Saturday, January 10, 2009

Snowed In. Days Off.

image The snow is up nearly to my knees, so I canceled my group lessons today. As I was walking the dog, the sheriff came by, and he said people aren't supposed to go out and the roads are terrible, so I was glad I did.

Sure was nice taking a walk in the snow, too.

It gives me that Snow Day! feeling, even though I've got writing to do. Which leads me to ask: do you take days off?

image I work seven days a week. If I'm not teaching or doing teaching-related stuff, I'm writing. I have a problem with guilt, and if I spend a day not writing or teaching, I feel guilty, which ruins the day off, so I may as well work.

Which got me to thinking: do you take days off? Carve out Sundays? Or Saturdays? And specifically not work?

image I was thinking how nice it would be to just curl up on the couch with hot chocolate and soup and watch movies all day. But I've got work to do.

What about you? Do you take weekends? Snow days? Vacations?

And what do you do on snow days?

41 bonus scribbles:

Melanie Avila 1/10/2009 11:06:00 AM  

Right now I don't take days off, but I also don't "work" for very long. Before Nano I followed the Rockin Writers thing of writing 5 days a week, and that was a good schedule. Since I'm trying to finish this draft I'm trying to force myself every day.

Anissa 1/10/2009 12:57:00 PM  

I take days off. The problem is when I do, they stretch into a week, then more. Not good. My mind gets cranky too. Then, when I come back to the writing, it's like work. So I'm best if I can do at least a little every day.

As for snow days...um what's that? ;) All we get are pollution advisory days. :(

Heather Harper 1/10/2009 01:58:00 PM  

I'm at my best when I work every day. Do I work everyday? No.

I'm like Anissa. When I take a day off, it turns into a sabatical.

Dube 1/10/2009 02:17:00 PM  

Is that a pic of your dog? :-)

I used to have "iced in" days when I worked full-time in Texas. Yep. Texas doesn't have the equipment to handle iced-over roads, so they just cancel everything. I remember one time I had 3 days off for that. I think I spent quite a bit of it e-mailing friends from work, lol.

Amy Nathan 1/10/2009 02:39:00 PM  

It's snowing here today too - although it's not up to my knees. I remember those lake effect snows where you are. Ten months there was enough for me - you are a brave woman!

I love a snow day as long as the power stays on.

I'm hunkered down with the dogs and Food Network and the computer.

Mary Moore 1/10/2009 02:44:00 PM  

I plan days off, but usually I get some work done those days as well. It's hard, esp. when you've got kids. I can't schedule the way I used to...or take time off.

L.C. Gant 1/10/2009 03:23:00 PM  

Hello, Spy! I found your blog from visiting Amy's and I'm glad I did. I love meeting people through their blogs and finding out what we have in common.

I live in Florida so we don't have snow days here, only hurricane watches, ugh! But I grew up in Minnesota and Colorado so I remember them well. I lived in Texas for a while too and Dube is right, every so often school and everything else was canceled for "ice days."

I try not to take days off because like some of the others said, a "break" can easily stretch on forever. Instead, I tend to have several projects going on at the same time, so that if I get stuck in one, I can switch gears to another.

Travis Erwin 1/10/2009 03:28:00 PM  

Hi Spy. Enjoy your snow day. I don't know when I'll get back to writing, but it is a comfort to stop here and read and feel like things are slowly getting back to normal. I owe a million thank yous and to all of my blogworld friends and I count you near the top. So thank you from me and my family.

Anonymous,  1/10/2009 05:10:00 PM  

I need TWO snow days to make it worthwhile, because the first day off I'm totally lazy and don't enjoy myself. But when I have a second day off I get motivated to do fun, day-off stuff. I never feel guilty about not working. You need to get over that! :)

marciacolette 1/10/2009 05:42:00 PM  

I don't specifically carve out days to not write. They sort of come up on me when I least expect it. If the muse isn't doing her thing and it's starting to get late, I simply close the laptop and either read or watch TV. Tomorrow is another day. ;-)

Stewart Sternberg 1/10/2009 07:18:00 PM  

On snow days? I sit around and wish I lived somewhere that didn't have snow days.

Edie 1/10/2009 07:26:00 PM  

I do take off sometimes. I took off during the holidays. Yesterday I had critiques and judging to do, so I did that instead of writing. Today I should be making up my pages, but I was busy all day. Life gets in the way sometimes.

Susan Helene Gottfried 1/10/2009 09:09:00 PM  

I've started taking a few hours off. I'm finding it helps.

I actually popped in to say it must be bad there. Which makes me admire my cousins even more; they drove in from Eastern Cleveland for a wedding here. A day trip. And she's seven-and-a-half months pregnant!!! How's THAT for awesome???

Robin 1/10/2009 09:31:00 PM  

Aarg! Everyone needs days off! I'm coming to get you and drag you on a day off. I'm sort of like Anissa, in that my days off from writing stretch into weeks and months if I don't watch out.

On snow days I go to work and watch no one show up. It's sort of relaxing.

McKoala 1/11/2009 04:25:00 AM  

Chill out. But not literally.

I've been taking too much time off recently!

lainey bancroft 1/11/2009 09:14:00 AM  

Snow days around here make for a lot of shoveling, which I suppose is a day off from writing but not exactly a day off!

