. I don't read all of them all the time, but sometimes I have a time where I'll play catch-up. I've followed some people for a few years now, which is really amazing. I also do take people off my list if I lose interest.

No chance of that here!

Robin 1/03/2009 09:23:00 PM  

Definitely add me to the blog a holic list! I try to resist checking out new blogs, because before I know it I'm hooked and they're on my Google Reader. If a person comments on my blog I'm doomed. I always check out their blog and that's that.

I've gotten to the point where I check on blogs between patients, so I don't fall behind in my blog reading. How sick is that?

Janna Qualman 1/03/2009 09:59:00 PM  

I often wonder if people see some sort of sign on me: "Tell me everything." Seriously, I must have that "good listener" look to me. :) And I usually don't mind.

And! I read a blurb in On Writing last night and thought of you. King says he doesn't like Rose Madder! He thinks it's "uninspiring" and "trying too hard." Crazy, ain't? I'm still gonna get it at the library...

Susan Helene Gottfried 1/03/2009 10:16:00 PM  

I actually have been culling my subscriptions in my reader. I realized that I was spending a LOT of time scrolling through the same blogs, day after day. What's the point? Fear of missing out on something? Hardly a reason.

That's good for you friends, though. You should (in theory) see more of me in these comment trails.

colbymarshall 1/03/2009 10:50:00 PM  

I found that I read WAY too many blogs, so I finally cut it back to just trying to visit blogs that comment on my own regularly, unless it's just something insanely spectacular like CutewithChris.com I love that one.

Aimless Writer 1/03/2009 11:49:00 PM  

Its a blessing...and a curse.
I do the same thing and have to restrain myself or I never get anything done. I could go a whole day blogging around. lol
I think Edie is right, we need a 12 step. 1st step; admitting there's a problem. Okay, we've done that.
2nd step; recognise a higher power. The internet? Microsoft?
3rd step; Examine past behavior... Oh, remember that great blog about...
Wait, I don't think that's what they meant.
and so it goes...

Angie 1/04/2009 01:26:00 AM  

Worse, actually. :P I started out on LiveJournal, and my main journal there has 143 individual journals friended and is watching 143 (very weird coincidence, which I just noticed) communities, although about a dozen of those are filtered off because I've only ever posted a story there and don't read. My "normal" persona reads another 35 people and 2 communities on InsaneJournal (which is a bolthole for when/if LJ goes nuts again like it did 1.5 years ago), and 32 people and 7 communities on JournalFen. My LiveJournal under my writing pseud has 49 people and 5 communities. Off LJ, I have 78 blogs subscribed in my reader, plus about 10 more I visit periodically, but which aren't set up to let readers subscribe.

[pantpantpant]

And yeah, I love running into new journals and blogs. [headdesk] What I usually do, if someone is just absolutely fascinating or fun or whatever, is look at how often they post. If it's more than once a day, I probably don't subscribe. If it's like fifty times a year or more, I definitely don't subscribe. (Although I read some who post that often now, who didn't when I first subscribed. Sneaky rats.) I'm determinedly avoiding BoingBoing and John Scalzi, right off the top of my head, for that reason, and I've backed away from any number of other sites. I just don't have time, and in fact some time soon I'm going to have to go through and prune. I don't want to, but I'm running out of writing time. :/

Anyway, yeah. Empathy. [wry smile]

Angie

PS -- the upside of this is that when I have a story come out, or similar news to announce, I have a lot of places to post it, LOL!

sex scenes at starbucks 1/04/2009 01:48:00 AM  

My fascination is short-lived, I'm afraid. I get obsessive about someone and then die off sometimes. Not enough time in the day.

Melanie Avila 1/04/2009 10:46:00 AM  

I sometimes check out the links other people have, but usually only if the same link has popped up on a couple different blogs that I already read. To me, that says I'll probably like what they have to say (like a recommendation from a couple friends). Sometimes I'll add someone and they don't update very often, so I quickly lose interest. But I DO like talking to people I meet out and about.

LaDonna 1/04/2009 01:41:00 PM  

Hey Spy, I'm not blog addictive I don't think. My multi-skill talent is way low for that, and all I can manage is to blog in two places and write stories...not to mention daily life. I have my favs, though, and visit those faithfully. Can't imagine not meeting you and others. I like that it's something you can do whenever, and that makes it convenient. Even though I don't have a long blog list, I'd be lost without all of you.

spyscribbler 1/04/2009 03:43:00 PM  

Edie, I feel guilty, too. Every now and then, I cut back a little, but then I add twice as many more! It's terrible! (Well, it's also fun... )

Lisa 1/04/2009 03:44:00 PM  

I hear you! I follow blog links sometimes so nested I don't remember when I started.
I also will push the 'next' blog to check out what I can find and have found a few interesting.
I tend to always check out the blogs of people who use animals, especially cats, as their avatar.
Your blogger, rick motivated me to use my own babies as my avatar, although I'll probably change it to just one of my babies since it's a bid hard to see all my babies in the jumbled bundle for a little avatar. (3 of them are black)
(I have a purring kitty on my lap :-) Life is good.

spyscribbler 1/04/2009 03:44:00 PM  

Kath, I tried to think up one, too, but I couldn't! Totally, totally, get the comparison between chocolate and blogging. :-)

(Especially since I'm eating "Belgian Chocolate" ice cream topping straight from the jar right now!

spyscribbler 1/04/2009 03:53:00 PM  

Rick, stay away from Google Reader. I only visited ten or so, then I started using the reader so they'd all be in one place. I was shocked it took me so much less time. And then I'd add one more, and one more... and that's how the disease began.

