Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Inspiration & Contradictions

image So about this idea a day thing, it's odd. On the days when I'm struck by an inspiring idea, my ideas are nothing as great as the days when I must manually craft one. I'm also doing a pitch paragraph a week, and so far, I love both of my storylines, so it's going to be hard to choose which one to explore this month for three chapters. Even harder to decide which novel I'm going to write in March.

In the last few weeks, I've left comments here and there, which later strike me as the opposite of what I commented a year or two ago. I find this interesting.

I'm pretty sure I said, two years ago, that I don't think of theme, but I let it naturally happen. I think I said the same thing of symbols.

Now I can't imagine writing something without knowing what I want the story to say.

image But then I sort of forgot what I want my current WIP to say. I guess not, but kind of. Once I decide, I let it sit in my subconscious, I guess.

And I was just telling my best friend that, when I make a post, you guys' comments often change my mind. I like that. I want my mind to be changeable.

What about you? Do you find yourself making opposite comments sometimes, and realize you've changed your perspective?

What, about writing, have you changed your mind on? Method? Genre? Technique? Anything?

20 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 1/14/2009 12:40:00 PM  

does changing my mind over writing vs. not writing count? (lol!)

I don't know when Fireplace Borders will make it into my schedule (hellacious right now) but I will try! I definitely need to be around all that new book smell!

WendyCinNYC 1/14/2009 12:46:00 PM  

Oh yeah, all the time. That's why I like to write short stories. I can make quick changes.

Melanie Avila 1/14/2009 01:05:00 PM  

The only thing I've fluctuated on is outlining, but I don't want to turn your comments into another debate on that!

Edie 1/14/2009 02:05:00 PM  

I'm changing my methods right now. I'm 42K into my book and I'm stopping to do characterizations and even -- gulp -- some plotting.

The beginning was so clear to me when I began. Usually I see the next steps as I write, but with this one I'm walking blind. The story and my characters are too good to dump, so I need to find out more about the characters and plot my next steps.

Melanie Avila 1/14/2009 03:03:00 PM  

Edie, that's how I'm finding I like to plot a story. I write the first couple chapters in a tear, then stop to put together an outline and learn a little more about the characters. That way I don't lose my early enthusiasm, but still take the time to see what my characters want. (I was just reading Erica's comments so those thoughts are leaking in here, lol.)

Charles Gramlich 1/14/2009 03:39:00 PM  

It seems to me that others pick out the "theme" of my works better than I do. I'm just striving to write an entertaining story that holds together conceptually.

Robin 1/14/2009 05:26:00 PM  

I first think of my characters, and the main storyline, but I have no theme. Maybe I should change my mind about that and have a theme. I'm just afraid my theme would be really dumb, instead of inspiring. Like, "The world would be a better place if people ate more Pop Tarts."

Stewart Sternberg 1/14/2009 07:33:00 PM  

I love outlining...(just thought I would throw that into the arena to make people crazy).

But I have become Mr. Economy. I have focused on active voice and doing away with the unnecessary. I know that doesn't sound like anything big...but I think it was a transformative awareness...and I think it was the change that made me marketable.

It also made me sexy..in a strange and perverse way.

L.C. Gant 1/14/2009 08:34:00 PM  

I actually think that the more I write, the more my writing style changes. Kind of like a "practice makes perfect" thing.

That's definitely been the case with my current WIP. I used to get all hung up on worldbuilding details, but now I just make things up as I go during the rough draft and fill in the holes during the revision process.

Eric Mayer,  1/14/2009 11:33:00 PM  

I think I'm still developing writing methods -- never mind changing them!

My problem with comments is more making the same comment I made to a blogger a few months ago, and realizing it only afterwards naturally.

spyscribbler 1/15/2009 12:18:00 PM  

Certainly, WriteNow! I have to laugh, because I've had those discussions with myself before, and myself allows my brain to weigh pros and cons, to decide one way or another, and then it just goes on its merry way, ignoring my brain's decisions entirely, LOL.

spyscribbler 1/15/2009 12:18:00 PM  

Wendy, I love short stories! I enjoy your flash pieces, too!

spyscribbler 1/15/2009 12:19:00 PM  

Melanie, a debate is fun! I fluctuate on that, too.

spyscribbler 1/15/2009 12:19:00 PM  

Edie, that makes sense. In a way, I find that every book needs a different method in order to get written. I kind of like that.

spyscribbler 1/15/2009 12:20:00 PM  

Charles, sometimes the subconscious can bring up the best themes! I have to know mine, first, but I'm sure other people find other ones!

spyscribbler 1/15/2009 12:21:00 PM  

Robin, that's an awesome theme! Seriously! It works for Stephanie Plum and pastries. :-)

spyscribbler 1/15/2009 12:22:00 PM  

LOL, Stewart! I'm still struggling with that. I get paid by the word, so I don't have much motivation for that, except lately I've been writing novels squished into 52K words. That's the only reason I've been learning economy!

spyscribbler 1/15/2009 12:22:00 PM  

L.C., I think my writing style changes, but when I go back, I'm surprised at how much is similar. But then sometimes, I have to go back just to remember what my voice is like! I'm odd.

spyscribbler 1/15/2009 12:23:00 PM  

Eric, I find every book needs a different method, or at least slightly different. I thought I'd nailed down my method around #10, but nope. It always changes.

Realmcovet 1/16/2009 06:25:00 PM  

Change is a can be a beautiful thing.

I have changed, rechanged, made back to the same, and changed so many times over the span of my life. And I love that we as humanity have the freedom and capacity to do so. :)

I hear ya!!