Like you, I feel guilty if I'm not doing at least a little something every day to work toward 'the goal' and like many mentioned, a day off can lead to another and another and that makes it hard for me to recapture the momentum. I've had enough off days lately I think I'll have to either start a fresh story or start the one that's half finished back at the beginning and see if I can pick up the dropped stitches. :(

StarvingWriteNow 1/11/2009 09:43:00 AM  

I would not say I take a whole day off, per se, but I need time off. It's very important to me, in so many ways, to have "nothing" time. time when i just read or nap or do a crafty thing that I like. It's me time, and I guard it most jealously. It took me a long time to get away from the guilt if I indulged in "nothing" time but I have realized as I get older that I deserve that time, and the world isn't going to go to hell in a handbasket if I don't finish the laundry or whatever right now. Nothing time is precious. It's essential.

Charles Gramlich 1/11/2009 01:20:00 PM  

I used to be much like you, and I still am too much, with the guilt thing that is, but I've actually begun taking and enjoying days off more. It's worth the work to get there.

laughingwolf 1/11/2009 01:36:00 PM  

due to a minor disability, chronic tendinitis in both hands, am on tiny pension, so pretty much do as i please, which includes writing, reading, learning three new animation programs and my new wacom tablet, among other things ;) lol

as for snow, weather warning in effect here... and yup, it's coming down pretty good

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:12:00 PM  

Melanie, I kind of like that schedule, except it ends up being five days writing, two long days teaching, with no day off at all.

I think I need to declare a reading and movie day. Fill the well, you know?

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:13:00 PM  

Anissa, I've done that. They can really stretch! If I just start tomorrow...

... and then everything is all gluey and hard. :-(

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:13:00 PM  

Heather, me too. And: me, too. And again: me, too. To all three, LOL!

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:15:00 PM  

Dube, nah. Isn't he cute, though? I don't have a dog, actually, but I dogsit two cuties. :-)

I was driving through Oklahoma during a snowstorm, once. Man. They really don't know how to handle that stuff down there! LOL!

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:16:00 PM  

Amy, yes: power is important! Especially when it's cold! Our power never goes out in winter, but in summer and spring and fall, ALL the time!

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:17:00 PM  

Mary, you're lucky that you have kids. Yeah, I tend to feel that if I get done by 7pm, I have a day off, LOL!

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:21:00 PM  

L.C., nice to meet you! I love the title of your blog. :-) And your new twitter page!

Hurricanes are more scary than fun! At least snow storms let you play in the snow and stay home from work!

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:23:00 PM  

Aw, Travis, I hope you get a few days of normalcy. Normal problems, normal little happinesses. Being unsettled is no fun!

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:24:00 PM  

Anonymous, you're right! I need to get over that! When I go on vacation, it takes me about two or three days to relax and enjoy not doing anything.

Okay, who are you? Eric? I'm going with Eric, because he's always accidentally being anonymous. :-)

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:25:00 PM  

Marcia, too true! Sometimes, the best thing I can do is stop writing and refill myself up with movies or books. :-)

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:25:00 PM  

Stewart, I want to move somewhere warm, but I LOVE being snowed in! It's the only thing I'll miss! (I won't miss shoveling the driveway, though.)

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:26:00 PM  

Edie, you're right. I think my problem is that I don't plan my days off, so when I do take off, I feel guilty. I gotta stop that!

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:31:00 PM  

Oh wow, you're kidding, Susan! They are definitely brave! It was really nasty here. :-)

Time off makes me more productive, too. So why do I still feel guilty? It's silly!

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:32:00 PM  

Robin, a day off with you would be a blast! I know what you mean. I do the same thing: wait for people not to show up. It is sort of relaxing, although I get in that groove, so when someone does show up, I feel bummed, LOL!

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:32:00 PM  

HAH! McKoala, you made me laugh. Isn't that the truth? :-)

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:34:00 PM  

Lainey, we got a snow plow service, and I love it. I don't even feel guilty about it, which is pretty cool. :-)

I need to do something every day, too, I really do! I get off track, and then I can't pick up my dropped stitches!

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:35:00 PM  

Writenow, you're absolutely right. I used to guard Fridays--the WHOLE day--as sacred. I mean, I was like a growling lioness. No one, and I mean NO ONE could touch my Fridays.

And I started writing on Fridays, all day long, because I wanted to. And then writing became more of a job. And then suddenly, I turn around, and Friday is another work day. :-(

I need a day off again.

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:36:00 PM  

Charles, you are absolutely right. I need to make this a priority!

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:37:00 PM  

Laughing wolf, that's a cool gig, although I'm sorry about your hands. :-(

I love the snow! I really do!

Sarah Laurenson 1/11/2009 04:26:00 PM  

OMG. Love the picture of your snow dog!

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 06:11:00 PM  

Isn't he adorable, Sarah? He's just an image I googled, but he's uber-cute!

Barbara Martin 1/12/2009 10:59:00 PM  

Love the photo of your dog.

I've had four months off work for an injury, and have been fortunate enough to get some writing done. I try for one to three hours throughout the day and then try to do something else for the remainder.

When I was working full time I found I was too tired to write except for very brief periods. With the time off I've nearly completed the second manuscript, so I'm pleased with that.