It's the gateway drug!

You have an exciting year! I'm saving up for an adventure (that'll last many years!), starting mid-2010. It's getting so close, I'm beside myself. But until then, all work and no life. :-)

spyscribbler 1/04/2009 03:54:00 PM  

LOL, Jill! Even when I'm trying to cut back, and I'm behind, off I go!

spyscribbler 1/04/2009 03:58:00 PM  

Janey! It's so true! LOL! So many times, I'll see someone around the blogosphere FOREVER, and then, bam!, finally I visit one day. And I'll have no idea why it took me so long!

:-)
Natasha

spyscribbler 1/04/2009 04:00:00 PM  

Eric, I understand! I am way behind. Which is why I was completely perplexed, the other day, when during my allotted hour for blogging, I added more blogs! Sheesh!

spyscribbler 1/04/2009 04:02:00 PM  

LOL, Realmcovet! Or can I call you Rachel? :-)

I'm so glad you commented here! I forget how I found your blog, but I remember you had some post up and I was like, "Oh yeah," click-click into my reader. :-)

spyscribbler 1/04/2009 04:02:00 PM  

I bet, Heather! I'd trade you the blog time for children in a heartbeat.

spyscribbler 1/04/2009 04:05:00 PM  

Awwww, thanks, Amy! I do have some arbitrary, rather unfair rules, just to contain my madness. Like, if they don't have a full feed, I just don't add. Except for Lainey and... one other person. Oh! Edie! I don't think she has full feed either. Virginia, too!

To be a partial feed and be in my google reader is an extra special compliment, LOL!

spyscribbler 1/04/2009 04:06:00 PM  

Robin, I TOTALLY check on blogs in between students! And if a student is murdering scales and I need to distract myself so I don't become a hovering, crazy, backseat-driving teacher, I'll sometimes do a quick skim to divert myself, LOL.

spyscribbler 1/04/2009 04:07:00 PM  

Janna, you do have a listening face! just by your picture!

You're kidding! He said that? I have to admit, the ending was... weird. There were a few bits I skimmed, but all in all, I really loved it.

The opening will just blow you away. I still can't get over it. It's perfect!

spyscribbler 1/04/2009 04:26:00 PM  

Susan, me too! I thought, why should I be skimming, and missing the meaningful relationships I have with other bloggers?

I've put in a skimming folder, now, so I can skim when I feel like it. I've also grouped my blogs in five arbitrary groups, so if I get behind, I can start with the next group, rather than restarting at the top and never getting to everyone I want to see.

(Okay, I've put too much thought into this, haven't I?)

spyscribbler 1/04/2009 04:31:00 PM  

Colby! There goes another one in my reader. Have you been to Cake Wrecks? I have zero interest in cakes, but sometimes you just need a few blogs to make you smile every day, you know?

spyscribbler 1/05/2009 10:48:00 AM  

LOL, Aimless! I did spend all day last Wednesday blogging, for ten hours! I must control myself!

spyscribbler 1/05/2009 10:51:00 AM  

Angie, I tried to do the whole LiveJournal thing, but it never clicked with me. I never really understood it. I finally gave up, LOL.

I understand what you mean. It makes me sympathize with agents. When there are just so many good queries out there, you have to throw away the ones that are on orange paper, or in unreadable font, etc.

spyscribbler 1/05/2009 10:52:00 AM  

Sex Scenes, I can understand that! I've been falling off the bandwagon big-time since the beginning of the year. My goals take up a lot of time!

Angie 1/05/2009 10:52:00 AM  

LJ is easy but it does have its quirks, and they can be confusing to a beginner. If you ever decide you want to try again :D give me a holler and I'll help you get set up.

Angie

spyscribbler 1/05/2009 10:53:00 AM  

Melanie, I know what you mean. Sometimes I add someone because they have cool posts up, but then, when they update a month later, I don't know who they are. And they don't update often enough for my brain to figure it out, LOL!

spyscribbler 1/05/2009 10:54:00 AM  

LaDonna, so true. What would I do without you guys? Without the blogosphere? I can't imagine it!

spyscribbler 1/05/2009 10:55:00 AM  

Lisa, I've looked at that feature, but every time I press it, I get a blog in another language, LOL. It sounds like fun, though! I'm going to try it more often.

At the moment, I'm surrounded by all four of my kitties. I think they're just cold, but I like the cuddling, LOL!

spyscribbler 1/05/2009 10:57:00 AM  

Thanks, Angie! I'll keep that in mind. It looks cool, it really does!

BBJD 1/05/2009 07:05:00 PM  

I figure the people following the fascinating blog I've just discovered will be just as interesting! And off I go!

How do you think I got here? I no longer remember the path.

I don't always Follow. Most of the time I just add an interesting blog to Favorites. Then, when I make my morning cat rounds I just follow the list.

Bevie

Lauren 1/06/2009 09:43:00 AM  

I love reading blogs, but tend to be more of a lurker than a commenter on most blogs. I just love blogs because I love the opportunity to get to see what other people are like and I write because I like to explore what makes us human. My motivations behind writing and my motivations behind reading blogs are similar. So, for me at least, my reading of blogs is a "writer thing".